Overnight spots in Eastbourne and Brighton

AL68

I am taking a trip down memory lane, having spent a few years living in these towns in the distant past. Anybody know of good overnight stops in or near either? I have a 6.5m long CI motorhome.

thanks in anticipation.

We go to Brighton regularly and for simplicity stay at the CC Sheepcote Valley site, not cheap, but good, safe, clean and well located. Short walk to Marina (with ASDA), ideal for cliff base walk/cycle towards Newhaven and of course, pleasant walk along to Brighton Pier, seafront and to Hove, via the Lanes etc if that appeals. Also good for bus routes, including the coastal service. Booking usually recommended.

We often see vans overnighting on Madeira Drive but we have not tried it. The parking rules there seem to have been tightened and the charging season extended in the last year or so and when we enquired of two "Green Meanies" they said they would ticket any motorhome not in a large enough on road car bay ie any that went over a white marked car bay or was in a coach bay. (Last time there were lots of travellers in caravans and trucks on Madeira Drive's coach bays but the parking attendants had been told to leave them alone.)

Bob

Thanks for information. Eventually parked on the sea front near the Wish Tower at Eastbourne. I spoke to Parking at the council who said there were no regulations about parking motorhomes overnight. The west side of town has some wide roads on the sea front and we did see another van parked. There is an off road carpark near the Wish Tower and I was told that parking overnight was ok - its expensive during the day though.

We visited Brighton but did not stay overnight but the parking department said overnight parking on the seafront to the East of the pier was ok.

I saw a van parked across two bays but there were two parking payment slips on the dashboard, ok?

AL68 - 2011-04-04 12:39 PM

Thanks for information. Eventually parked on the sea front near the Wish Tower at Eastbourne. I spoke to Parking at the council who said there were no regulations about parking motorhomes overnight. The west side of town has some wide roads on the sea front and we did see another van parked. There is an off road carpark near the Wish Tower and I was told that parking overnight was ok - its expensive during the day though.

We visited Brighton but did not stay overnight but the parking department said overnight parking on the seafront to the East of the pier was ok.

I saw a van parked across two bays but there were two parking payment slips on the dashboard, ok?

Thanks for the info on overnighting from the parking dept at Brighton, that's useful to know. As I mentioned, we asked 2 attendants on Madeira Drive and they said it was OK to pay and display if we found an on-road bay which was not sub-divided by white lines into car-sized bays, and our van fitted inside the lined bay between kerb and road. They added that if we straddled 2 car bays and bought 2 tickets they would still apply a penalty notice because we were over a white line separating the bays. Might be best to get a clear answer from the parking dept in an e-mail and keep it on board.

Bob

Archived