oil filter change

I apologise if this offends but if you've never changed an oil filter then you are a complete novice where engines are concerned.

Having said that it is not anything special, the filter is a spin on canister type and fairly straightforward to change but please do the oil as well. The filter may well be verry tight and you will almost certainly need a tool to remove it.

D.

Guest Peter James

Screw it up by hand, but about as tight as an average person can with one hand, to avoid it working loose.

I still remember the first one I did. Following the instructions in the manual exactly, I turned it until the gasket had made contact then another half a turn. Didn't feel very tight, and it wasn't. It worked loose, I lost all the oil. At least I learned how to strip and rebuild an engine :$

Guest peter
Have a container ready to catch the oil as you remove it or you will be taking an early bath. You will wear suitable gloves of course.

Guest Tracker

I echo Dave's sentiment, with respect, if you need to ask how you might wish to consider getting someone else who does have the experience to show you how it should be done?

Not only will you know how to do it right next time but you won't risk losing all your oil and needing a new engine at massive cost!

Sorry if that is not the answer you were looking for but it's better than being stuck in Pissindoon with a wrecked engine or a gert puddle of oil on yer driveway!

You've really never changed the oil and filter on anything before?

Ok.

Google for how to change engine oil, and how to change oil filter.

It's nothing to be scared of at all, it's possibly the easiest part of any routine maintenance.......but, I'd echo the advice from others to get someone who knows how to do it to help you the first time.

And don't forget to smear new oil around the seal of the new filter before you spin it onto the threaded location and the tighten it up.

And keep receipts for oil and filter purchases as part of your maintenance records, so you can prove to future buyer/in case of warranty claim, that the changes were done on time, using correct materials.

Certainly I'd strongly recommend that you learn how to do it; if nothing else it'll save you plenty of money in garage charges for doing it in years to come.

First, warm the engine by running it for say 5 minutes and then drain oil. The filter is quite accessible and you should be able to turn it off by hand. My tool for a sticking filter is a large screwdriver by just punching it right through the filter and then turning. Smear the face of the new filter with clean oil, fit, fill with new oil, 10w40 (???) and then start engine and check you have no leaks. Mark mileage in service manual for the next time round and Bobs your uncle, at least a lot of saved bobs!

Guest peter
Then get a large tin of Gunk, to clean up the oil that you've dumped on your drive by putting a screwdriver through the filter. Not nice. :D

Guest 1footinthegrave

I have always done my own servicing, BUT as you say you have never done this before as other posters have said try to find someone who has the necessary experience to guide you.

Two things to be aware of, new copper washer for the sump plug ( if fitted ) tightened to the correct torque, a filter chain wrench is almost essential, or the very messy way as Peter said, bash a screw driver through the old filter to act as a lever to turn it. Be prepared for oil gushing out that could well miss your container and copious amounts of engine oil over your hands and arms if not careful, then a trip to find your local oil recycle place.

The possibility of getting it wrong and losing all your oil as happened to a friend of mine, with a subsequent seized engine, not the end of the world in his case with a £500 banger, but could have been avoided if he had checked for leaks after he had done the job. Good luck.

sshortcircuit - 2011-03-27 11:16 PM

My tool for a sticking filter is a large screwdriver by just punching it right through the filter and then turning.

Please ss, buy yourself a pair of oil filter pliers, they are not expensive. I have a pair of these link ebay

and is the best investment I ever made in tools. Very easy to use on the oil filter flats/ridges and after years of using straps, chains, and yes screwdrivers, work the best.

I dont think its fair to tell him to pay someone who knows what there doing to do it etc blah blah blah...

This is an oil filter change not brain surgery. Mr fairweather has asked for advice on how to do a very simple job which for whatever reason he has not had to do before, just because he hasnt done it before does not meen that he isnt capable of doing it now.... so.....

1- First ensure that the new filter is definately the correct one before removing old one.

2 - You may need a strap wrench (£10 or so from halfords etc) unless its hand tight which I doubt, you could use the screwdriver through the can method but its messy.

3 - As said warm engine a bit so oil flows out better.

4 - Unscrew filter and allow oil to drain into a container.

5 - Fit new filter.

