Breakdown cover

macca59

We use Britannia Rescue. Outstanding service when we called them out. They spent over two hours re-wiring one of my rear light clusters to make me road legal. 'Which' recommended. I heard a rumour they no longer cover motorhomes but their policy conditions state:

"Motorhomes – must not be more than 8 metres in length or a weight when fully loaded not exceeding 7.5 tonnes and must be a recognised make and model which has been coach-built for that precise purpose. We will only cover vehicles over these limits if we have specifically agreed this with you, before your cover began.

If appropriate you must always carry a legal and serviceable spare wheel or a manufacturer supplied or approved emergency tyre inflation kit or equipment and keys for any tyre security devices."

We get our cover through the CSMA. My wife and son have their cars covered by them.

CC Green Flag - excellent service. No size restrictions. For an extra fee you can also cover a 2nd vehicle at the same address. Whenever we or our daughter have used Green Flag the service has been prompt and efficient. After the "incident" a pre-paid comment card is provided so that the customer can give feedback.

tonyishuk - 2011-04-26 8:36 PM

We have gone down the Caravan Club route using Green flag in the UK and Red Pennant in the EU.

May be more expensive than some, but reported to be good, reliable and works when it needs to !

Regards

Always used to use Red Flag but they have age restrictions at 10years where it makes the cost even more prohibitive plus they will not cover any vehicle 15 years or over.

We changed to Britania Rescue due to this as they have no age limits at all and cover for motorhomes as already mentioned in an earlier post. As far as I know there is no change to the cover for motorhomes and it is still in the sample policy booklet on the Britannia Rescue website. Also don't forget for those that are eligable for CSMA the cost of BR is very inexpensive even for full Europe cover.

Bas

we are about to renew our insurance with comfort they are offering breakdown cover with the RAC for just under £60 with the policy not sure at this point what that includes or how good the RAC are with Motorhome cover. Has anyone had any expirience with the RAC

The Macs

Guest 1footinthegrave
I'm sure all will agree the main stream ones are much of a muchness, however you have not said what level of cover you have been quoted for, are you planning to go to Europe, if so that quote sounds likely to be a very basic level of cover, if indeed it covers Europe at all. My advice is to be absolutely sure they are quoting for full recovery back to your home be it UK or Europe, both for you and your vehicle, anything less with a M/home is just a load of hassle. We personally have the AA, but as mentioned earlier is included with our fully comp policy, the cost of which this year is £289 ( Safeguard, part of Swinton group) including full b/down cover ;-)

Archived