Caravan Club

Hawcara

I have a Barclaycard through the Caravan Club. For every 2,500 points I get one site night voucher. Despite the hard economic conditions they have just made it 3,000 points for one night.

I dont spend that much on the card and it takes forever anyway. :'(

Think I will search around for another deal

Any thoughts?

We have the Tesco card but there is not one close enough to make full use of it. I seem to recall that in the literature they send out with the vouchers that you could trade them in at 4x their face value. Is this still the case ? How do you redeem them against a Ferry Ticket ?

Have a Nectar card which we use quite a lot at Sainsbury's for shopping and fuel. Can also be used at other retailers and fuel services. We tend to just led the points add up all year and then redeem them when we do our big Christmas food shop, very handy that time of year :D

The Halifax 'clarity' credit card has 'only' 12.9% interest on all outstanding balances, and withdrawals abroad carry NO charges.

I moved over from Barclaycard went they 'upped' the interest rate to pay Bob Diamond's bonus. Did have a 'Nationwide' flex account to use abroad, but they got too greedy as well.(kept the account as they seem to be 'fattening up' for a 'De-mutualisation' ,and i have held an account for over 20 years, so the 'No share out' doesn't apply to me).

Think the whole lot are are bunch of 'Shysters'. With the 'CEO's' being the biggest. Ray. *-)

We use a Utility Warehouse Discount Card, and get 5% of Electricity. Gas, Telephone, Broadband and Mobile, just by shopping at Sainsburys, Asda (3%), Homebase, Debenhams, M&S and a lot more besides.

So shopping and filling up with diesel as Sainsbury's gives us a double whammy of Nector points and 5% off our utilities. (lol)

Big Momma - 2011-03-23 10:12 AM

We have the Tesco card but there is not one close enough to make full use of it. I seem to recall that in the literature they send out with the vouchers that you could trade them in at 4x their face value. Is this still the case ? How do you redeem them against a Ferry Ticket ?

I think it is 3 times now, the best thing is to look at the web site you do not need to login.

Unfortuatly it is not all ferries (and not the ones from Portsmouth as it use to be mores the pitty) but the tunnel is covered you find the price of the crossing you want, order your vouchers to the value and then go to the company and book . I have found that if i do not have enough vouchers i can pay the rest on a card.

Also have a Nectar card but for other than getting money of my shopping not found it much good, but hey points equal money so I am happy! (lol)

Guest JudgeMental

Have just started using Tesco home delivery....

Soooooo if a tunnel crossing is £150 I need x 4 vouchers = 600

is this correct? *-)

JudgeMental - 2011-03-23 2:11 PM

Have just started using Tesco home delivery....

Soooooo if a tunnel crossing is £150 I need x 4 vouchers = 600

is this correct? *-)

You get triple value with Eurotunnel. So £150 ticket would cost £50 in vouchers.

£50 in vouchers = 5000 points.

You get 2 points per £ shopping in-store or online and 1 point per £4 charged to your CC.

So a £100 shopping bill with get you 200+25=225 points.

So if you spent £2,225 in shopping you would get 4,450 + 556 = 5006, enough for your ticket.

Of course, there are many in-store/online offers where certain products give you more points, so you should get there quicker!!

I collect the Air Miles & you can then swap them for ferry crossing. Doesn't work out quite as good a deal using the Air Miles for ferries but it makes it more flexible. I don't bother with doing it for Dover/Calais as we never seem to pay much more than £60, used them for Ireland last year it was 4000 Air Miles +£14.

That's not the end of it they have also put an effective limit of 5 vouchers per year as they limit the amount to qualify to £15,000. Under the old system we were managing to get between 15 and 20 vouchers per year.

Must dash need to buy a new bike before the scheme comes into effect and chase a couple of new sofas we have on order for the same reason.

I prefer cash in hand to deals. Amex tends to be best for that.

If you get an Amex platinum, it's 5% cashback on spend for first 3 months, up to 1.25% thereafter. You do need to spend £3k/yr to get any cashback though.

The alternative is MBNA Amex. On that, you get 1.5% cashback on any spend categorised as supermarkets or petrol stations, 0.75% on everything else.

Of course, you can't rely on Amex as your sole card, as some places don't take it. I've also got a Capital One mastercard which from memory pays 0.5% cashback.

Colin Leake - 2011-03-23 4:38 PM

That's not the end of it they have also put an effective limit of 5 vouchers per year as they limit the amount to qualify to £15,000. Under the old system we were managing to get between 15 and 20 vouchers per year.

Must dash need to buy a new bike before the scheme comes into effect and chase a couple of new sofas we have on order for the same reason.

You're spending £15,000 a year at Tesco? 8-) 8-) 8-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
I wish they would bring back green shield stamps, still have the hernia from carrying two carrier bags full of books to redeem, and got a sooty and sweep puppet for them. Could never be bothered with any of that collecting lark again, let's face it your only effectively buying your "rewards" in any event. I just look for better cash deals to start with :-S

JudgeMental - 2011-03-23 1:11 PM Have just started using Tesco home delivery.... Soooooo if a tunnel crossing is £150 I need x 4 vouchers = 600 is this correct? *-)

Its surprising how the vouchers mount up.  We often use the home delivery service and 'try' to get our fuel from Tesco.  Mrs Way2Go spots the offers that they have where you get extra points for this and extra points for that, etc, etc.

The thing is, you're gonna have to buy food and petrol anyway and Tesco is competitive on both counts.

In the last few years we've had enough points for at least one if not two return trips via the Shuttle.  We've already booked a return trip in April this year as well as our Christmas Markets trip in December.  Even if we get no more points we currently have enough for a trip next year.  So you see they do mount up quite quickly :-)

To save you the hassle of working out the amount of tickets you need I created a ready reckoner which I attach for anyone who wants a copy.

Essentially, the spreadsheet keeps a tally of your tokens and works out their real value.  Two columns on the left represent the tokens and their expiry date with a total at the bottom (you can delete the vouchers and dates that I've used in this example).

All you need to do is look for a crossing on the Eurotunnel web site and type in the actual amount in the marked cell and it will tell you the value of tokens you need to make the booking.

BTW if you book the competitive breakdown cover - it's a cash deal and is not covered by the Tesco vouchers deal.

W2G

Tesco Vouchers Calculator.xls

kelly58 - 2011-03-23 9:14 PM

I won two Caravan Club one night site vouchers , but as I am not a member of the Caravan Club I will have to pay £8 pn to be able to use the vouchers there is always a catch and as they say no such thing as a " Free " lunch !!

Deepest condolences IMO CC sites aren't worth 8 quid a night.

1footinthegrave - 2011-03-23 10:25 PM

I wish they would bring back green shield stamps, still have the hernia from carrying two carrier bags full of books to redeem, and got a sooty and sweep puppet for them. Could never be bothered with any of that collecting lark again, let's face it your only effectively buying your "rewards" in any event. I just look for better cash deals to start with :-S

I've still got a pair of molegrips in the garage brought with Green Shield stamps in the sixties.

kelly58 - 2011-03-23 9:14 PM

I won two Caravan Club one night site vouchers , but as I am not a member of the Caravan Club I will have to pay £8 pn to be able to use the vouchers there is always a catch and as they say no such thing as a " Free " lunch !!

Sell them instead! People often stick them on ebay (we have in the past), or you could try putting an ad on the 'Buy and Sell' section on here ....

Archived