Overnight stop in Chartres

mikemelson

Hi, Can anyone recommend an overnight stop in Chartres? In December, in the snow, we stayed 2 nights in a side road near the cathedral, but were told by someone that they had seen campervans parked up by the river.

If anyone out there has stayed at this place, I would grateful for any information as to the whereabouts.

The only place that we have used, has been the Camping Les Bordes de L'Eure site. This is a good site with a direct illuminated path into the town centre.

My list of Aires quotes one at Rue de Lonay, but we have not been and don't know if overnighting is allowed there. The co-ords are:

E1.49975 N48.43426 (this Aire list is the one from WoMo and is not always 100% reliable, so take care)

Have just cheked my 'Aires' guide,and this confirms there is one outside the site which is 'Les Bords de l'Eure'.

have stayed on site (not on the aire) several times, and never been aware of any problems, so perhaps this was a one off?? It is used by a lot of Uk and other nationalities, so if anyone has any further information on this, it would be helpful to post it, or maybe reaise a question on the Sites forum?

We have used many times Chartres Municipal At Les Bords de l'Eure, Rue de Launey, and as others have said there is a large area outside the site where we have seen many motorhomes parked up for a freebie, and I think they then walk in to the site and use the facilities without paying. very cheeky and they may sometimes get stopped but it is difficult to spot them and differentiate from genuine site payers who have just been out for a walk.

From what I remember last year the site fee was 15 euro including electric, and there is a borne inside the gate for empty and refill, pay at the reception.(2 euro?)

We have never had any problem staying on the site, and no experience of the freebie part,

tonyg3nwl

Patricia - 2011-03-30 2:20 PM

I have stayed on this site in the past but take care as a friend witnessed many (at least 12) breakins one night when staying there.

If any were witnessed (let alone before the number reached 12) I hope that somebody did something - at least informed the wardens.

Bojitoes - 2011-03-30 9:35 PM

We loked for the Aire in Chartres last Saturday but could not find it. It is supposed to be by the campsite but we saw nothing. We decided just to look at the cathedral then move on. We could not find anywhere else locally

Bob

We used the site last year but they were having major earthworks undertaken and had a piledriver going all day and evening so we only stopped one night and left to find an Aire.

We stopped along with many other motorhomes outside the Cathedral in off road parking but beside the road the other side of the Cathederal to the site and town with a short walk through the grounds to the town.

The lights display on the buildings was quite good.

Bas

mikemelson - 2011-03-29 4:51 PM

Hi, Can anyone recommend an overnight stop in Chartres? In December, in the snow, we stayed 2 nights in a side road near the cathedral, but were told by someone that they had seen campervans parked up by the river.

If anyone out there has stayed at this place, I would grateful for any information as to the whereabouts.

Campsite located at N48.43408 E 1.49895

Aire located at N48.43268 E 1.49468

tonyg3nwl

JUst a tip for anyone staying at Les Bords :-D DONT pick a pitch near the toilet block!!!!!!! I was getting really annoyed at the banging :-S I thought someone was bouncing a ball in the hall from early morning !! I discovered what it was when I was having breakfast 8-) the door to the block is a half stable thing that BANGS like billio everytime someone goes in or out.

lennyhb - 2011-04-01 10:26 AM

We used the site last September as we couldn't find any Aire, I thought we only paid about 10€ (don't do electric) & free wifi.

It's the gravelled area the opposite side of the road to the main entrance.

You can see it on Google Maps. Looks like there's two MHs parked there.

lennyhb - 2011-04-01 10:26 AM

We used the site last September as we couldn't find any Aire, I thought we only paid about 10€ (don't do electric) & free wifi.

It's the gravelled area the opposite side of the road to the main entrance.

You can see it on Google Maps. Looks like there's two MHs parked there.

For overnighting it's ideal and for a few €€€ you can dump and refill. No point paying for facilities if you've got your own on board.

lennyhb - 2011-04-01 8:01 PM

I know where you mean now, but I didn't think it was an official Aire.

Oddly enough, have just received the new updated version of 'All the Aires France', and it doesn't list this one - I guess no-one has thought to report on it!

Nor is it listed in the Aires section of the French 'le Guide Officiel Camping & Caravanning 2010.

maggyd - 2011-04-01 4:15 PM

JUst a tip for anyone staying at Les Bords :-D DONT pick a pitch near the toilet block!!!!!!! I was getting really annoyed at the banging :-S I thought someone was bouncing a ball in the hall from early morning !! I discovered what it was when I was having breakfast 8-) the door to the block is a half stable thing that BANGS like billio everytime someone goes in or out.

Agree with that! Stayed for 1 night at the beginning of October last year, it had been raining too and many of the pitches were like a quagmire. We weren't that near the loo-block, but could still hear that banging! I thought the loo-block needed updating too, at the time of our visit they were doing some works with a digger and some of the pitches were therefore out of action. Thought that the site altogether had gone a bit downhill since our previous visit a few years earlier.

Ina.

Archived