brake adjustment

How Much

Ive a 2 litre Boxer coachbuilt van, 6 years old. Ive got one of the brake drums just a bit tighter than it should be. Is there any way of slackening the handbrake/shoes on one side without having the take the drum off?

I know there could be crap etc in there thats causing it to rub, but id rather try winding it off a tad first to see if it cures it.

hi, not sure re the boxer, but if you look behind the hub, if there is a ajustment bolt it will be there, if you are still unsure, take it in to kwik fit and have them check the brakes over, its free and have a look inside the hub. just don,t be taken in my the sales talk.

michael

How Much??????? - 2011-04-26 7:44 AM

Ive a 2 litre Boxer coachbuilt van, 6 years old. Ive got one of the brake drums just a bit tighter than it should be. Is there any way of slackening the handbrake/shoes on one side without having the take the drum off?

I know there could be crap etc in there thats causing it to rub, but id rather try winding it off a tad first to see if it cures it.

Chances are the wheel cylinder is siezing up a bit holding on the shoes. The self adjuster inside the drum acts for both the wheel cylinder and the handbrake and it is very unusual for a handbrake cable to go tight, they usually loosen off very slighty if anything or the cable siezes in the outer. Check it s moving freely in the cable but only sure way is to remove the drum. My finger would be on the wheel cylinder siezing or handbrake cable siezing, and not an adjustment required.

Cheers for the suggestions. Ive whipped the drum off, and it is indeed the brake pistons not retracting fully. Im not playing with it myself in case things go pear-shaped. Ive put it back together, and will take it to the shop that does all my repairs asap.

Archived