Murdered Girl

antony1969

Guest Peter James
knight of the road - 2011-03-27 6:10 PM

Peter James - 2011-03-27 5:23 PM

knight of the road - 2011-03-27 4:50 PM

And what percentage of Britains prison inmates are foreigners?

I don't know, depends how you define 'foreigners' I guess.

In terms of past occupation, by far the greatest number of prisoners are soldiers. Last I heard there were more (ex) soldiers in jail than there were in Afghanistan. source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/sep/24/jailed-veteran-servicemen-outnumber-troops

Ex British soldiers in our jails are expendable, they have been used and then cast aside as being of no further use, that is how this country rewards its veterans, shameful.

I've met some of them. When things don't go their way they turn violent, because they usually win. Isn't that what they teach them in the Army? Whatever the problem, violence is the solution?

Not saying they are all like that, but some are.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pelmetman
Peter James - 2011-03-27 6:51 PM

I've met some of them. When things don't go their way they turn violent, because they usually win. Isn't that what they teach them in the Army? Whatever the problem, violence is the solution?

Not saying they are all like that, but some are.

Sorry mate , but what some of these people have seen 8-) compared to the survivors from the London bombings who have been the focus of many newspapers etc :-S Your bog standard cannon fodder now days see the same once a week compared to your average civi *-)

I am frankly amazed that we have so few ex service nutters lose on the street :-S

In general I think the average human can put up and handle a lot of excess crap if you dont make a meal of it *-)

Soldiers are taught controlled aggression, unfortunately you cannot undo what they have been taught, it is there for life.

And as Dave says some of the things that these guys have seen are horrendous, men with their guts hanging out crying for their mother, not enough money is spent on these guys they are just tossed aside by an ungrateful government labour or Tory.

Guest Peter James
knight of the road - 2011-03-27 7:35 PM

not enough money is spent on these guys .

Being surrounded by water should make us cheaper to defend. It was enough to keep Hitler out when Britain stood alone, at its weakest, when Hitler was at his strongest.

So why does Britain already spend more on its military than any other country in Europe.

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_military_expenditures

Soldiers are taught controlled aggression, unfortunately you cannot undo what they have been taught, it is there for life.

And as Dave says some of the things that these guys have seen are horrendous, men with their guts hanging out crying for their mother, not enough money is spent on these guys they are just tossed aside by an ungrateful government labour or Tory.

Totally agree. It is not just what they see either. It is about waking up in the morning and getting ready to go back out on Patrol not knowing if you or some of your mates will make it back ! It's sitting in silence at Breakfast hoping that this is not your last meal ! If you make it to lunch time it's about finding a safe place to spend time cooking a meal over your Hexi stove whilst some of your mates keep watch, then standing watch for them whilst they eat ! It's about being caught in a gun battle and trying to establish who is shooting at you and where they are firing from ! If you are lucky to make it back to base camp you hope that there is enough solar heated water left to get a warm shower and then enjoy a hot meal in relative safety. Then you wake up again and another day, you thank God that you have made it to another day and you sit silently eating breakfast hoping that this is not your last meal.............just another 180 breakfasts to count 8-)

Peter James - 2011-03-27 7:49 PM

not enough money is spent on these guys .

Being surrounded by water should make us cheaper to defend. It was enough to keep Hitler out when Britain stood alone, at its weakest, when Hitler was at his strongest.

So why does Britain already spend more on its military than any other country in Europe.

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_military_expenditures

You supplied the facts Peter so read em , Russia , Ukraine , Armenia and Greece were all in Europe last time I looked . So you are wrong my friend .

Peter James - 2011-03-27 5:29 PM People who think British prisons are soft should take a look at Norway. They have a far lower crime rate, as well as a far lower percentage of the population in jail there. But the prisons are not what you would expect.

Norway's population is concentrated in a relatively small area of the country so therefore most of the resources can be focused there. They are a lot wealthier country than us (size for size) so are probably more content with their lot and like most European countries more family friendly than us.

And at the end of the day, they do not have to put up with constant E.U. interference in there affairs.

Looking at the Guardian links, and taking into account that the writer is an ex con who served 20yrs, so maybe a bit biased, there maybe something that Norway could teach us.

Who knows, if they all have computers then maybe they are watching our forum and reading all about our freedom of traveling. :-D  

Dave  

Guest Peter James
antony1969 - 2011-03-27 8:03 PM

You supplied the facts Peter so read em , Russia , Ukraine , Armenia and Greece were all in Europe last time I looked . So you are wrong my friend .

Look again. They all spent less than Britain (69,271,000,000)

Guest Peter James
nowtelse2do - 2011-03-27 8:20 PM
Peter James - 2011-03-27 5:29 PM People who think British prisons are soft should take a look at Norway. They have a far lower crime rate, as well as a far lower percentage of the population in jail there. But the prisons are not what you would expect.

Norway's population is concentrated in a relatively small area of the country so therefore most of the resources can be focused there. They are a lot wealthier country than us (size for size) so are probably more content with their lot and like most European countries more family friendly than us.

And at the end of the day, they do not have to put up with constant E.U. interference in there affairs.

Looking at the Guardian links, and taking into account that the writer is an ex con who served 20yrs, so maybe a bit biased, there maybe something that Norway could teach us.

Who knows, if they all have computers then maybe they are watching our forum and reading all about our freedom of traveling. :-D  

Dave  

I think the point is that Norway is more egalitarian than Britain, with less of a gap between rich and poor. The problem we have is that there are honest people who cannot get an apprenticeship training or earn enough to support themselves. So if you give training to prisoners that would be essential for them to earn an honest living and support themselves when they get out, which would be essential for their rehabilitation, you could get to the stage where people would have better opportunity for training inside prison than outside!

And if prisoners are trained up in prison where are the jobs for them when they have served their time? in my experience in the building trade trainee's have not got a cat in hells chance of getting a job.

And very few gaffers will take on an ex-con, gaffers are there to run a business, they are not social workers.

Peter James - 2011-03-27 9:53 PM

Yes I think the Criminal Records Agency was the final nail in the coffin for prisoner rehabilitation.

Peter, bit bemused as you offer no explanation for your statement. Can you offer some insight as to why the Criminal Records Bureau has got anything to do with prisoner rehabilitation.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Peter James

Because having a criminal record stops them making a living legally. Hence they go back to crime.

Incidentally, those who have so much faith in forensic science might take a look at this. A Police Officer battered the innocent Ian Tomlinson to the ground. All the pigs (about ten of them) standing there did nothing, whilst Ian Tomlinson was helped by a passer by!!!. Ian Tomlinson died within 150 seconds after being struck. Yet they still hired a so called forensic expert to say he died of natural causes!!!!!! http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/apr/15/ian-tomlinson-g20-inquest-death

Archived