Blue sky all day. Hot sun. No wind. Where ?

art338

Dave Newell - 2011-03-25 8:43 PM

Brian, you keep on enjoying your life in the slow lane, ignore Malcolm he's a northern soul and hasn't got used to the idea of enjoying life for what it is yet. I've been grafting me nuts off for the last month making sure that all you motorhomers have safe vehicles for the coming season and your post has cheered me up no end. :-D ;-) .

For my part I regularly see Buzzards circling overhead and I can now definitely say we also have a red kite or two in the area. This morning on arriving at work (07.45) we were serenaded by two blackbirds and a songthrush, absolutely wonderful :D .

D.

Dave,

You say for the last month or so you have been grafting your nuts off, anyone self employed like you like me have to take advantage when you have a glut of work on the books, because there are the times when work is scarce and you have to keep the wolf from the door.

knight of the road - 2011-03-26 9:44 PM

Dave,

You say for the last month or so you have been grafting your nuts off, anyone self employed like you like me have to take advantage when you have a glut of work on the books, because there are the times when work is scarce and you have to keep the wolf from the door.

Do you need to keep the wolf from your door Malc? There's plenty of help out there you know if you're struggling.

With the greatest of respect, if you're still struggling at your time of life with being self employed, might it not be time to find yourself another career?

Martyn

Martyn,

No, we are not struggling, at this time of the year we are very busy and this is the time when we make the money for when there is snow or ice on the ground when we can't work.

January and february are the worst two months for us, as long as we get over them we are ok, we just cut down on spending and take an extended Christmas holiday.

For a lot of people it is hard to get work, for me it is hard to stop work, its nigh on impossible to break a lifetimes habit.

Guest pelmetman
knight of the road - 2011-03-26 10:23 PM

for me it is hard to stop work, its nigh on impossible to break a lifetimes habit.

That's a bad habit you've got Malcolm :D ...........I used to suffer from that..............Fortunately I managed to cure mine B-) (lol)

LordThornber - 2011-03-27 10:17 AM

knight of the road - 2011-03-26 10:23 PM

For a lot of people it is hard to get work, for me it is hard to stop work.

Just think Malc, if you stopped or reduced your work, someone else might get some work 8-)

Martyn

Martyn,

My way of thinking is this, there are no laws saying that you must work for a company and anyone with a skill or talent that someone will buy, all they have to do is place a small ad in their local rag, and sit down and wait for the phone to ring. Whatever work is out there belongs to no one, it is there for the taking to the one's who seek it out.

My dad died when I was aged 9 and that is when my working life started, I couldn't ask my mum for money because she simply didn't have any spare and that is when I learnt a valuable lesson in life, if you want money to buy treats go out and earn it.

By the time I was 10 or 11 I had my own little ports of call where I could earn money and it went on from there.

knight of the road - 2011-03-27 1:23 PM

Martyn,

I couldn't ask my mum for money because she simply didn't have any spare and that is when I learnt a valuable lesson in life, if you want money to buy treats go out and earn it.

By the time I was 10 or 11 I had my own little ports of call where I could earn money and it went on from there.

So your desire to continue working Malc doesn't come from habit as you said earlier, it comes from the need/desire/want of money, is that right?

Or have I misunderstood you?

Interesting stuff this.

Martyn

Martyn,

You are reading me wrong, in my earlier days I needed money so I worked for it, the work then became a habit, at my age now after a lifetimes work I have enough money tucked away here and there, the work I do now is purely for pleasure and job satisfaction the money that I get is secondary, the work that I do is basically my hobby and interest, some people go fishing, playing sports or whatever takes their fancy, I just like working.

Just after Christmas I got the cheque for some property I sold, I went down to the bank and put it in my instant access account the bank are doing cartwheels trying to get me to invest it in one of their investment schemes but I am not interested, I seem to think that they have perhaps sold that info because for the last couple of months I have been inundated by various financial investment companies trying to get a hold of my money

but being the type of person I am I just wind them up for a giggle.

Martyn,

You should ask yourself why do people like Richard Branson, Alan Sugar and Philip Green who are all millionaires if not billionares still do a full days work despite their wealth, they do it for the love of work.

The best business to be in bar none is buying and selling I have made a tidy penny over the years buying and selling stuff from the auctions, so why dont I just stick to buying and selling I hear you ask? the reason that I dont is first and foremost I like working with my hands, I like to create something that can be seen and appreciated.

Dave Newell - 2011-03-25 8:43 PM Brian, you keep on enjoying your life in the slow lane, ignore Malcolm he's a northern soul and hasn't got used to the idea of enjoying life for what it is yet. I've been grafting me nuts off for the last month making sure that all you motorhomers have safe vehicles for the coming season and your post has cheered me up no end. :-D ;-) . For my part I regularly see Buzzards circling overhead and I can now definitely say we also have a red kite or two in the area. This morning on arriving at work (07.45) we were serenaded by two blackbirds and a songthrush, absolutely wonderful :D . D.

Sorry Mr Newell, not ignoring you - just been too busy following your instructions!  Did it again today, still fine, even warmer (less breeze), and even more birdsong.  Passed ewe who had just dropped lamb, just about on its wobbly legs.  Ain't spring great!  :-)

Guest pelmetman
LordThornber - 2011-03-27 5:03 PM

Thanks for that Malc, it's a subject, (carrying on working), that I find both interesting and bewildering.

