Timimg Belt Change, 2005 Ducato 2.8 JTD

laimeduck

Guest peter
I wouldn't, but it's up to you. Do a search and you will find loads of conflicting views, as it's been done to death in the past.

Just had ours replaced on 2006 ducato, 25,000 miles. It did not need replacing, but we did not want it to break while away on the continent

We are having air springs fitted to-morrow, as van sits low at the back now. Hopefully this is the end of our SPEND on the van, well for a while any way

PJay

Guest 1footinthegrave
A no brainer, get it done, and ask for the full kit including rollers. Your van may be a 2005, but it could well have been made much earlier so err on the side of caution if I was you.

I was discussing this today with a mechanic friend at the garage where we get our serviced. His advice was find out if the engine was an “interference” engine i.e. if the belt goes the pistons and valves make contact. Not all engines do, so anyone know?

PS 17,000 on a 2005 2.8JTD.

Guest peter

Apart from wrecking the cylinder head if it breaks. Interference or not you would still be stuck at the side of the road if it broke.

They can break at any time anyway new or not and your still stuck.

My 3Ltr toyota supra's belt was 23 Yrs old when I sold it, but it was not an interference head.

If you have any doubts, get it changed, as you will only be thinking that it will go at any time.

There's a fortune being made from the paranoia of cam belts.

"There's a fortune being made from the paranoia of cam belts."

Alternative viewpoint is there's many fortunes being saved by replacing the belt before it fails.

Having personal experience of a belt breaking (on my wifes car) and the trouble and cost of fixing it I can see no sense whatsoever in not changing the belt.

Just to give some idea of grief and costs when the wife's car's belt went she was on her way to work:

Because of the belt failure she was late.

I had to tow the car back to my workshop several hours later that day.

Several of the valves were bent and the head had to be skimmed, pressure tested and rebuilt with new valves.

New belt, tensioners and water pump plus antifreeze.

The car was off the road for over a week which caused problems for my wife getting to work ten miles away.

Doing as much of the work myself as possible it still cost over £300 in parts and other peoples services to fix it.

Now if your motorhome's timing belt breaks and you're in France for example you can multiply those problems by any factor you care to choose. To the best of my knowledge all motorhome base vehicle diesel engines are an "interference design" so if it breaks you're in for a big bill................and a messed up holiday.

Now someone please explain to me why belts should not be changed on age as well as mileage?

D.

Thanks guys

I too have had one let go - more accurately the water pump sheared, which caused the belt to go on a 2.1 TD Citroen XM on the M25 at Sevenoaks. Write off!

Still my 90 year old Mother who was with me enjoyed her first ride in a pick-up truck!

As has been said, they can go at any time, so I'll get it booked in - sometime soon.

Jeremy the L'aimeduck

Hello,

If it is recommended by the manufs, then I say do the belt

But......water pumps, bearings etc ?.......well........the next question is where do we stop?

What is the reliability of modern engine systems, why not replace the entire engine for Justin Case ?

Where does the "fear factor" end? and....... just as important......who is driving it?

Being a "Tyke" I am a "belts n braces" man but there are limits........ :-)

I am afraid this is the down side I am afraid, but look at it like this, if you asked me to replace a timing belt for you and I did not inform you at the time that if you don't replace the water pump or idlers knowing they can cause a belt to break,,,Hmmmm, yea right, By the way thats why now, timing belt KITS are sold.

Come on we are trying to help here,

Regards,

Brendan

Guest peter
laimeduck - 2011-03-29 9:07 AM

Thanks guys

I too have had one let go - more accurately the water pump sheared, which caused the belt to go on a 2.1 TD Citroen XM on the M25 at Sevenoaks. Write off!

Still my 90 year old Mother who was with me enjoyed her first ride in a pick-up truck!

As has been said, they can go at any time, so I'll get it booked in - sometime soon.

Jeremy the L'aimeduck

As you said "the water pump sheared" so the belt did not fail.

Guest peter
I'm so scared of my belt breaking after reading all this, I'm going to get my belt changed every six months from now on. Just in case...... (lol)

Hi,

No one is trying to scaremonger or frighten anyone only to inform. I have repaired many and it surly did frighten the owners when it happened,one person who got his done by a dealer who replaced the belt and not the water pump before going on holidays, The pump went and he had to be towed home ruining his holiday all for the sake of just not replacing the water pump with the belt for a few Pounds/ Euro more,as the belt was been replaced

So its up to the individual and change them , then enjoy your motorhome.

Regards,

Brendan

What I find interesting is for exactly the same engines Peugeot seem to have a 70K miles or 10 years service interval. This makes sense actually because the ducato/boxer uses the latest technology timing belts which have a much longer life and are stronger. So maybe if anyone here has a Boxer they could confirm what the service schedule is as my information may be wrong.

