oil filter change

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Peter James
Tracker - 2011-03-27 10:24 PM

it's better than being stuck in Pissindoon with a wrecked engine or a gert puddle of oil on yer driveway!

I'll second That :$

In my defence it was a 1970 Ford Capri 1600GTXLR which has an oil gauge in place of a warning light. So the only warning of low oil pressure is if you happen to drive with your eye on the oil pressure gauge needle.

Alf, regarding your suggestion of an oil extraction device, I agree it is probably quicker and easier which is why garages do it this way, but I feel that you are more likely to get a better job by removing all the oil quickly through the drain plug when the engine is warm/hot, and thereby ensuring any nasty particles are removed from the bottom of the sump. I am willing to be corrected on this by someone with the right experience, but I am always happier when my vehicle is out of warranty and I can do the oil change my way, and know the quality of the oil I am using as well !! ( Yes I am a grumpy old git of 70 whose been doing my own servicing post warranty since my first car in 1960...) :-D

Archived