colmar-alsace

bazooka

I don't know about Colmar or Heidelberg but I know that my 15 year old son found Heidelberg impressive (some years ago).

You may not be aware of low emission zones in Germany but below is a link.

http://www.lowemissionzones.eu/content/view/63/90/lang,en/

I also have a copy of someone elses letter requesting an unwelt sticker for their motorhome if you would like it.

Hi bazooka, You could easily pass Colmar if you just looked at the outskirts, but it is a old and lovely city once you get inside, worth visiting.

There are good views from the castle looking down onto the river Necker at Heidelberg, the town itself is nice but not what I expected, Basically one long back street full of shop's and lot's of students who weren't to well mannered IMO. We stayed further up the river at Neckargemund, the site was owned or run by a Dutch couple. The site itself was OK but a bit over crowded in the high season, We caught the bus down to Heidelberg but came back on the river bus which was cheap and very nice. Would go again if in the area.

If you are going to Annecy, which direction are you coming from. It seems a big diversion you are doing unless you are following the Rhine

Dave

Colmar is well worth the visit - a smallish town easy to get around with lovely old half timbered houses, good location, & good bars/restaurants. Was there for a night last year. Will defintely return.

Heidleberg is big & spread out.

Jeremy( A L'AimeDuck)

Solwaybuggier - 2011-04-25 8:22 PM

I think so - Colmar is beautiful, as are a lot of the surrounding villages (Riquewihr, Kaysersberg, Eguisheim) - but it depends what you like, I guess.

Totally agree. Stayed at a lovely site in Eguisheim [Les 3 Chateaux] recently. Easy drive into Colmar and a good bus service.

[Agree Colmar is pleasant but if just visiting one place in Alsace would go to Riquewihr. It is smaller but unlike a lot of old towns is not surrounded by a more modern exterior, the whole place is old and worth a look. Their is an aire but would stay at ACSI site just outside the town.

Got back from Annecy 2 days ago, had a wonderful holiday. :-D :-D

Have done Colmar before and agree it is stunning.

We stayed at quite a few Aires and a couple of sites on way down and back if you need any suggestions.

One of the best sites we stayed on was on the banks of Lac de Annecy, stunning views on waters edge with excellent facilities.

Have a great time

Mandy

Archived