Camos Problem

scramblers

We have just returned from a beautiful 4 week tour of Scotland :-D and during the tour the Camos automatic satellite dome developed a problem :'( - it couldn't or wouldn't find any satellites!

Before I ascend to the motorhome roof to remove the cover, could anybody help? Is there a website that I could download a schematic or maintenance diagram of the Camos? Has anybody had a similar problem?

My Camos system was still under warranty when I bought the van secondhand in 2008, but I assumed I just hadn't fathomed how it was really supposed to work. Andy from Roadpro was prepared to drive to me and sort it out, but I would have felt guilty if it had been a loose wire or suchlike. Fast forward three years and I'm pretty sure there's a fundamental fault in the system, and it has nothing to do with the wiring.

I've been places where there were no buildings or trees to obscure the view, but still couldn't get the Camos to lock onto anything. All I could hear was the interminable whirring on the roof.

However, worse than that is when there's no whirring at all, when the electronics just don't kick in and seek the chosen satellite. I've many times checked wiring and connections, then gone to bed, only to find that the next morning, the Camos behaved as it should.

With mine, the fault seems to lie with the controller, because that's the only variable in the system, everything else being fixed. I have no magic technique other than to switch the controller off, then straight back on again, and hold down the on/off button, until I hear the satellite search begin. I may have to do this many times before anything happens.

I've been somewhat lax in getting this sorted out, simply because so little telly is watched in the van. With hindsight I should have treated this like a dodgy computer and had it repaired under warranty, instead of mucking about so much. I've since read of others having similar problems with their Camos controller.

Shaun

Thanks for all your comments.

Yesterday, before I got out the ladders and kneeling boards to work on the top of my motorhome, I thought I would give it one more go. Guess what, it works perfectly!!

I just hope it was a one off glitch rather than an intermitant fault. Only time will tell.

Hello John,

Sounds like a possible misaligned LNB to me. Your best bet is to visit us in Daventry - not far - and we can check it out for you and, if there is a problem, fix it. Do please get in touch and make an appoointment though!

RoadProAndy from RoadPro.

RoadProAndy - 2011-04-20 5:24 PM

Hello John,

Sounds like a possible misaligned LNB to me. Your best bet is to visit us in Daventry - not far - and we can check it out for you and, if there is a problem, fix it. Do please get in touch and make an appoointment though!

Hi Andy,

Telephoned Mark today and made an appointment for 3 May.

• 2 weeks later...
scramblers - 2011-04-21 6:41 PM

RoadProAndy - 2011-04-20 5:24 PM

Hello John,

Hi Andy,

Telephoned Mark today and made an appointment for 3 May.

Mark took a look at the Camos. Inside the dome, the dish and rotating mechanism are mounted on a square metal plate which is fixed into the dome by four nuts and bolts. Three were missing!

Another item to add to my annual motorhome maintainance check list.

fjmike - 2011-05-06 8:56 PM

Glad you have sorted this out. any idea if this is a common problem????

On my previous van I had a Camos Dome fitted retrospectively by VanBitz at Taunton. Last year I changed my van but i received an Email from vanBitz (who would not have known that I had replaced the van) who stated that their had been reports from other owners of such a problem. They were offering a free check and if a problem was found they would put it right, again free of charge.

Got a Camos Dome on the new Van, no problems so far with it. Toured North & East Scotland for a month last year all the way up to Dunnet Bay, only experienced two occasions when we couldnt get a signal on the Satelite, once in a forest and another when we were directly in line of a tree, on that ocasion we switched to the Digital 'Status' TV ariel and got a picture but only the main terrestial channels.

Archived