DRL's

CISCO

Guest Tracker
pepe63 - 2011-03-28 12:47 PM

(..as you've had very little assistance from this thread..just the usual,sadly all to common,patronising and pedantic bickering... :-( )

You really must stop drinking river water from the Severn as it's making you grumpier and more irritable!

Tracker - 2011-03-28 2:50 PM

pepe63 - 2011-03-28 12:47 PM

(..as you've had very little assistance from this thread..just the usual,sadly all to common,patronising and pedantic bickering... :-( )

You really must stop drinking river water from the Severn as it's making you grumpier and more irritable!

(lol) ..it's funny you should say that!..I was just checking through a post prior to posting it,when I thought what a grimmpy old sod I was sounding! (lol) (lol)

(* "..no change there..", comes the voice from the kitchen*..)

;-)

Your replies have, at least, proved DRL’s register attention.

Still working on which ones.

Tracker: My side lights may already be fitted and if visibility warrants it,

they are used. (As mentioned legislation already in place).

But the 16 lights that come on consume significantly more electricity

(more CO2) than Two LED DRL’s

Clive: Not a comment expected from a respected consultant.

As I understand it the dates mentioned for Europe including DRL’s

7th February 2011 – (New cars and small vans)

7th August 2012 – (New buses and trucks)

(retro fitting, like myself, is optional)

Corkie 8 & pepe63: Thank you.

We believe the reports to be true that DRL’s save lives. That alone is sufficient reason to fit them. Also, for us it’s not and never has been an eyesight issue. Of course if you cannot see (in our case) a 9x8x22 ft, predominately white box coming at you, you indeed have a problem. However, accidents happen and the increased awareness and perception brought about by the presence of a permanently on, economical, front light makes, in our opinion, safer motoring.

We believe the reports to be true that DRL’s save lives. That alone is sufficient reason to fit them. Also, for us it’s not and never has been an eyesight issue. Of course if you cannot see (in our case) a 9x8x22 ft, predominately white box coming at you, you indeed have a problem. However, accidents happen and the increased awareness and perception brought about by the presence of a permanently on, economical, front light makes, in our opinion, safer motoring.

CISCO - 2011-03-28 3:41 PM

Agreed

Guest Tracker
CISCO - 2011-03-28 3:40 PM

However, accidents happen and the increased awareness and perception brought about by the presence of a permanently on, economical, front light makes, in our opinion, safer motoring.

I really can't see that the alleged CO2 levels from the increased fuel use from the otherwise 'free' electricity generated by your alternator would be measurably different between lots of sidelights and lots of leds and for me personally it's not about the over hyped politically correct CO2, it's about cost and staying in one piece.

Anything to heighten the awareness of oncoming idiots to a gurt big white box on wheels has to be a good thing and for myself I will simply carry on using dipped headlights and hope that I see your led running lights at the same time that you see my headlights coming towards you!

Guest 1footinthegrave
Tracker - 2011-03-28 6:08 PM

CISCO - 2011-03-28 3:40 PM

However, accidents happen and the increased awareness and perception brought about by the presence of a permanently on, economical, front light makes, in our opinion, safer motoring.

I really can't see that the alleged CO2 levels from the increased fuel use from the otherwise 'free' electricity generated by your alternator would be measurably different between lots of sidelights and lots of leds and for me personally it's not about the over hyped politically correct CO2, it's about cost and staying in one piece.

Anything to heighten the awareness of oncoming idiots to a gurt big white box on wheels has to be a good thing and for myself I will simply carry on using dipped headlights and hope that I see your led running lights at the same time that you see my headlights coming towards you!

Blimey, are you all driving on single track roads or have you all got seriously dodgy eyesight out there, if you can't see something that big coming towards you I despair, lights or no lights 8-)

Hi Tracker,

I’m a late starter when it comes to replacing LED’s for halogen bulbs in our Motorhome. In fact I’ve only recently replaced the two reading lights in the dinning area with the equivalent GU4 white light 10 LED’s and a new complete LED fitting in the wardrobe. Off to Shepton Mallet Saturday and I have a list. The realisation of what little LED’s take from a battery is astonishing. Two halogen bulbs on – battery charger/management kicks in – two LED lights on – not even recognised.

Now - DRL’s v’s Side Lights. You don’t have to take my word for it – just Goggle Fuel/Emission LED savings, or Wiki and stand back. (Wish it was free but electricity from an alternator aint free) The rate at which the alternator works depends on demand. Higher demand more fuel and more CO2 produced. The mark up for none LED systems, subject to what/who your reading, (min x 4 – max x 20) I’d settle for an average of x 10. LED based systems, annually save millions of litres of fuel and reduce CO2 by millions of metric tonnes. We are going to be a part of that saving.

Archived