Blue sky all day. Hot sun. No wind. Where ?

art338

Had to take wife to Sheffield NG Hospital yesterday.

As we got away from the Hospital early & it was so nice we nipped over the border into the Derbyshire Dales, what a tonic for her - her 1st outing since an operation in January & enforced bed rest up until yesterday's appointment.

Amasing how many roadside laybys where full of walkers cars & many of the Cafe's full. But we did find one where we could sit outside in the sun & enjoy a coffee & cake.

A bit of sunshine & fresh air did her alot of good.

We're having our first night away of this year tomorrow! :->

Our usual haunt - off first thing to Withernsea, dropping into a carboot/market on the way, up to Withernsea for a potter round and let the dogs have a run arond on the beach, then up to Hornsea Freeport for a bit of shopping, before settling down near Hornsea boat store for the night (really nice spot) with fish and chips for tea. :D

Sunday we'll hit the large car boot and market at Skirlington, then back to Hornsea for another potter on the beach then home.

Supposed to be going down to 3 degrees tomorrow night but I don't care ... I need to get away !!!!!! :-D

Guest pelmetman

Had a nice BBQ today, Sea Bass with a bottle or two of vino collaspso :D

Very pleasant down here in Weymouth, Troys been for a paddle :D

Wednesday on the South Downs.  Lambs bleating and gambolling, skylarks singing, gorse and violets in bloom, three peacock butterflies, pheasant and grouse on the wing, a cock robin singing its heart out, the first hints of green appearing on fields, hedgerows and trees, a couple of largish raptors quartering - too far off to identify - the sun warm on one's back, and shimmering over the sea, and a couple of pints in a downland foot village to wash it all down.  Perfick!  :-D

Brian Kirby - 2011-03-25 7:53 PM

Wednesday on the South Downs.  Lambs bleating and gambolling, skylarks singing, gorse and violets in bloom, three peacock butterflies, pheasant and grouse on the wing, a cock robin singing its heart out, the first hints of green appearing on fields, hedgerows and trees, a couple of largish raptors quartering - too far off to identify - the sun warm on one's back, and shimmering over the sea, and a couple of pints in a downland foot village to wash it all down.  Perfick!  :-D

Brian,

You idle man, get out and get some work done in the garden, you'll feel fitter and better for it (lol)

Brian, you keep on enjoying your life in the slow lane, ignore Malcolm he's a northern soul and hasn't got used to the idea of enjoying life for what it is yet. I've been grafting me nuts off for the last month making sure that all you motorhomers have safe vehicles for the coming season and your post has cheered me up no end. :-D ;-) .

For my part I regularly see Buzzards circling overhead and I can now definitely say we also have a red kite or two in the area. This morning on arriving at work (07.45) we were serenaded by two blackbirds and a songthrush, absolutely wonderful :D .

D.

Dave Newell - 2011-03-25 8:43 PM

Brian, you keep on enjoying your life in the slow lane, ignore Malcolm he's a northern soul and hasn't got used to the idea of enjoying life for what it is yet. I've been grafting me nuts off for the last month making sure that all you motorhomers have safe vehicles for the coming season and your post has cheered me up no end. :-D ;-) .

For my part I regularly see Buzzards circling overhead and I can now definitely say we also have a red kite or two in the area. This morning on arriving at work (07.45) we were serenaded by two blackbirds and a songthrush, absolutely wonderful :D .

D.

Dave,

On april the 9th we will be away for a full 7 days, and for those 7 days I am going to be sitting on my bottle doing nowt bar eating drinking and doing whatever, so as you can see I do enter the slow lane now and again (lol)

Brian Kirby - 2011-03-25 7:53 PM

pheasant and grouse on the wing, a cock robin singing its heart out, the first hints of green appearing on fields, hedgerows and trees, a couple of largish raptors quartering - too far off to identify :-D

I don't think that you will have seen grouse on the South Downs, Brian -- no heather moorland there for them to browse on -- nearest place to these parts for them is Exmoor I deem! No, what you probably saw were French (a.k.a. red-legged) partridge, which have the same whirring take-off and flight.

