New Look

mondo

There is a good maxim: 'If it ain't broke; don't fix it'. and this wasn't 'broke'. It is just dreadful: hard to read, glaring, too bright background: have headache already. Every forum that I have used that has been 'improved' is always worse afterwards. I just don't know where they get these people from ..............

Harvey

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I too find the text very faint particularily when typing a reply, can hardly read what I am writing here (should have brought me specs to the office) I think that this needs sorting out pretty quick or specsavers will make a fortune out of us. :-D

Guest ChrisB

I like the "cleaner" look of the new website.

I also echo the comments made by several members with regard to readability of the forum content.

Why am I currently typing in a grey font on a pale blue background in such a small font . I have no problem with the font itself but it should be size 4 at least (12 point) by default. No-one wants to use HTML coding to make it readable or use browser zoom functions. I suspect the editing function is virtually impossible to use with the small screens on smartphones, ipads etc (wouldn't know because I don't have one - but many of the younger/more mobile members probably do and might wish to comment)

I too find green on grey/blue difficult to read (for poster's identity).

In the postings summary listings a line separating each post would be useful (and not difficult to implement).

As a footnote I frequently access website concerned with disability issues. I think without exception they all have the facility to change font sizes/colours/background built in (usually via buttons - see example below). Individuals can then tailor the screens to suit their particular needs (often saved in a "cookie" for the website.

I have noticed that this is also becoming more common with "commercial" websites.

Is it a requirement under the updated "equality" legislation requiring equal access for all?

Chris

readability.jpg.06059092e21d8cf674757bcead3918bf.jpg

Guest ChrisB

Error 500

Although I just received an error whilst posting the above response (see below) I thought I would check first as there have been many instances of "double posting" in the past. so did not do as suggested (back and re-submit).

Incidentally for some reason this posting reply is black (not grey) on white text.

Edit:

Got the same error again in posting this error message - but once again looks OK

Edit #2

Could we do this before?

Apologies for the "wide" image - it seems to bring up a scroll bar on the bottom of the page.

Well below the 100kB limit.

I know this has happened to others in the past with very wide images which can ruin the screen layout. Surely it's technically possible to automatically re-size the image (as a percentage rather than absolute size) to fit the reading window?

Alternatively re-size when uploading so that the unwary with larger images (>100kB) are not caught out?

Just a thought..

oops.jpg.59643235b233ca089b52715fec6a45ae.jpg

Yep they defiantly listening the reply box is now black, keep it up guys and you will get there.

I've had the server error too but still posts OK, used to get it occasionally on the old version appears to be more frequent in the new format.

Morning all

We're running around trying to make the site even better today, so do bear with us :)

Here's the changes we've made with the forums so far:

• Uploading images caused the server error you ChrisB saw above is now fixed

• Preview buttons is back and working
  • Fontsize has gone up a touch
  • Laid out the buttons on the left so that we have more width for messages
  • Got rid of that green on blue text
  • Made the colour of the text in the input boxes black :)
  • Images over ~580 pixels wide get resized

Brambles - don't know what's causing your issue, I can't reproduce the problem myself. Is anyone else experiencing this?

We're still working on posting speed, will let you all know!

Not sure about the colours, greys and blues, all a bit insipid and not so distinct. However I do like all the adverts down the right hand side. I usually keep my favourites 'pinned' on the left column and now I can see all the topics and don,t see any adverts. (Wonder how long that will last when they realise.

Guest ChrisB
ChrisB - 2011-04-06 10:02 AM

Error 500

Although I just received an error whilst posting the above response (see below) I thought I would check first as there have been many instances of "double posting" in the past. so did not do as suggested (back and re-submit).

Incidentally for some reason this posting reply is black (not grey) on white text.

Edit:

Got the same error again in posting this error message - but once again looks OK

Edit #2

Could we do this before?

Apologies for the "wide" image - it seems to bring up a scroll bar on the bottom of the page.

Well below the 100kB limit.

I know this has happened to others in the past with very wide images which can ruin the screen layout. Surely it's technically possible to automatically re-size the image (as a percentage rather than absolute size) to fit the reading window?

Alternatively re-size when uploading so that the unwary with larger images (>100kB) are not caught out?

Just a thought..

Impressive - I see that the image has now been re-sized. Nice to know someone is listening and acting so swiftly - not easy whilst the site is "live".

I've answered my question in Edit#2

Tried to include the above in Edit#3 but there is a 30min time "window" to make edits (presumably as many as you wish within this timeframe?).

Guest JudgeMental
Basil - 2011-04-05 11:05 PM

Not sure why yet, but I am finding it VERY difficult to read. the text seems harder to read and I am colour blind so that doesn't help, having all colours blending in the same makes it hard to see for me.

Where is the Preview button?

Bas

have to agree! my eyes are not that good and this pale shading is hopeless!!

very of putting........ *-)

Guest pelmetman
Just one suggestion :D ...............On some of the other forums we use there is a button that takes you straight to the last post on a thread, saves having to scroll all the way to the bottom of a page :D ...............

pelmetman - 2011-04-06 12:36 PM Just one suggestion :D ...............On some of the other forums we use there is a button that takes you straight to the last post on a thread, saves having to scroll all the way to the bottom of a page :D ...............

Dave, just click onto the Thread title on the right that is in green at the moment. That takes you to the last post.

Dave

Hi David what is the problem with the page width the first page of the New look thread is ok but the second page it is too wide I only get 1/2 the reply button on the screen and have to move over to see the rest of the right hand side of the page

Alf

Sorry to be negative but web designers should be aware that according to most statistics, color blindness is a problem for 8 to 12% of males of European origin and about half a percent of females. One combination of colours that often causes problems is black on blue and of course greens and reds. Unfortunately despite plenty of guidance being available on the subject unless the web site has to be validated for accessibility then this is often not taken into consideration. Can be a problem when corporate colours, such as blue, are chosen causing all sorts of problems for those trying to ensure equality of access for all.

But hey not my problem any more. :-)  

PS Just found a preview button????

Guest pelmetman
nowtelse2do - 2011-04-06 12:54 PM

Dave, just click onto the Thread title on the right that is in green at the moment. That takes you to the last post.

Dave

Tried that Dave :-S ...........but it still just brings up the whole page :D

Archived