Single beds

Randonneur

We have just picked up our new (to us) motorhome which has single beds and are wondering what sort of bedding would be best to use. We do have 2 single duvets, but I can see them sliding off. What do other Forum Members use. The beds come with a quilted fitted throw, do we use these as part of the bedding? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Sylvia

Hi Sylvia

Not sure if the new van allows the two singles to be made into a double but when our old sleeping bags were due for renewal we considered buying the Raskelf Duvalays (single bed size memory foam mattress within a sewn in duvet) but in the end decided to replace with new sleeping bags that can be zipped together to form a double.

We still have the facility to use them as singles but they are less prone to slipping off the bed (like duvets) and have some level of 'softening' beneath you if the beds are slightly on the firm side due to the nature of multi use foam mattresses used as seating/bedding.

David

Hi Sylvia

Like David above, we use KING size sleeping bags, which zip to=gether if needed. We have 4 SB's Two which are very light weight and two 30 tog ones.This covers all weathers. You can used the ones not needed as under lays. I personally don't like Sleeping bags, so I tend to just zip my one at the feet end , that way you have more movement at the top end.

The light weight ones will wash in the washing machine, but the heavy ones have to go to the large machines in the local launderette

Good luck with the new van

Pauline

PS whats the weather like down your way? We are coming over end of April

P

Thanks David and Pauline for the replies. I had thought of king size sleeping bags, as a friend of ours uses them in their caravan with duvets covers on them, but I wondered how you cope with the pillow end, are they shaped? It is a long time since we used sleeping bags.

The single beds in this van can't be made into a double as the washroom is at the back.

Pauline, the weather is okay at the moment, overcast but quite warm. It should be lovely at the end of April. Just putting everything back in the new van, you don't realise how much stuff you collect along the way.

We sewed two duvet covers together down one long side. The bottom one has a thin quilted thingy inside, and the top half has a duvet inside. This does not completely stop the duvet sliding off, but as you lie on the bottom half it helps to keep it in place. We also sewed tapes to the corners of covers and duvets and tie them together to keep the duvet in place when we pack them away for the daytime (don't have fixed bed in a Nuevo).

This is a bit like have a sleeping bag with the side left unzipped (see post above).

David B - 2011-03-18 2:00 PM

We sewed two duvet covers together down one long side. The bottom one has a thin quilted thingy inside, and the top half has a duvet inside. This does not completely stop the duvet sliding off, but as you lie on the bottom half it helps to keep it in place. We also sewed tapes to the corners of covers and duvets and tie them together to keep the duvet in place when we pack them away for the daytime (don't have fixed bed in a Nuevo).

This is a bit like have a sleeping bag with the side left unzipped (see post above).

Thats food for thought. Just had an idea, I could sew extra fabric onto the side of the duvet cover which will go under the mattress on the wall side.

We have the option of singles or a huge double, we do occasionally use the singles, neither of us like the confinement of sleeping bags so my wife's solution was two king size duvets.

I was very sceptical but hey its the perfect solution. When using the single beds we lie on half the duvet folding other half over us. When using the double one duvet provides extra padding on the cushions and that is really comfortable.

Just a thought

PJay - 2011-03-18 5:02 PM

Sylvia

Your idea about tapes sounds OK, as I find the wall can be a bit cold on your back sometimes, so a cushion down the side is a good idea, if the bed is wide enough for you

Pauline

Thanks guys and gals. The wall side of the beds are padded with fabric. I have just put single duvets with the fitted throws over for the time being, we will test them out and see how we go. Did think of king size quilts doubled but I tried that in the last motorhome and the top of the duvet got in the way, that is why I asked if the sleeping bags were cut away at the top to allow for the pillow.

Randonneur - 2011-03-18 1:06 PM

Just had an idea, I could sew extra fabric onto the side of the duvet cover which will go under the mattress on the wall side.

Whilst reading this thread, I had already come up with the below idea when I read your thought above, which is even easier - just use a double duvet cover and tuck one side in, you could even sew down it at the right width for the single duvet to keep it in place if needs be.

As for wrapping yourself in a double or even a kingsize duvet, I've done this before and it can be a nuisance due to the extra bulk at the side.

Hi Sylivia

The king size sleeping bags are not shaped at the top end. We have two (pillow shaped) upholstered cushions that came with the van and use two other pillows. The upholstered ones are left on the mattress with the sleeping bag over it then the 'normal' pillow on top. The zips can be opened from the bottom or from the top so give infinite variability on how much the bag is zipped up to provide any amount of freedom.

When we had a fixed bed low profile we did have a winter and a summer duvet with matching covers. In the winter the summer duvet was used as a bottom sheet and in the summer this was reversed with the summer duvet on the bottom. This worked extremely well for the fixed bed but have to say that the versatility of the two king size sleeping bags is much better for our present van.

David

We use IKEA mattress toppers on top of the seats, they iron out the buttons and any bumps. They come in a variety of widths and thickness

and a single fitted sheet on the topper and use our duvets to keep warm. Only problem is that it can get hot under the duvet.

I found the easiest was to get a double duvet cover and a single duvet. Lay the single duvet onto the cover for measurement then sew all the way down, I did it by hand but could be done by machine, slip the duvet in and then with strong safety pins ( I used old nappy pins) pin the duvet into the cover, just on the wall side. Put the duvet onto the bed and the overlap underneath the mattress, the duvet stays on all night and the beds are very easy to make. We have summer and autumn duvets and if it really cold they fit in the cover together. Don't forget to do it the opposite way for the other bed if you have a pattern, hope this helps.

I did the same as Ris when I had the Elddis and used it when working away from home. It saved making up the double bed every night.

Before that, I found a cheap sleeping bag was fine for the summer but a good duvet is needed when it is below zero outside.

End of last year Raskelf did a special 20% off offer, so we 'splurged' before the Vat went up and got 2 Duvalays with a set of spare covers, and a memory foam topper for the bed at home.

Used the Duvalays in December when we had to use the van to go to Birmingham for a funeral.

The Duvalays were great, and we were 'Toasty'. Can recommend them.

We usually have single beds in the van, so that one can get up without waking the other, and the Dog likes to sleep in the gap between us, (She thinks she has 'Come up in the world'). Ray

The 'Memory foam' acts as an insulator or reflector of your body heat, we found that the 'Summer weight' duvets were ample and didn't bother to get 'winter weight ' ones .

Archived