French Aires

Shell181

Hi, off to explore Brittany in June/July and just wandered if anyone had stayed at the following aires please? (We haven't stayed on any aires yet)

Plouha (Plage du Paulas - la Palus)

Le Port De Dinan

They sound quite nice, anyone stayed and have any views on them please?

Shell

:-D

Hi Shell

Spotted your thread had not had any replies.

Maybe better to post on Motorhome Matters forum for a better response.

I did find these previous threads for Brittany:-

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=20855&posts=6

(see John Thompson's post)

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=19699&posts=4

Hi John

Thanks for replying, I had a lots of replies on the Motorhomefun.co.uk and tbh I think I've decided that we are going to leave the aires till Chris retires and use them more when we are travelling for months at a time for the cost rather than our main holidays which is what we have now.

I don't like the fact that some of them you have to park very close together and that they are very busy. Obviously we would use one in an emergency and as I say they are great for using to cut the cost down when travelling for months on end but I think we will stick to the campsites for the time being. It's all a personal choice I suppose and I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't agree with my comments as they use them all the time and stay away from campsites......

Shell

:-D

Shell181 - 2011-03-20 3:31 PM

I don't like the fact that some of them you have to park very close together and that they are very busy.

In that case, you, like us, will rarely entertain using them except in exceptional cases.

Of course there are occasions when they're half full, (half empty for the pedants), and they're perfectly usable/safe.

Taking up your busy observation, we stay on the Municipal site in Etretat which has an Aire attached to it. The Aire is about 50 - 60% cheaper than the site.

All you see all day on the Aire is the coming and going of vans. We couldn't even bear that for the 24 hours that you're allowed there. Good luck to them that can/have/want/need to.

Another we see en route to "our" place in the Dordogne is in Souillac. The only worthwhile positive I can say for that one is it's proximity to the Town.

Indeed we poked our noses in there last year to see how the great unwashed were getting on. Business as usual, 1 metre between vans, pipes all over the place. Death trap city.

'orses fer courses though as some might say 8-)

I'll get me hat now

Martyn

Guest pelmetman

Although we haven't used the Aire down at the Port in Dinan, I think I know where it is. We have always parked across the otherside of the river from the town, a lovely position, never had any problems and just across the bridge to a good choice of restaurants, usually several vans there.

Have a good holiday.

Sue

• 5 months later...

Archived