mmm magazine

blueeyes

Hi all, well iv received aprils magazine today and which, anyone else recieved theirs, I hav'nt finished last months yet, best get a move on.

One of these days i wont just be reading about other peoples trips, I'll be going on some to but untill that day I'll keep reading and dreaming. :

Guest pelmetman

There are plenty of old cheap campers around on ebay, you dont need a flash gin palace to enjoy this hobby :D

Have you read some of Alf Stonehouse posts? he seems to be having a whale of a time in an old camper in France, and all without the aid of a passport (lol) (lol)

Barbarian - 2011-03-11 7:44 PM

Mine arrived today too, but can I resist not opening it to take in the van for the forthcoming trip? It's a tough call! The wrapper is off, it's on the starting blocks! :-S

... careful you don't pull something ... shouldn't move toooooo fast at your age you know!!! :D (lol)

Tony Jones - 2011-03-11 3:12 PM

Hold the dream, girl!

But don't forget, if you wait until you can afford it, it'll never happen. So pluck up your courage and

How does that work then Tony. Can't afford to do it but your advice is to go do it anyway *-)

Just went to the other room to start reading the mag but when I got there I'd forgotten why I went in, so I poured another rum & coke instead. When I came out I remembered why I'd gone in but I'm too 'relaxed' to get up again! :D >:-)

Barbarian

Dreaming is never an answer. Make a decision and work towards achieving it. If a glitsy motorhome (so called) is your aim, why?

If mobile camping is your aim, a single person can get by with a second hand van and a mattress, satisfactory cooking can be achieved with a small gas unit. Boiled water will maintain hygene. Showers and washing are unimportant and toiletries can be arranged with a spade.

If there are two of you its even more fun. Throw the magazine away and get organised, Do not try to be all posh about it, many of us started that way and you are no different.

art

art338 - 2011-03-12 12:05 AM

If there are two of you its even more fun. Throw the magazine away and get organised, Do not try to be all posh about it, many of us started that way and you are no different.

art

I never thoughtI was different, but sometimes things happen which we are not expecting so therefore make a diffferent but point taken.

Thankyou for all your replies :-)

Guest peter
pelmetman - 2011-03-11 4:10 PM

There are plenty of old cheap campers around on ebay, you dont need a flash gin palace to enjoy this hobby :D

Have you read some of Alf Stonehouse posts? he seems to be having a whale of a time in an old camper in France, and all without the aid of a passport (lol) (lol)

If you speak nicely to Pelmetman he might sell you his for a monkey. That's with a full tank of diesel, which of course doubles the value. (lol)

Big Momma - 2011-03-11 8:59 PM

Tony Jones - 2011-03-11 3:12 PM

Hold the dream, girl!

But don't forget, if you wait until you can afford it, it'll never happen. So pluck up your courage and

How does that work then Tony. Can't afford to do it but your advice is to go do it anyway *-)

I agree with Tony.... My attitude to life is very different now - after a car careeered through the front of our house some time back - we live on a straight road. >:-( Again our thoughts were reinforced when a neighbour woke up to find her husband had died in the night - after all their retirement plans ( he was 59). We bit the bullet and blew most of our nest egg and bought a bigger sailing boat, progressing to a motorhome as we always seemed to sail to France if we had more than a weekend off. Ok our savings were depleted but we are enjoying rather than dreaming or waiting .....As they say, "life's too short".

Start with whatever you can get and try the lifestyle then gradually move on to what you really want. ;-)

Guest pelmetman
peter - 2011-03-12 7:24 PM

If you speak nicely to Pelmetman he might sell you his for a monkey. That's with a full tank of diesel, which of course doubles the value. (lol)

It might be old (21 years), but as we have just proved :D It has taken us anywhere a new gin palace will, having been to Gibraltar and back ;-)

So dont be put off from buying an older vehicle, there are plenty of well maintained vans out there for below 10k which is less than some new vans depreciate in the first year B-)

Just get it checked out by a friendly motorhome/mechanic if your unsure ;-)

pelmetman - 2011-03-16 9:02 AM

peter - 2011-03-12 7:24 PM

It might be old (21 years), but as we have just proved :D It has taken us anywhere a new gin palace will, having been to Gibraltar and back ;-)

So dont be put off from buying an older vehicle, there are plenty of well maintained vans out there for below 10k which is less than some new vans depreciate in the first year B-)

Just get it checked out by a friendly motorhome/mechanic if your unsure ;-)

Totally agree.

Older 2nd hand (or 5ht hand...) motorhome: mechanically much much simpler, less to go wrong, easier to work on, buy for maybe £10k instead of £40k; leaving £30k for fuel, food, ferries, site fees, extras, a damn good service and new brakes/tyres if it needs it, or anything else in your life............and you've saved a fortune before you even head out towards the sunshine.

Insurance will be much less, spares will cost a lot less, highly unlikely to get nicked for speeding ('cos it won't go that fast!), it won't get stolen, and when you scrape/dent it, it isn't the end of the world and won't cos 3 zillion quid to fix.

Yay for venerable motorhomes!

Hi all, been reading threads on this forum and subscribing to MMM for several years now. My wife and I have been campers for 4 or 5 years (not that long really) and decided to go to the NEC show in 2008, only to look mind you, but while were there made an instant decision to buy. We in no way had it planned and not being wealthy didn't have the money available. On returning home and after the excitement of ordering a new van had subsided the realisation that we had to somehow pay for it sank in. Since our mortgage was nearly paid off we remortgaged to pay for it. 2 years after taking delivery in may 2009 we have travelled 4 times to France and many uk trips and have never looked back. We are both now avid motor homers and maybe in a few years when the kids have left home (some hope of that) upgrading.

The point of this thread is sometimes you just have to take the plunge and go for it and hopefully as in our case it all works out ok.

happy touring

Gavin

:-D

Archived