refillable gas cylinders

snail

Could be a good buy for caravan owners though, but the thought of a plastic cylinder jangling about in the 'Black hole of Calcutta' that is the usual caravan cuddy, would give me nightmares.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mel B - 2011-05-23 10:31 PM

The Safefill bottles are dearer than Gaslow, but I suppose if you don't need to buy the filler hose/point/bracket that would make up for the difference. I've just been having a shuftie and this page is useful:

http://www.safefill.co.uk/faqs.html

The cylinder is more or less the equivalent of the small Gaslow one so doesnt' hold as much gas as the larger Gaslow one.

The thing that would concern me is the refilling of it though - having to get the nozzle of the filler gun onto the filler point when it is in a 'restricted' gas locker could be fun. I would think that this would also then raise alarm amongst some garage owners as it is a direct fill to the bottle, rather than via a filler point, which is one method that I think some people have had problems with at some places.

The Safefill product is conceptually similar to the composite MTHA bottles marketed some years ago. The main difference is in the bottle's filler point, with the Safefill bottle having an 80% shut-off valve (plus a safety valve) and (except for a few prototypes with an 80% valve) the MTHA cylinders having neither.

I would not anticipate refilling a Safefill bottle in a motorhome's gas locker being a problem, though you'd (obviously) need to ensure that you could reach the bottle's filler point with the filler gun. My Hobby has a smallish gas locker and I carry a 6kg Calor bottle in the rear corner and a 5kg MTHA bottle towards the locker's front where it's easily accessible for refilling.

I wouldn't argue with your other observation about there being potential problems at service stations refilling a 'free-standing' LPG container (like the Safefill product) rather than a 'fixed' container like the Gaslow one. In fact, my understanding is that the Safefill bottle is aimed particularly at the caravan community and, consequently, it's probable that refilling would involve taking the bottle to the LPG pump rather than refilling it within the caravan's gas locker. This practice could well cause service-station attendants considerable concern.

Composite bottles are clearly more fragile than metal ones when it comes to accident damage, so pkc's comment may have some validity. However, the Safefill bottle will be no more fragile than BP's "Gas Light" composite cylinders that caravanners have been using for years. If a caravanner habitually carries gas bottles in a locker surrounded by loose metal objects, then a composite LPG bottle would be an unwise choice.

Guest pelmetman

When I filled my gas bottle for the first time in Telford, there was a sign on the pump banning the filling of portable gas bottles.

This was not at a petrol station but a gas depot :-S

Archived