We're off to the South Coast ( well I.o.W, then ) next w'end -- first trip out in the 'van this season (RSPB reserve there I'm told) -- until then, she who must be obeyed has got me preparing/planting the veg. garden in this glorious sunny weather.

when I haven't been out there I have had a grandstand view of an amazing range of birds on the feeders in my suburban garden -- Goldfinches, greenfinches, chaffinches, bramblings, siskins, a blackcap (or two) as well as the usual robins (yes, a pair) a wren, coal tits, long-tailed tits (beautiful) great tits, blue tits, sparrows, starlings, jackdaws, magpies, the odd rook (if I put out meat scraps, fat, or mealworms) carrion crows, blackbirds, but not, Dave Newell, thrushes (or mistle thrushes) -- I envy you those -- they seem to have disappeared from here, although we did get their relatives -- fieldfares and redwings during the recent hard winter.

Raptors -- one of the pesky pigeons got his 'come-uppance' last week -- I opened the curtains early in the morning to see Mr.Sparrow-hawk dissecting him on my lawn -- before flying away with the proceeds of his kill! His missus seems to prefer the collared doves -- she flew away from the remains of one when I went out of the back door (without checking the garden first) the other day! I don't see so many kestrels hovering over the local by-pass/main roads as I used to, but buzzards seem to be on the increase -- sometimes as many as four soaring together.

Anyway, enough of this, just enjoy your retirement Brian -- as I am doing!

Cheers,

Colin.

knight of the road - 2011-03-25 8:03 PM
Brian Kirby - 2011-03-25 7:53 PM Wednesday on the South Downs.  Lambs bleating and gambolling, skylarks singing, gorse and violets in bloom, three peacock butterflies, pheasant and grouse on the wing, a cock robin singing its heart out, the first hints of green appearing on fields, hedgerows and trees, a couple of largish raptors quartering - too far off to identify - the sun warm on one's back, and shimmering over the sea, and a couple of pints in a downland foot village to wash it all down.  Perfick!  :-D
Brian, You idle man, get out and get some work done in the garden, you'll feel fitter and better for it (lol)

All done: grass cut (second time), pruning completed, borders turned, general tidy up, and a mountain of munge to take to the local recycling centre, aka the tip.  :-)

Symbol Owner - 2011-03-26 2:51 PM
Brian Kirby - 2011-03-25 7:53 PM pheasant and grouse on the wing, a cock robin singing its heart out, the first hints of green appearing on fields, hedgerows and trees, a couple of largish raptors quartering - too far off to identify :-D
I don't think that you will have seen grouse on the South Downs, Brian -- no heather moorland there for them to browse on -- nearest place to these parts for them is Exmoor I deem! No, what you probably saw were French (a.k.a. red-legged) partridge, which have the same whirring take-off and flight. .............

Agreed, on reflection far more likely to be partridge, just didn't think of them.  All farmland, but owned by local estate, who organise shoots - hence the pheasants.  Probably do a few partridge as well for the sharp-shooters!  :-)

Any ideas on the raptors?  All I can really say is they were quite large, but am not aware of kites or buzzards down here.

I have just been driven of the garden by a thunderstorm/hailstorm! Serves me right for crowing about the fine weather! BUT -- no more digging etc. for a while! :D

Brian -- if your raptors were quartering ( and pretty large ) then they are likely to have been buzzards -- which are becoming very common again now that organo-chlorine pesticides etc. are no longer in use. If they were crescent-shaped, with a forked tail, then they could possibly have ben red kites -- but I'm not sure that they have come this far south -- I have seen them in S.Wales -- and possibly saw one over my garden here in Warminster last summer, but even with my 10x50 monocular, I couldn't be certain.

More thunder -- bye!

Colin.

Thanks Colin.  Couldn't see them in any detail, they were away to our south and fairly high, so just silhouetted against the sky, but definitely some kind of hawk from overall shape.  Mainly soaring, slow wing beat, couldn't see wing shape clearly either.  Didn't realise buzzards had found their way this far south - thought the houses were too expensive!  However, sounds about right in other respects.

Hi Brian

We have often seen Buzzard over the South Downs

From the South Downs Ranger's View website:-

" In fact the numbers of Buzzards in Sussex have increased greatly in the last ten or so years."

Also from the South Downs Way website:-

"Buzzards are also often seen, wheeling overhead and making their curious mewing call. If you are really lucky you might see a Red Kite with its distinctive notched tail. This is one of the areas where Kites have been reintroduced to England after many years' absence."

So there is a chance you could see Red Kites also. (Not that we have todate).

Archived