Electric Bikes

Basil

Sorry if this is not the right section to place this in but thought it desearved maximum coverage.

For anyone interested in an extremely good value electric bike, Makro's have a special offer on Powacycle Salisbury EBike, with LiPoX battery. My daughter has had one of these for some while now and it has been faultless and she has been very happy with it, she paid £399 + vat.

The offer is £299 +vat and is from 23rd March, now that is a very good deal IMO, a full size electric bike with a very good range for around £350 all in!!

Bas

P.S. RRP is near £900 by the way.

Bas thanks for the info. There are a lot of good electric bikes on the market now and they are getting cheaper. It would help if you could give a little more information on the actual range, how long to re-charge batteries, weight (Of the bike) etc. so that those interested could make a comparison.

Bas is right. It's a Makro 40th birthday, one day special. However the Salisbury/Windsor ebikes are rated at 180w/24v with a consequent top speed of 12mph and are very underpowered compared to a 250w/36v machine. I returned mine last year (to Makro)

I think... that they are also doing a 250w/24v rear hub Cyclamatic for the same price which has considerably better (but not perfect) reviews

BUT £299 is very good :-D

Hi, it is actually not a one day 40th celebration offer it is in the latest 'catalogue' of offers (number 7 page19) and is on offer from Wednesday 23 March until Tuesday 5th of April, though as with a lot of the Makro exceptional offers like this they may well sell out of them quickly on the first day.

The catalogue states £200 off all electric bikes but only shows the Salisbury, I only mention this as our Makro also has small wheel folding bikes on sale currently for £499+ vat don't know if they will also be discounted.

For details of the Salisbury see

http://www.electricbikeshed.co.uk/shop/electric-bicycles/powacycle/powacycle-salisbury.html

compare the price shown on this website to the offer at Makro's and you will see why I believe it to be a good deal.

As I said my daughter has had one for some while now and loves it to bits, no problems with it at all. It outperforms the stated performance specification i.e. speed and distance, by a large amount but I guess that depends on how you use the power (as it has the benefit of being 'all power' or 'pedelec' according to your use of the throttle or not) and the terrain it is used on. She uses it daily and has two hills to go up or down, one more severe than the other according to direction. The severe hill meant that she had to dismount and push up the last bit with her standard bike but she sails up it with e-bike.

Bas

Guest JudgeMental
dwaviation - 2011-03-19 11:57 AM

However the Salisbury/Windsor ebikes are rated at 180w/24v with a consequent top speed of 12mph and are very underpowered compared to a 250w/36v machine.

No longer true apparently:

"The Salisbury/Windsor models switched from 180 watt brushed to 200 watt brushless motors years ago and their top assisted speed is 15 mph."

Believe that may have changed when they adopted the LiPoX power system from the earlier type battery power.

I can certainly vouch for the fact that it is in no way 'underpowered' or limited in range. Also having an electronic speed/ distance device on the bike has shown me that with even less than enthusiastic pedalling the top speed is in excess of the stated max when using pedal assist and that the power only top speed is also slightly above that stated. I believe that there is a legal maximum that has to be adhered to for electric bikes maybe this has some relevence!

Bas

Archived