How English are the English allowed to be?

Guest Tracker

Guest Tracker

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/mar/15/ethnic-minorities-midsomer-murders-brian-true-may

Is this or is it not political correctness gone mad?

Or does the article's author have a persecution complex or a not so hidden anti white agenda I wonder - but wouldn't that be racism?

It's not as if anyone is banned from watching it - rubbish though it is mostly - but it's only entertainment for heavens sake and hardly mind bending subversive material - or is it?

I am not expressing any viewpoint here but I wouldn't be surprised to be labelled a grumpy old racist by some of the PC police patrols that keep our forum safe?

What does the team think?

Guest pelmetman

Its your own fault Rich if you keep reading that bastion of british stupidity the Guardian :D

You should know by now that only ethnic minorities are allowed to set up ethnicicaly cleansed areas of the UK the indigenious population are doomed to a become a non entity *-) ..............but then we were only ever a bunch of mongrels :D

Guest Tracker

You might consider yourself a mongrel Dave but only when you're feeling a bit ruff I hope.

If I were able to read I might read the Guardian but I am too mean to pay for any news I can get for free on TV and Radio!

Being Eco Friendly and a bit green looking (Martian emigree great grand parents you know) I also like to save energy by not having to turn the pages!

I'm doing my bit for the country you know - or am I doing my nut?

Guest pelmetman

Well a 100% British mongrel :D

One quarter Scotish, one quarter Welsh, two parts London....................but from!!.......... North and South of the river 8-)

So as for how the angles, saxon, viking or roman genes affect mix??? :D.............But deep down I am pure caveman (lol)

Had that series been made by the BBC , you would have had an Indian takeaway in the village , mixed race couple running the newsagents and gypsy travellers on the village green . I watched one episode of BBC made Robin Hood and chuckled that some how they had managed to get a black guy in there , because we know in Nottingham at that time there were plenty of black guys running round with Robin and his crew werent they ?

Had that series been made by the BBC , you would have had an Indian takeaway in the village , mixed race couple running the newsagents and gypsy travellers on the village green . I watched one episode of BBC made Robin Hood and chuckled that some how they had managed to get a black guy in there , because we know in Nottingham at that time there were plenty of black guys running round with Robin and his crew werent they ?

By police documents we are not allowed to be English. Having been stopped by roadside police officers for no offence I did not show my driving licence so was given a form to show it at my local police station, when asked what was my nationality I told them English sorry I was informed thats not on the form being a bit sarky I said is Bangladesh on the form and was told yes I finaly had to settle for U.K. citizen let the Gardian angel sort that out. John *-) ( I was on my motorcycle at the time and am used to being targeted by the law it's what they do)

teflon2 - 2011-03-16 7:16 PM

By police documents we are not allowed to be English. Having been stopped by roadside police officers for no offence I did not show my driving licence so was given a form to show it at my local police station, when asked what was my nationality I told them English sorry I was informed thats not on the form being a bit sarky I said is Bangladesh on the form and was told yes I finaly had to settle for U.K. citizen let the Gardian angel sort that out. John *-) ( I was on my motorcycle at the time and am used to being targeted by the law it's what they do)

Did you ask whether Scottish, Welsh or Irish was on the form ?

As the whole thing is a piece of fiction, then they can put whatever they like in it. As the viewing figures are always very high, then I cannot see why ITV would wish to upset it. It is not as if they are making fortunes, not like the Beeb with a 'fixed' income.

Actually, Scots are classed as an 'ethnic minority' as the question was asked officially some years back, and that was the answer. Where that leaves us is anybody's guess, but as we spend a fortune on Gaelic for a few hundred speakers, anything goes. However, the majority of us consider ourselves Brits in equal standing, or we would not go fight for the UK.

I agree with some of the comments that it appears that any 'ethnic' group is allowed to say and do what they like, but if it is indigenous Brits, then all Hell is let loose.

Anyway, the actual programme is irrelevant to us north of the border as STV refuses to show it along with other dramas from ITV. They plead poverty. We get 'Scots drivel' instead. Billy Connolly is a good laugh but not a show from 1993 or some toher ancient time.

I lvove how people will moan at anything

Whats the programme that is about a group of couples auditioning to live in a small Yorkshire town and there meant to be basically 'set in their way' when it comes to stuff like minorities?

Typical Guardian numpty nonsense. That paper is well know for its PC stance even if it flies in the face of common sense.

Expect to see The Vicar of Dibley hauled over the coals as it has no "ethnic minorities" in it either.

But I wonder if they would dare to accuse the Irish as well because I watched the excellent (though not so good this week I thought) "Mrs Browns Boys" Monday night and not an ethnic minority face there either!

Archived