Martyn

I know exactly where Malcolm is coming from, work is not work when it is interesting and a pleasure to get up for :D

I have put my prices up once in the last 7 years :D .........I have enough to get by on, earning by todays standards peanuts per year *-)

It's not a chore if you dont have to do it :D

Oh I forgot to add........ working with your hands to produce something at the end of the day, is still a pleasure even after all these years ;-) Something that many people nowdays have no comprehension of :D

One of the biggest issues that makes me scratch my head about this carrying on working is, what about the whole wide world and all its opportunities that are failing to be explored whilst you're working?

The list is endless, (for me anyway), travel, study, learning a language, voluntary work, (there's that word again 8-) ), passing on your life skills to worthy causes etc etc etc.

Obviously you're fulfilled though by the work. And that's fine that's your business. If it's what makes you tick, c'est la vie :-D

Martyn

Guest pelmetman
LordThornber - 2011-03-27 7:53 PM

One of the biggest issues that makes me scratch my head about this carrying on working is, what about the whole wide world and all its opportunities that are failing to be explored whilst you're working?

The list is endless, (for me anyway), travel, study, learning a language, voluntary work, (there's that word again 8-) ), passing on your life skills to worthy causes etc etc etc.

Obviously you're fulfilled though by the work. And that's fine that's your business. If it's what makes you tick, c'est la vie :-D

Martyn

Thats the trouble with us oikes we are easily pleased :D ...............Regarding travel done that, seen most of the world, tried to catch anti social diseases, and can speak many languages enough so I can order a beer in most parts of the world :D ...........as for passing on skills, I am not prepared to employ staff and become a unpaid social worker :D .....but I'm not precious with my self learn't knowledge I go on another forum to give what hints and tips I can :-D

Hopefully the rest of my life when not at work I will waste on enjoying food and the odd drink not forgetting holidays :D .........I'm such a shallow oike (lol)

LordThornber - 2011-03-27 7:53 PM

Martyn

Martyn,

You dont seem to understand, I have worked for and got everything that I want here in my own backyard, I have no need to travel (foreign parts)

study or learn another language or do voluntary work or pass on my life skills.

I have no interest in the so called wide world, I have successfully explored most of the opportunities open to me, we go out in our motorhome and see what we are interested here in my own country, one mans meat is another mans poison or so they say.

The only thing that I can say is that you have as yet not fulfilled yourself, you are still searching for personal fulfillment, I have found mine.

I still work at 82 or is it 83, I don't care, age means nothing to me, I simply do what I do, that's how I live.

What is 'work' its an occupation, some see it as a rude word, getting out of bed is work to me, I see as keeping fit and aiming to be reasonably intelligent. If I save money at the shops that's work, as I had to scheme to organise it. Ladies add make up, now that's damned hard work and they have to pay for it !!!

I'm still free to go anywhere anytime, what's the problem?

Martyn

You seem to suggest voluntary work is 'not work', why is that? its very simply an occupation the same as any other sort of 'work work'.

art

Blimey, being fulfilled at my age? (46), no thankyou very much. I cannot think of anything worse than waking up without something to challenge me, get my teeth into or learn from.

I hope I'm always looking for something to challenge me. In fact very much like Sir Richard Branson. Albeit with a billion quid or 2 less... yes I've read his biographies, very interesting reads too I thought. Certainly his drive doesn't come from money, far from it.

I suspect Lord Sugar and Philip Greens motivation is very different to Bransons, but that's just my view. I've not read Alan Sugars book and I don't think PG has written one.

Art, fair comment about voluntary "work". If you see it as "work" though in the traditional sense, you shouldn't be doing it.

I've done many hundreds of hours and now enjoying semi-retirement, hope to crank it up a bit more.

I find it very enjoyable, the pleasure of giving my time (and receiving no payment) is very satisfying. I have had and continue to have, a very happy and fortunate life (so far) and it fills me with pleasure to share some of that good fortune. To give back to society is enriching of the soul, well my soul anyway.

Martyn

LordThornber - 2011-03-28 9:45 AM

Blimey, being fulfilled at my age? (46), no thankyou very much. I cannot think of anything worse than waking up without something to challenge me, get my teeth into or learn from.

I hope I'm always looking for something to challenge me. In fact very much like Sir Richard Branson. Albeit with a billion quid or 2 less... yes I've read his biographies, very interesting reads too I thought. Certainly his drive doesn't come from money, far from it.

I suspect Lord Sugar and Philip Greens motivation is very different to Bransons, but that's just my view. I've not read Alan Sugars book and I don't think PG has written one.

Art, fair comment about voluntary "work". If you see it as "work" though in the traditional sense, you shouldn't be doing it.

I've done many hundreds of hours and now enjoying semi-retirement, hope to crank it up a bit more.

I find it very enjoyable, the pleasure of giving my time (and receiving no payment) is very satisfying. I have had and continue to have, a very happy and fortunate life (so far) and it fills me with pleasure to share some of that good fortune. To give back to society is enriching of the soul, well my soul anyway.

Martyn

martyn,

You have answered your own question in this post, why do I at the age of 70 still work?? I work for the days challenge and to get my teeth into something fullfilling.

Archived