Timing Belt 2.3 diesel Fiat. Sept 2005

AL68

Any thought on this,then folks....

.my local FIAT dealer (FIAT 2007 2.3/Burstner) will NOT do the MOT unless cambelt is FIRST changed...they state that the engine has to be run at very high revs for a period of time during the MOT......The motorhome is just coming up to 4 yrs and 25k miles at most. His prices are also higher than my original dealer.supplier, but thats a journey of 200 miles each way I could well do without due to time constraints. Trouble is MOT runs out at a most inconvenient time!

My expectation was to get the MOT done locally, then use a trip for other purposes to my original dealer for teh 48month service and cambelt change, but whats this - the local FIAT people NOT willing to take a risk o f potential damage during an MOT!?? Surely that can't be right.....certainly in normal driving it's noweher near full revs..probably max 3-3500rpm at most, so what happens on the MOT?!

Hi,

Sorry but this is the down side of Cambelts I am afraid, they are changing but slowly. Lots of people (not to many in the trade) will tell you ah all will be OK but where will they be if the belt does break.

Again this is the down side of cambelts.

Regards,

Brendan

Keith T - 2011-04-06 10:24 PM

.my local FIAT dealer (FIAT 2007 2.3/Burstner) will NOT do the MOT unless cambelt is FIRST changed...they state that the engine has to be run at very high revs for a period of time during the MOT......The motorhome is just coming up to 4 yrs and 25k miles at most. His prices are also higher than my original dealer.supplier, but thats a journey of 200 miles each way I could well do without due to time constraints. Trouble is MOT runs out at a most inconvenient time!

My expectation was to get the MOT done locally, then use a trip for other purposes to my original dealer for teh 48month service and cambelt change, but whats this - the local FIAT people NOT willing to take a risk o f potential damage during an MOT!?? Surely that can't be right.....certainly in normal driving it's noweher near full revs..probably max 3-3500rpm at most, so what happens on the MOT?!

Show them your Fiat handbook like me you will probably fall under the *5 year, otherwise go to another MOT station/ or contact John Cross Motorhomes.

Surly you are keeping your Motorhome and want to keep it in good condition, so it's not just to pass a test, change the belt. No good having a fresh MOT and then have a belt go a few weeks down the road. MOT testers are well aware of the problems. If it goes wrong , what do we say,,,oh we should have been told..

Regards,

Brendan

Guest peter
Keith T - 2011-04-06 10:24 PM

Don't use the Fiat dealer then. I go to our local van hire and sales outlet for comercial vehicles.

Hi,

What is your local fiat dealer saying only you need to change your belt from their experience. I would have to agree. Now where you get it done is up to you ,but get it done. Like I have said before no good having a fresh MOT only for a belt to break a short time later.

Regards,

Brendan

Hi all

just had a quote today to replace the cambelt on my Hymer 2.8 TD 2004 model 24000miles

New belt and tensioners £225.

Water pump runs on a seperate belt and would be checked as part of the job, replacement only if requirred . If pump not leaking why change it.

Look at C&M Auto services Lancaster... www.candmauto .co.uk This firm changing belts all the time,

try them you may be surprised.

Regards Dave

Guest Tracker

He is too shy to advertise - but you could always ask Nick at Euroserv for a quote?

He has the experience and does seem to know what he is doing whilst so many seem confused?

Archived