6 - Check for leaks

Ensure that you wear some throw away gloves as you may have an allergy to the oil. Ensure thst the container you drain into is big enough and has a lid then take it to recycle centre they will be able to dispose of it for you.

Go for it, its more than a few quid saved and you cant go wrong, good luck.

Thanks for the advice Brambles. For a job I have successfully achieved, for many years, with the occasional use of a screwdriver and now down to an annual job, fancy pliers are not on the agenda.

If I had to buy a tool for all the difficult tasks I have achieved over the years, I would not be able to carry my tool box. Does the brain some good to work out a solution with the tools you have.

Guest 1footinthegrave

I know where he's coming from, at my age I resist the temptation to buy any more tools, but given the choice of bashing screwdrivers or the like through the filter, or buying a chain filter wrench, I would choose the later having done the job both ways many times over.

Yes I agree we all try to improvise from time to time, I've got the memories of skinned knuckles, bashed thumbs, or oil dribbling down my arms from many such attempts. However if the OP is going to do this on a regular basis I for one would advise him to get the proper tool. :-|

The screwdriver through the can method is only for the brave or stupid. I have done it before and the filter would not come off (it was that tight / rubber welded to the filter base).

Once you have banged your screwdriver through the filter case, you are 100% commited to getting it off; fail and the vehicle is crippled.

Screwdrivers through the filter are in the same league as using tights as a fan-belt replacement.

Get a proper tool for the job, they are cheap and can be easilly stored at home.

Well spospe, rather an undiplomatic turn of phrase. I must be one of these stupid people that have done it with a screwdriver more times than I can count.

You need to appreciate there are different ways of doing things and that if somebody does not do it how you do it, they are not stupid

Well Melvin, its how you use the tools you have and again another choice term, have not made a pigs ear yet

Valerie

If you do go ahead with an oil change it is most important to fit a new collapsible copper washer to the sump drain plug it is not a standard flat copper washer fitting the old one or the wrong one will cause a leak from the sump drain plug and you will lose all the oil to change it later

Alf

Guest 1footinthegrave
Blimey guys, the OP said he has never done it before, so some advise the bodge it with a screwdriver method. The filter on a 2.8 Jtd is a monster of a filter compared to a car, and can as others have said be mighty tight, give the guy a break and advise him to get the proper tool, he'll thank you for it. It's not about what you do, it's about hopefully saving the guy some grief :-D

sshortcircuit - 2011-03-28 8:09 PM

Well spospe, rather an undiplomatic turn of phrase. I must be one of these stupid people that have done it with a screwdriver more times than I can count.

My dear fellow, why do you think that I think that you are stupid? Obviously I think that you are brave; don't take on so!

Guest 1footinthegrave

What a pointless stupid exercise these forums are sometimes, how is this latest post any help at all to the OP.

>:-(

1footinthegrave - 2011-03-28 8:34 PM

Blimey guys, the OP said he has never done it before, so some advise the bodge it with a screwdriver method. The filter on a 2.8 Jtd is a monster of a filter compared to a car, and can as others have said be mighty tight, give the guy a break and advise him to get the proper tool, he'll thank you for it. It's not about what you do, it's about hopefully saving the guy some grief :-D

Did no one note the OP is called Valerie Tompson ???

A few years ago I bought a Oil and Fluid Extractor from Machine Mart it was £49 I can change oil without going underneath the van it does it via the dipstick anyone wishing to change oil each year or a couple of times a year the thing is brilliant no mess easy to use see this link

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/pela-650-6-5l-oil-fluid-extractor?da=1&TC=RV-051713650 they are a bit dearer now but for DIY oil change or any plumbing work to extract water from pipes toilets etc

1footinthegrave - 2011-03-28 9:11 PM

What a pointless stupid exercise these forums are sometimes, how is this latest post any help at all to the OP.

>:-(

I do agree with you. Started off giving what I thought was good advise and then got jumped on by the mob who think there way or no way. Sad but sometimes wonder what the point in posting is if you end up being hounded.

A well, thick skinned.

Guest peter
This is the only filter wrench I use now. I have tried chain wrenches and they are a pain to use. Fits on a 1/2" ratchet handle.

1363738196_oilfilterwrench.jpg.7447b4c6d07c30bb9716ad9aab81df81.jpg

Archived