Help -- Over 70's

Lovebus11

Im hoping some one can help as i can not find any information on DVLA website or the web in General.

My Dad is looking to purchase a motorhome, he has been advised that he needs to take a medical for his license as he is over 70 and the weight is over 3500kg.

Can somoeone please send me a link where i can find some more information out? or can someone just give me somemore information?

Your help would be appreciated.

He needs to check his licence. (I presume he has renewed it at 70?) We have to renew ours every three years.(being over 70) You do have to have a medical if you want to drive over 3500. Why does he need a big van anyway? There are plenty of largeish vans within the 3500 limit.

PJay

A D4 Medical Report is what's needed to retain the category C1 entitlement to drive vehicles between 3500kg and 7500kg at age 70.

This is a link to the explanatory leaflet

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_4020730.pdf

This is the actual D4 Report Form

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_4020731.pdf

AndyC

A word of warning here.

Your father appears to be already over 70.

AFAIK, unless he applied to retain the C1 licence category at 70, (which would have required a medical) he will already have lost it.

Under these circumstances it may be difficult to get it back (I'm not even sure that it is possible once relinquished).

I do hope I'm wrong, but I think you ought to check!.

Robinhood - 2011-04-04 9:43 AM

A word of warning here.

Your father appears to be already over 70.

AFAIK, unless he applied to retain the C1 licence category at 70, (which would have required a medical) he will already have lost it.

Under these circumstances it may be difficult to get it back (I'm not even sure that it is possible once relinquished).

I do hope I'm wrong, but I think you ought to check!.

I can't find the exact information at the moment but I think you have a 2 year 'grace' period, after reaching 70, during which you can get C1 reinstated with a Medical. After that you have to pass the appropriate driving test.

Andy

Archived