Santander to Seville advice

TonyHilary

Hi , We'll shortly be off to Spain travelling from Santander to Seville [keeping west of and avoiding Madrid] then Cordoba and back North probably inland of the costas to France as a' loop'

. As relative virgins to Spain any tips on....... what not to miss.../ ..which campsites.../..where to stay around the cities [seville/cordoba ].../..whether to head into Portugal for some not to miss site/scenery would be eagerly appreciated.

Although weve obviously got guide books, there's no substitute for an experienced guiding hand! So thanks in anticipation. Also we have e-bikes as we are both not in the best of health and longer walks not possible, and a very understanding old dog!!!

Cheers Tony B-)

Hi

The caravan Club european sites book has been a reliable guide for us. We don't really plan forward but see where we get by early afternoon then look in the book for a site..

If taking you dog remember heart worm tablets etc - we took our black lab down there a couple of years back - we used to walk her in the mornings then leave her in the Motorhome which i would park in the shade - it was cooler that way - most sites were helpful when i explained i needed a shady pitch and why.

Found a good municipal site in Cordoba (its in the CC book), walking distance from town and lots of shade.

We are also heading down Seville way at end of April from Bilbao; then hope to swing North back up to Green Spain - perhaps into portugal perhaps not.

There is a big fiesta in Seville 2 may for a week so i am wondering about availability at sites in that area. The problem if sites are busy with locals is they never seem to go to bed until the early hours! I know it the spanish way of life but i need my sleep!

Have a good trip

Peter

Hi,

For Saville you can stay at Dos hermanas and catch the commuter train in

There is an exellent new stop over site just north if salamanca called www.campingolimpia.com

juntion 225 and 300yds off the motorway 15 euro and exellent meal for 9 euro

Richard

Hi, Depending how far west of Madrid you're planning to go, Salamanca is well worth seeing (Rego camping with bus to city centre). Caceres also makes a worthwhile stop. There's a nice municipal site (Caceres Camping) where each pitch has its own individual bathroom! Short bus ride into town. Located next to the Principe Felipe football stadium on N521 to west of town. If you go into town ignore the camping signs which were wildly misleading when I was there last.

Also an aire in the Valhondo area of Caceres is supposed to be good, but not tried it yet.

Dos Hermanas at Seville also has nearby bus to main tourist area.

If you're in that part of Spain, a detour to see some of the Portuguese hill towns would be good - Marvao, Monsanto, Castelo Blanco ...

Have a good trip!

Chris

w1ntersun - 2011-04-19 8:46 AM

Hi,

There is an exellent new stop over site just north if salamanca called www.campingolimpia.com

juntion 225 and 300yds off the motorway 15 euro and exellent meal for 9 euro

Richard

Must admit this is a beautiful site with about 24 piches and immaculatly kept. We stayed there in February on our way back from Portugal.

Hi, Thats really great...many thanks indeed!

Also I wonder what you all think about an emergency unplanned stopover on a service area? I know this has been raised before, but in France if we cant get to [due to out of season,say, ] or are too late for a site due to needing to cover long distances, we've stopped near to lorries etc at a service aire.

Safety matters aside, is this acceptable in Spain, since wild camping is frowned upon. I anticipate not always finding a convenient site this time of year in the out of the way areas planned.

Any thoughts welcome, Thanks Tony

Archived