Spare Wheel Carrier

Hannibal

I'm sure I can't be the only one with this problem!

My Lunar coachbuilt van sits on a Fiat Ducato base and was supplied with a can of goo, in lieu of a spare wheel - so far so normal. Not wanting to find myself stuck up a mountain with a shredded tyre and just a can of goo, I got my own spare wheel and tyre and jack etc.

So far so good - but where to put it. There's a nice round space under the chassis, which is clearly designed for a wheel carrier, but Fiat can only supply one that's accessed from the rear of the vehicle - not possible now, because there is a waste tank in the way. Plenty of room for a side access carrier though (These seem to be widely available for a caravan chassis, but apparently no good for this application). Fiat referred me to Lunar; Lunar referred me to Fiat and I've drawn a blank everywhere I've tried, so my spare wheel continues to fill half the underbed storage area.

Any advice/suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thank you for those comments.

I got a completely negative response from Fiat last time I tried, but perhaps things have moved on. If there's is now a new, side-access carrier available, perhaps they've sorted some of the problems identified in that thread.

Sounds pretty unlikely doesn't it! - but certainly worth another shot.

Hannibal - 2011-03-21 3:18 PM

Thank you for those comments.

I got a completely negative response from Fiat last time I tried, but perhaps things have moved on. If there's is now a new, side-access carrier available, perhaps they've sorted some of the problems identified in that thread.

Sounds pretty unlikely doesn't it! - but certainly worth another shot.

As I'm sure you are aware, Fiat's standard method for attaching a spare-wheel to a Ducato X250 ladder-chassis involves a 'winch-and-cable' set-up, rather than a traditional fabricated metal 'carrier' as generally found on caravans. Fiat's current system is similar in principle to the time-honoured Ford Transit arrangement.

It needs emphasising that the side-access Fiat product that works OK on dshague's panel-van-based Swift Mondial may not be a practical proposition for your coachbuilt motorhome if Lunar has made no allowance for it (as seems to be the case).

You might well be able to fit the Fiat winch+cable system to your motorhome, but actually operating the lowering/raising winch may be another matter altogether.

I've got a side-access winch+cable set-up on my Transit-based coachbuilt Hobby - that essentially has a panel-van floor-pan - and the winch is only (just) operable via a home-made extension tool.

Checked our SpareWheel Carrier today & it appears it may be a Converters model, rather than the standard Peugeot carrier.

Basically it has a hinged mounting on the offside chassis member, with an (swinging) arm coming across & has a fixed drop bolt mounted on the nearside chassis member, which goes through the Arm

The Arm extends beyond the N/S chassis member by 14" with a plastic grip on the end. So it will allow some leaverage when trying to lift the Spare back into place.

Tried to photograph it, but not any clearer than this explaination :$ :$

Guest Peter James
flicka - 2011-03-25 9:22 PM

Checked our SpareWheel Carrier today & it appears it may be a Converters model, rather than the standard Peugeot carrier.

Basically it has a hinged mounting on the offside chassis member, with an (swinging) arm coming across & has a fixed drop bolt mounted on the nearside chassis member, which goes through the Arm

The Arm extends beyond the N/S chassis member by 14" with a plastic grip on the end. So it will allow some leaverage when trying to lift the Spare back into place.

Tried to photograph it, but not any clearer than this explaination :$ :$

Sounds like the basic cheapest design you get on most commercials. The X2/50 carrier with the lifting cable you wind up and down is obviously an attempt to make it easier to lift the wheel up and down.

Bearing in mind that floors are so low, you have to get the wheel under them and lifted up, I don't see how they could make them any easier to use.

Derek Uzzell - 2011-03-22 12:13 PM

You might well be able to fit the Fiat winch+cable system to your motorhome, but actually operating the lowering/raising winch may be another matter altogether.

With the problems I am having I make no recommendation but can say that the retail cost of this winch system complete is about £210 from Fiat and replacement time is 40 mins.

How do I know that...... mine is being replaced at 3:30 today. Fortunately not at my expense and certainly not courtesy of Fiat

Archived