holiday in Picos de Europa/Pyrenees

zeddykay

I'm thinking of heading off at the end of May to the Picos mountains in N Spain and then on to the Spanish side of the Pyrenees around Torla and the Ordesa Gorge. I have a Peugeot Boxer PVC .

I'd be really grateful for any tips for the area, especially, good campsites, road conditions and comments on using Brittany Ferries from Portsmouth to Santander.

Anybody been there?

Thanks in advance

We stayed a couple of years ago on a lovely campsite in Potes camping Viorna. on the road away form the town towards Fuente De , really firendly owners, handy for a walk/cycle to town and the other way into Fuente de and some serious scenery (if you're planning on walks don't shut your OH's ankle in the electric step!!!!). We moved up to the coast at Llanes (spelling) and syayed at La Paz site. this was in september so things were quiet but i imagine this site gets heaving in the summer months. A massive site near the ports is Playa Joyel. not my cup of tea in the summer but fine at the end of the season. We drove down ansd sailed back it was ok saw a whale!! Haven't done spain before this and found roads fine. You'll get opinions on the crossings form others i expect! (lol)

If you do a search on the word " Picos " you should find a recent thread on sites in that area.

I've been to Ordesa Gorge a couple of times and stayed on a site just outside the village of Torla, behind a hotel, but unfortunately can't remember the name at the moment.

(Almost sure it was " Camping Ordesa ")

When I went you could drive up to the large car park in the Ordesa Gorge but in high season you have to get a bus from Torla.

It's been a few years since I was there so maybe someone has more up to date info.

Great walking in the gorge ! One of the best I've come across.

Have a good trip.

we have used the plymouth santander route several times, great crossing lovely ship and very ralaxing. we have also stayed on the site at potes, FANTASTIC. BE warned you do go up a narrow gorge, when we arrived there were several vans with broken mirrors.thought i was lucky but got hit by white van man going way to fast round bends on the way back!*! best advice is to try and get behind one of the many coaches while going thro gorge. it is well worth it. safe travels.

Some of the roads are used by quarry lorries and if you travel with a window down you should hear them sound their horns on the blind bends with hangovers. Don't be put off by any of this we didn't have any problems and it was well worth the drive.

Archived