Bargain Habitation Service????

paulmold

Peter, it was not all untrue at all far from it. I accept that my opening view that it is illegal to work on your own vans gas installation may not be strictly true and i corrected that statement in my next post. I went on to try to explain that the regs are a minefield and that somewere within the gas regs or hse regs MY view COULD be validated and that regardless of the legalities its probably better not to. Now what part of any of that is incorrect ? I dont want this to get into a slanging match as I am not trying to be confrontational in any way therefore probably better to leave it at that. I wish you a very pleasant weekend.

Hi All these back and fore arguments are all very interesting, but what I want to know for certain is whether my local annual maintenance check has been carried out correctly and in full compliance with all legal requirements by suitably qualified and competent engineers at a reasonable cost. Has anyone found a habitation check dealer willing to guarantee full legal compliance with all regulations and accept full legal liability for their work. Is a "special offer of £99 " such a check .. I doubt it.

tonyg3nwl

Guest JudgeMental

when I had the problem years ago with my refillable installation and I tried to get it "inspected" it became clear that a "Corgi gas fitter" (at the time - Now a "gas safe fitter") was UNQUALIFIED to INSPECT a motorhome LPG installation.

You try and find an LPG qualified fitter in London....they are out in the country for obvious reasons *-) and anyway motor homes and caravans are exempt from regs unless hired out

Well thanks for turning a post that I thought could be useful to members by recommending a value-for-money service into a debate/argument regarding qualifications of gas fitters.

Anyway, the habitation service/check (whichever you prefer to call it) took place this morning. The mobile engineer arrived at the pre-booked time, promply produced the 'motorhome habitation checklist' that he would be working from and got on with it, asking me if there were any issues I would like him to give particular attention to.

I have attached a blank copy of the checklist so you can see how thorough it was. He replaced my gas hose as it was showing signs of perishing and adjusted my hob burner. All done for the quoted price of £65 and left me a signed copy of the checklist.

Well thanks for turning a post that I thought could be useful to members by recommending a value-for-money service into a debate/argument regarding qualifications of gas fitters.

Anyway, the habitation service/check (whichever you prefer to call it) took place this morning. The mobile engineer arrived at the pre-booked time, promply produced the 'motorhome habitation checklist' that he would be working from and got on with it, asking me if there were any issues I would like him to give particular attention to.

I have attached a blank copy of the checklist so you can see how thorough it was. He replaced my gas hose as it was showing signs of perishing and adjusted my hob burner. All done for the quoted price of £65 and left me a signed copy of the checklist.

Server problem wont let me attach the copy so I re-did post below as it now wont allow me to delete this one.

Guest JudgeMental

did he carry out a thorough damp check with a proper meter?? as that would be my one and only concern with a coachbuilt *-)

and keep your hair on? these things tend to ebb and flow like normal converstation!

He replaced my gas hose as it was showing signs of perishing and adjusted my hob burner. All done for the quoted price of £65 and left me a signed copy of the checklist.

I tried to attach a photo of the checklist but have encounted a server problem on the forum so i've listed the itemised list below:-

12v System - Battery, fridge charge, relays, zig unit & switches, fuses, battery charge, interior lights, sockets, fan motor, auto ignitors.

Damp Check - seams, corner rails, waist bands, rubbing straights, cleated joints, hinge bars, roof rails, window rubbers, external lockers, roof lights & vents.

Gas System - Leak test, gas hose, pipes & unions, gas drop vents, bottle security, cooker hob, fridge, oven, heater, flues, blown air heating.

Water System - water filter, pump & primer, pressure, hoses & connections, tiptoe switches, pressure switch, micro switches, water flow, taps & drains, water heater (lighting only), cassette toilet (flush only), faucets.

240v System - consumer unit, polarity, wiring, charger, sockets, lighting, water heater, fridge, heater.

All in all, I think a very comprehensive list and well worth the £65 for peace of mind.

If anyone wants his details (he covers The Wirral, Cheshire and North Wales) PM me for his details.

JudgeMental - 2011-04-06 5:37 PM

did he carry out a thorough damp check with a proper meter?? as that would be my one and only concern with a coachbuilt *-)

and keep your hair on? these things tend to ebb and flow like normal converstation!

Yes he did. In conversation I asked what he thought of the £2.99 damp meters sold on Ebay. His answer was not printable but the one he uses cost him over £500.

Archived