Sad day.

Dave Newell

Many thanks to all for the kind and supportive words, it does help a lot. We are not going to replace Dex for two very good reasons.

1, He was a one off, class act and way too big a personality for any other poor dog to live up to, we were spoiled by him and really lucky to have had him in our lives for 9 1/2 years.

2, No matter which way you look at it a dog is a tie and can limit what you can do and where you can go.

We shall never forget our very own "Scooby Doo".

RIP big fella, D.

Thanks everyone, our Dex always did like to be the centre of attention, and customers only really came to see him in his world to play ball or rope or just for some fuss, as Dave says he is too big a character to replace, and although he has left a huge gap, he also left us lots of great memories of all the places we went together, and the things we did, rip my lad..xxx

Guest Tracker

Yeah - that's what we said when our previous collie Lucy died and she really was one of a kind - no more - too much of a tie!

If it's any consolation - we lasted 6 months before we found Rosie!

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2011-03-17 6:56 PM

Yeah - that's what we said when our previous collie Lucy died and she really was one of a kind - no more - too much of a tie!

If it's any consolation - we lasted 6 months before we found Rosie!

We said the same when we lost Byron our first Lab, spent days decorating after the event dont know why 8-) just needed to be doing something :'(

Several weeks later we wondered why we had painted our kitchen and sun lounge grey 8-) Ended up getting someone in to redecorate *-)

Originaly thought we would wait a few months to see how we felt about getting another dog, but soon noticed how empty the house felt and how clean! it was, but that just wasn't how our home should feel, so started going round the rescues looking, not for another Byron but another dog who press's that button when you see each other for the first time :->

Hence Troy, he might be another Lab but he has his own character, and he is my dog where Byron was Sue's, dont know how that happened, I dont even like dogs :D

Guest peter
I bet he has another dog within 3 months. If you really like dogs you can't be without one. :D We lasted 1 week. That's why we Motorhome, so she can come with us. If we left her behind, it would feel like someone is missing.

You are in my thoughts Dave. I remember Dexter well from when I visited your workshop and was struck by how close he was to you. So sad as 9 years is certainly not old for a dog and such a shock for him to go in just two days. My dog now is the same age and I will be really devastated when her time comes.

When my very first dog died I cried for months and kept thinking I could hear him barking and vowed then that if I had time to prepare I would get another puppy in readiness. This has always been good for the older dog and given a new lease of life and has certainly helped me to cope with the loss. Although I have had the same breed for over 30 years now they have had very individual natures and I remember them all with pleasure. This one in particular has helped me to cope with personal losses.

Like others I think you might very well change your mind and enjoy another rewarding companionship but you will never forget Dex. Take care.

Hi Dave & Jackie,

We are very sorry to hear of Dexter's passing, he was a character and will be missed at the shows.

He almost dislocated my shoulder a few times when I tried to get his rope off him.

See you at Peterborough if all goes to plan.

Regards

Don & Maureen

Dave & Jacqui

I'm so very, very sorry to hear of Dexter's passing, no words can really describe how painful it is, but from knowing you both, I know what a lovely life the scallywag had and I'm sure he enjoyed every minute of it.

Dexter the scallywag, a lovely funny lad

Waddling round the yard, devotedly following Dave his 'dad'

'Mum' Jacqui too who was worshipped by the tyke

As he dragged them out for exercise on the regular daily 'hike'.

Dex may not be around now, but please don't be tooooo sad

He certainly wouldn't want it - he'd tell you to be glad!

Remember all the good times that you had each single day

As the wonderful memories of Dex will never ever go away.

Take care

XX

As a Mummy to a faithful hound I am sending you our love and sympathy at the passing of Dexter......

No words will make you feel better but judging by the forum lots of people are sending you good wishes so maybe that will be a comfort.

T5t

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks to all for your thoughts and comments, it has helped a lot. We asked the Vet to arrange for Dex to be cremated and this was done, we received him back in a lovely wooden carved box with an engraved Brass name plate on it. Last sunday we took his ashes to a nearby wooded area where we used to walk him when we first got him and scattered his ashes so he is in a place he loved.

D.

Archived