Sad day.

Dave Newell

For those that have known us for a while I am sorry to say that our wonderful dog Dexter died this afternoon.

He has been a bit off colour for a few weeks then yesterday morning nealry collapsed during his morning walk. Vet examined him and thought he could feel a lump in Dex's gut, took bloods and gave him anti inflammatory injection. Yesterday afternoon he phoned with results of blood test, raised white cell count and anaemic plus an infection.

X rays today showed a tumor on his spleen, but when the Vet opened him up it was through his liver and kidneys too so nothing they could do.

Tonight we had a wake for him in the local, not planned that way ( we hardly had time to plan anything) but such is life(and death :'( )

The good side of this story is we had 9 1/2 wonderful years of companionship, entertainment and un-limited love from Dexter.

RIP Dex, we miss you already.

D.

P.S. If you don't like dogs please keep your thoughts to yourself.

Hi, dave, It is so sad when a faithful friend has to leave our company. We had the same thing on the 4th of march; our 15 year border collie had come to the end of the road, as he could not stand any more we had to lift him into the garden to do the usual.

This was giving us bad backs lifting a heavy dog in and out, so we had to call the vet who visited our home .

He took us through the whole process and agreed that we were making the correct decision as the dog had no quality of life ,as all he could do was lie on the floor. We are still upset about Harley,s loss.

Best Wishes Dave.

Guest peter

I'm so sad to hear this Dave. I've got tears in my eyes whilst typing this. I know exactly how you must be feeling, as we had the same decision 3 Yrs ago with our beloved "Growler" the Jack Russell. But at least he had a long life, reaching 17 1/2 years. I bawled my eyes out coming out of the vets.

We had to get another J/R straight away, as the house seemed empty without a dog. The one we've got now is wonderful and so loving. We got her from Wood Green Shelter in Godmanchester.

Keep your chin up and celebrate his life with you not mourn his passing.

Peter

Dave Im very sad for you and your family, its not untill it happens to you that it hits you hard . I had no idea untill I lost my 14 year old a couple of years ago :-S its like losing one of the family I hope he died peacefully its best that he died than lived longer in pain.

Our thoughts are with you Dave. We lost our old Darce in August 2009 and he is still very much in our thoughts. Our first dog Suzi who died in 2002 is still in our thoughts as well.

They never leave us really - because we cannot forget them.

We have two dogs now - both aged 8 - goodness knows what we will be like when their time comes.

All the very best.

Dave and family how sad for you all your post brought a tear to my eyes

THE RAINBOW BRIDGE POEM

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

I'm sorry to hear your bad news Dave and my heart goes out to you.

We don't currently have dogs as we're both out at work all day but we do have three Maine Coon cats.

Over the last couple of years we've lost two young ones and it's devastatingly upsetting.

The pain and loss will get better (as I'm sure you know) and your memories will stay in a special place in your heart.

Take care big fella.

Barry 

Guest pelmetman

Just read your post about Dexter. We remember him well when we visited you with our camper last year. Indeed he was a truely lovely dog and know he will be sadly missed by you and Jackie.

Having been through this sad time ourselves on numerous occasions our hearts go out to you both.

However you are feeling now you will always have the wonderful memories of Dexter.

So sorry to read of your loss Dave,

I still miss our little Jack Russell who died some years ago. As soon as we retire we will be gaining another companion. Stay strong and remember the good times, of which I know there will be many.

Guest Tracker

We've had our differences Dai but having lost dogs myself over the years I too sympathise and wish you all the best in replacing the irreplaceable.

Rich.

Archived