Insurance

p0930

My renewal notice should arrive this week. Last year I paid Saga about £280 and that included breakdown insurance for my wife and me. (sounds like health insurance). What should I be paying this year? Caravan club quoted £298 but Breakdown insurance an extra. Comfort quoted £271 with breakdown an extra over this.

p0930 - 2011-04-04 11:20 AM

Just renewed my insurance. Cheapest quote from current insurers £383 but would not cover my 39 year old son.

Comfort quote £244, with son covered, guess who got the business.

I find it amazing how one customer can be so different to another: my renewal came last week from Comfort, who I have been with for at least the last 10 years, £415 inc European breakdown cover and today after searching through the Internet I have found a quote of £240, again including the European breakdown cover, with an added benefit of £100 excess against £200. I could understand if one insurance company was particularly chasing motorhomes one year but not from one customer to the next. There is just no sense to it. When we changed our MH last summer, from a high-top to an A class I was charged an additional premium of some £140 and I thought that maybe I had been mis-quoted, especially after talking to some other companies for quotes when we visited the Shepton Mallet show but the renewal shows this wasn’t the case. Much as I liked dealing with Comfort I’m afraid I can no longer afford to, the £175 I just saved buys nearly 700 miles of diesel!!

Regards,

Hi all, like many i think they just think of a number, its a pity that insurance companys will not price insurance on the compare sites. I know that my car insurance has dropped year on year using these sites. yet motor home insurance is just pay pay and pay again. mine you have a sailing dinghy and talk about rip off insurance prices, try insuring a boat.

makes me mad. michael

Ian03/54 - 2011-04-04 10:37 PM

Just renewed my insurance. Cheapest quote from current insurers £383 but would not cover my 39 year old son.

I find it amazing how one customer can be so different to another: my renewal came last week from Comfort, who I have been with for at least the last 10 years, £415 inc European breakdown cover and today after searching through the Internet I have found a quote of £240, again including the European breakdown cover, with an added benefit of £100 excess against £200. I could understand if one insurance company was particularly chasing motorhomes one year but not from one customer to the next. There is just no sense to it. When we changed our MH last summer, from a high-top to an A class I was charged an additional premium of some £140 and I thought that maybe I had been mis-quoted, especially after talking to some other companies for quotes when we visited the Shepton Mallet show but the renewal shows this wasn’t the case. Much as I liked dealing with Comfort I’m afraid I can no longer afford to, the £175 I just saved buys nearly 700 miles of diesel!!

Regards,

Ian,

Have you got unlimited glass as your windscreen will be very expensive to replace some policy's have a limit.

Dave

johnnerontheroad - 2011-04-05 9:56 AM

Regards,

Ian,

Have you got unlimited glass as your windscreen will be very expensive to replace some policy's have a limit.

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for your comment, yes I checked that on each of the three quotes I got and went with the unlimited glass which happened to be the cheapest!

Regards,

just out of interest as i need to insure the hymer, i went on line, looked up comfort quote from them was 300 pounds. then saga quate was 194 pounds. same motorhome, same two drivers. both quotes fully comp.

it does makes one wonder. by the way axa Uk wanted over 490 pounds, yet the hymer was with them in france and we only paid 180 pounds with full breakdown and EU travel etc. the UK is a total rip off.

michael

Regards,

Do you mind sharing the details of the company who gave you the £240 policy with breakdown cover?

AL68 - 2011-04-05 12:00 PM

Do you mind sharing the details of the company who gave you the £240 policy with breakdown cover?

Not at all; it was Saga who rang the bell for me. Also it could have been even cheaper had I restricted the breakdown cover just to the UK and taken the same excess loading. If I remember correctly like for like was £215!!!! There are so many introductory discounts that prove that loyalty is now second to attracting new business. I'm not knocking Comfort, been loyal to them for years, but Aviva is just too dear for me and for once I am pleased that my age starts with a 5! ;-)

Regards,

Ian03/54 - 2011-04-05 12:19 PM

AL68 - 2011-04-05 12:00 PM

Not at all; it was Saga who rang the bell for me. Also it could have been even cheaper had I restricted the breakdown cover just to the UK and taken the same excess loading. If I remember correctly like for like was £215!!!! There are so many introductory discounts that prove that loyalty is now second to attracting new business. I'm not knocking Comfort, been loyal to them for years, but Aviva is just too dear for me and for once I am pleased that my age starts with a 5! ;-)

Regards,

Thanks a lot, wish my age began with a 5 - I have moved on to the 6s

Just renewed my insurance, tried about six other companies, some came in very cheap around £280 (my company quoted £400) but when I added all that was missing, a few were dearer, and the others were about £10 -£15 cheaper, so not really worth the hassle of sending licence details and proof of no claims, talked to the company and the knocked another £15 off the bill.

I know my premium is high, but we do park on a busy side road, so the chance of a collision or vandalism is higher.

And I have heard that caravan guard are very good when it comes to claims, hope I never find out.

Pete

breakaleg - 2011-04-05 1:10 PM

Just renewed my insurance, tried about six other companies, some came in very cheap around £280 (my company quoted £400) but when I added all that was missing, a few were dearer, and the others were about £10 -£15 cheaper, so not really worth the hassle of sending licence details and proof of no claims, talked to the company and the knocked another £15 off the bill.

I know my premium is high, but we do park on a busy side road, so the chance of a collision or vandalism is higher.

And I have heard that caravan guard are very good when it comes to claims, hope I never find out.

Pete

Hi,

Caravan Guard were one of the companies I spoke to and I was very impressed with their price, attitude and knowledgeable operator, their quote for me was within a very few quid of Saga’s. The only drawback was that they needed to know if it has a factory fitted immobilizer and I was unsure how to find out; apparently at this age it might or might not be fitted and the only sure option would be to have another system fitted at whatever cost or make assumptions which would be most foolish. Other than this, like you, I had only heard good so maybe next time when depreciation has been at work!

Regards,

Archived