Brambles - 2011-03-30 12:49 AM

What I find interesting is for exactly the same engines Peugeot seem to have a 70K miles or 10 years service interval. This makes sense actually because the ducato/boxer uses the latest technology timing belts which have a much longer life and are stronger. So maybe if anyone here has a Boxer they could confirm what the service schedule is as my information may be wrong.

Oh well here goes Bramble! Using Autodata the list for the Boxer is as follows

1.9 1998-00 (and Turbo)

>07/98

72000 or 10years Normal Use

60000 or 5 years Adverse use

08/98>

80000 or 10years NU

60000 or 5 years AU

-------------

2.0 1994-02

>06/99

72000 or 5years NU

07/99>

80000 or 5years NU

>07/98

60000 or 5years AU

08/98>

48000 or 5years AU

-------------

2.5 D 1994-02

>07/98

72000 or10years NU

60000 or 5 years AU

08/98>

80000 or10years NU

60000 or 5years AU

---------------

2.5 TD 1994-02 (all years same)

72000 or 10years NU

60000 or 5years AU

---------------

Boxer II 2.8 2002-2006

>2004

72000 or 10years NU

60000 or 5years AU

2004>

80000 or 10years NU

48000 or 5years AU

------------------

Boxer II 2.0 (with 12000 mile service interval)

72000 or 10years NU

54000 or 5years AU

(with 20000 mile service interval)

90000 or 10years NU

72000 or 5years AU

-------------------

Boxer II 2.2 (with 12000 mile service interval)

96000 or 10years NU

80000 or 5years AU

(with 12000 mile service interval)

90000 or 10years NU

72000 or 5years AU

Don't ask me why so many differences I'm only copying the data! ;-)

Bas

Thanks ever so much for the info BAS. So looks like the trade takes the easy or safe option of not knowing use of vehicle and just jump to recommending 5 years, but if you are a normal driver etc etc, what ever that is, then 10 years for many is fine.

Puts a new aspect on the subject.

Guest peter
As I said previously I had a cambelt on my car that was 23 Yrs old and still good, and that was on a 3 Ltr high performance car.

Brambles - 2011-03-30 11:48 AM

......................, but if you are a normal driver etc etc, what ever that is, then 10 years for many is fine.

Speaking to my friendly engineer, there is a question as to whether a motorhomes life is 'normal' or 'arduous'. Does being driven around at maximum loading at all times make it 'arduous', what about the motorhome's low milage is that 'normal', what about the motorhome that is not used for long periods or even laid up for winter, that is definately not 'normal'.

So maybe the shorter time frame should be considered, better to change while ok than risk an expensive repair, just food for thought.

I know what my preference is but it is up to the individual of course, in those immortal words, 'Do you feel lucky punk.'

Bas

Guest peter
Brambles - 2011-03-30 10:36 PM

Well Peter, you were just darn lucky or you did very low mileage.

Well, as has been said numerous times in this thread. It's the timescale that matters as much as mileage. It had done 140k miles.

Basil - 2011-03-30 11:16 PM

Brambles - 2011-03-30 11:48 AM

......................, but if you are a normal driver etc etc, what ever that is, then 10 years for many is fine.

Speaking to my friendly engineer, there is a question as to whether a motorhomes life is 'normal' or 'arduous'. Does being driven around at maximum loading at all times make it 'arduous', what about the motorhome's low milage is that 'normal', what about the motorhome that is not used for long periods or even laid up for winter, that is definately not 'normal'.

So maybe the shorter time frame should be considered, better to change while ok than risk an expensive repair, just food for thought.

I know what my preference is but it is up to the individual of course, in those immortal words, 'Do you feel lucky punk.'

Bas

This is my view on the subject, because a motorhome generally does low mileage it must therefore stand around for long periods of time as well as the permanently pulling close to maximum weight puts it into the abnormal category. OK Peueot call it "arduous" so what? Bas's final line sums up my opinion perfectly.

And before anyone thinks that as I'm trade I'm bound to go for the early option to increase my business, I don't do cambelts except for my own!

Peter was damned lucky with the Toyota and in fact all it proves is that belts CAN go on for many years and miles past their reccomended lifespan. The fact is though that they still do fail and generally cause a lot of damage when they do fail.

Have a read back through this thread, there are more people saying they've experienced failure of a timing belt or associated components than are saying "mine went to the moon and back and was still performing well at 14 years old!

D.

I work for a fleet workshop and i've seen loads broken even before time and mileage. With my last van i checked with dealer and it was almost 2 years older than reg plate so changed the belt with in days! Never worth the risk of not changing.

Archived