Garmin release Lorry/towing sat nav

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

this may be of interst to those with bigger rigs and high top campers.... :-D

It gives height information etc.... looks really good, shame I just got a new one! *-)

http://gbr.garmin.com/dezl/?utm_source=garmin&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20110405%2B-%2BAutomotive%2BApril%2BeShot&utm_campaign=20110405%2B-%2BAutomotive%2BApril%2BeShot&utm_source=emailCampaign&utm_medium=email

JudgeMental - 2011-04-06 12:21 PM

this may be of interst to those with bigger rigs and high top campers.... :-D

It gives height information etc.... looks really good, shame I just got a new one! *-)

http://gbr.garmin.com/dezl/?utm_source=garmin&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20110405%2B-%2BAutomotive%2BApril%2BeShot&utm_campaign=20110405%2B-%2BAutomotive%2BApril%2BeShot&utm_source=emailCampaign&utm_medium=email

I have looked at this device. Its potential looks promising. However I got caught by Garmin's promises with the Nuvi 5000. This was supposedly specified for Trucks and RVs. The only difference I could find in use was the 5" screen. When you select the truck option, all it did was put a truck as the pointer instead of the default triangle on the map display.

We pre-ordered and paid up front for the Nuvi 5000. It didn't arrive as promised and when we chased it up, the price had dropped by hundreds not just a few pounds. We got a refund but could have paid through the nose if it had actually arrived as promised.

I would like this unit, but I would not now rush in and buy until I could get my hands on it and try the promised features. If you order as soon as or just before it is released you could well get stung by the price falling after release.

onecal vw - 2011-04-06 1:11 PM

Tom Tom can do this as well. You can down load any icon even a pic of your own Motorhome so you don't have to look at a silly triangle. You should be able to do it with garmin as you can with Tom Tom

Regards,

Brendan

The point I was making was that it was only a picture of a truck. It was no more specific than any other Garmin at the time.

You can download many Icons from the Garmin site like Tom Tom, but the unit was sold as Truck and RV specific and it wasn't.

It is a great unit for normal navigation but has no concept that I am a Motorhome, not a Motor Cycle and will try to take me" off road" dispite this option being disengaged.

It asked me to "navigate off road" in Caregena last month when it directed me to the end of a pier. The point I wanted was on the opposite shore of the harbour entrance.

Guest JudgeMental
This new unit has TRUCK, MOTORHOME & CAR settings so I think it is more what people have been waiting for......you can input length, width, weight and hight. I think it looks excellent on the demo just a shame I got a new one recently *-)

it looks like it only warns you of upcoming hazards and tells you to divert. the snooper satnav actualy plans the route using your own parameters ie height width lenght and weight which seems a better option (?) it also warns you of sharp bends and is preloaded with cc ccc and acsi :-S

Sorry John,

Yes I understand but I think you can input size into your sat nav, you can on the Tom Tom so surly on Garmin. Your exploits around south of San Javier is common on a lot of sat nav's. John it just proves you cant beat the human touch.

You are right it does pay to wait before you buy,

Regards,

Brendan

So far as I know, there are only two providers of electronic mapping for Europe, Teleatlas (owned by TomTom) and Navteq (owned by Nokia).  What you need to check is whether the mapping now carries information on road widths.  Last time I enquired, both said it didn't. 

These devices will route you to avoid mapped restrictions on weight or width (where these have been mapped - AFAIK they have not yet for all countries, though UK, and I think Germany, were fully covered with others part covered, or not covered at all), and should avoid low bridges where the entered vehicle parameters exceed available clearances.  However, so far as I know, none yet has the ability to avoid narrow roads that are not width restricted.

So, rule No 1: check thoroughly what is actually on offer, before paying a premium for something you hope to rely on.

Archived