What Have We Forgotten?

AndyStothert

We will shortly be leaving for a four month jaunt through Europe including Germany, Switzerland, France, Spain, Portugal and maybe, just maybe, if I can talk her into it, Scandinavia.

So far the list of things to do and take consists of Scotch, Scrabble, and the incredible Ipod. After much soul (and wallet) searching Kindles have been ruled out.

As you all know I don't do 'organised' very well, but we will probably remember the passports. The ferry, from Dover to Dunkirk was £30 (DFDS) and travel insurance for 120 days in Europe anywhere 'west of The Ural Mountains' (with health complications) came to £120 via Campton Insurance.

What else is there?

The suggestions from you experts may also help all the other chaotic sorts out there planning to do something similar. All suggestions welcome, but there is no room for a spare gearbox.

Well at least you have the Scotch! Thats the most important thing.

Hi vis jackets, must be reachable from cab area

spare bulbs

warning triangle

Spare specs if you need them (I cant believe anyone would check this)

More scotch just in case.

:-D

Aires, stellaplatz, stop over and site books.

van documents duplicated

and copies of everything else,

there was a good thread on for a sign to show if false police stopped you in spain, only a couple of pages back, not quite sure how to do the link to it.

Have a nice time. (lol)

Guest JudgeMental
for a month away I take at least 10 books so for 4 months I think a Kindle would be a necessity........ :-D

AndyStothert - 2011-04-05 11:13 AM

What else is there?

The suggestions from you experts may also help . All suggestions welcome

Squash raquet !!

We've been in Spain for 3 months and I didn't take mine. Arthur's just thrashed me. Be warned.

Allen

Thanks everyone thus far.

The German Low Emission thing is a new one on me. More research obviously needed or does it all become clear when we get there?

Marion has been hermetically sealed into a smoke-free container several weeks ago and is awaiting shipment from Glasson Dock to Dunkirk. The Hi-Vis tabbards (and warning triangles) haven't been taken out since the last trip to mainland Europe, so I presume they are still lurking in some long forgotten corner of the grunge locker or door pocket on 'her' side of the van. .

The current gearbox has done just over 25,000 miles, and without wishing to tempt fate it seems that Fiat have done enough to eliminate the prospect of burnt out clutches and ruined gearboxes on the 6 speed 2.3 litre model. The gearing is still way too high in reverse, but this seems to apply to most of the 6 speed gearbox designs in FWD vans and have had their gearboxes borrowed from related cars instead of commercial vehicles.

Compromises have to be made wth the space available, so to accommodate the crate of Talisker (scotch from Skye for the unitiated) and the cameras the only site books we were thinking of taking are the 2008 Caravan Club European site guides. That said if anyome wants to flog me an Aires guide (the genuine French Camping Car one I can't seem to find) of recent vintage let me know.

We're carrying just 16 books of a nature which both of us can read (Beano annuals mainly) and hope to swap them along the way.

The biggest quandary is maps - is there a really good European Atlas that anyone knows of? About 10 miles to the inch minimum scale. The ones I've inspected and used before are frankly, rubbish.

I like maps, so the satnav, which is still also lurking somewhere unloved and completely unused will probably be left in Leyland.

There must be loads of other vital stuff I haven't even considered.? This seems too simple.

Ferry Tickets

Laptop - somewhere to store all the photo's

Various Electrical HU connectors - guess you will not use limited facility sites every night.

various Gas Regulators / connectors & Bottles - for the different countries.

Oh - Fags for Marion - if going to Scandinavia & an Ash Tray ;-) ;-)

Guest 1footinthegrave

The book, "Go Motorhoming Europe. Written by an extensive Motor-home traveller, it is my bible, everything under the sun covered all in one handy paperback, and more.

Oh and you really should get friendly with your satnav if it has European maps.

Never ever seen the point of phrase books, If I cannot understand the question, how will I understand the answer.

https://www.vicarious-shop.com/Go-Motorhoming-Europe.html ;-)

AndyStothert - 2011-04-05 8:49 PM

The German Low Emission thing is a new one on me. More research obviously needed or does it all become clear when we get there?

You may be able to escape without an Umweltplakette, which is your passport to entering restricted Emissions zones, but for the price, it's probably not worth chancing it, especially as the restrictions are spreading..

You can obtain a sticker and paperwork at cost in Germany (TUV station or vehicle main dealer), or, for convenience and around the same price (the princely sum of 6 euros - payable by credit card) you can get one sent to you in advance from the Berlin City authorities (valid throughout Germany) if you use their website, scan the V5C for your vehicle, and attach it to an noline request.

The online application is at:

https://www.berlin.de/labo/kfz/dienstleistungen/feinstaubplakette.shop.en.php

....and from memory of your 'van, you should be eligible for a Green sticker - which gives access in all zones.

Further details and references can be found on the following thread:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=22431&posts=12

Binoculars - Spare inner tubes for the bikes - umbrella - tea bags - phrase books for the countries visiting - cosh - cs spray (to ward off ne'er do wells). After my helpful post....I'm off to 'Bedfordshire'. Nite !

oo'er I've gone all faint!

Robinhood - 2011-04-05 10:43 PM

AndyStothert - 2011-04-05 8:49 PM

You may be able to escape without an Umweltplakette, which is your passport to entering restricted Emissions zones, but for the price, it's probably not worth chancing it, especially as the restrictions are spreading..

You can obtain a sticker and paperwork at cost in Germany (TUV station or vehicle main dealer), or, for convenience and around the same price (the princely sum of 6 euros - payable by credit card) you can get one sent to you in advance from the Berlin City authorities (valid throughout Germany) if you use their website, scan the V5C for your vehicle, and attach it to an noline request.

The online application is at:

https://www.berlin.de/labo/kfz/dienstleistungen/feinstaubplakette.shop.en.php

....and from memory of your 'van, you should be eligible for a Green sticker - which gives access in all zones.

Further details and references can be found on the following thread:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=22431&posts=12

Strongly agree, I got mine from the Berlin website to which Robinhood refers and it was very efficently done. Getting it in advance was worth it for the peace of mind of knowing I could not fall foul of the zones and collect a fine.

Bob

For maps load Autoroute onto your laptop, not only have you got full European mapping but also street level mapping of all towns. If you don't like using the satnav abroad for 20 quid you can get a GPS receiver for the laptop it allows Autoroute to be used as a satnav but more importantly you can fire it up when you are lost and be lost and know where you are. (lol)

Archived