"Standby" dinners

Gwendolyn

Calling on the expertise / inventiveness / culinary skills / imagination of all campers / caravanners / motorhomers….. what do you have as a standby dinner when you arrive late / are too tired / it’s out of season and site shops, restos are closed / you haven’t stopped to shop / you feel too lazy to go off site …..

One month into our 3 month trip, I am beginning to feel that my usual repertoire will start to pall.

Ideas please?????? All recipes will be gratefully received.

Guest Tracker

We are far too organised to ever need standby meals!

Yeah - right!

However, various adaptations of cheese on toast, big soup / beans / spaghetti / sardines and toast, or any convenient tinned meat and noodles or pasta, are all quick and simple and are generally carried in the spare tin/packet food box.

Quick and simple and predictable is good enough when we are tired and in no mood to experiment!

Oh what exciting lives we do lead!

Guest pelmetman

We always carry a few tins for just such situations, along with several half pound portions of mince in our small freezer compartment :D.......................I can knock up loads of meals with mince from spag bol to my "BBQ Special" of Stilton burgers B-)

We also find those part cooked rolls & baguettes very useful, especially if you slice them and cook as fried bread, excellent in the full English :->

Guest peter
We usually go foraging in the hedgerows etc. You never know what treats you may find. Then there is the bonus meal of a bit of roadkill, hedgehog-badger-fox and if you're really lucky a nice little muntjack deer, or maybe a nice bit of juicy tender cat, Mmm loverly. :D

if we know we will arrive late, which is most times. We (well mrs ips) makes summat in the slow cooker, curry, casserole or some morrocon thing etc then we just plug it in for 20 mins when we get there. Or if we are not on HU then we plug it into inverter whilst travelling then its ready as soon as we get there.

And allways make sure you have a packet of smash some beens and a tin of stewing steak at the back of the cupboard just in case the bone idle G** (I meen the mrs) cant be bothered to make something. :-D

Now I'm salivating at the prospect of dead cat and chips with a cup-a-soup starter...

HMMM … suddenly my standby dinner of a sachet of passata with olives, any other veg we have to hand stirred in, on pasta, with rocket and cheese doesn't seem half so bad.

We haven’t got a freezer either…..

And yes, if we know we are going to be late, we prepare.... it's really when the lateness is not planned... or more likely, that we have been too lazy to shop is when I need some more inspiration.

Omelettes tonight…. Been too lazy again…. But we didn’t come across any road kill – alas!

[Although we were offered a “plate of Alsatian” in a restaurant in Alsace! We didn’t try it!]

Further to my earlier recipe of (cup-a soup's.) We always have eggs and bread with us. Four quick dishes here, scrambled, boiled, fried or porsched (spelt correct as I eat very fast) with a side plate of toast, (that bit is posh init, side plate :-D ) There is a warning here though, I'm assuming this meal is if you arrive late and you need a quickie 8-) MEAL...!!!! when retiring to bed not long after and with the possibility of sleeping in a double sleeping bag. Make sure you have the zip on your side :D :D

Dave

Guest pelmetman

Sounds like from the previous posts you have not got the hang of proper campervaning :D ......................You all seem to be in a rush to get somewhere 8-)

For me it starts when I turn the key :D ......................and the interesting bit is what happens in the middle ;-) until we get home then its just another nice memory B-) ...........and then we look forward to the next trip ;-) ..........................................................................Dont bother planning just do it.............. (lol)

Guest Tracker

A plan Dave? What's a plan? Never use one!

And that's why we often say - well I never knew we were gonna end up here tonight - whenever we end up somewhere completely different and a quick meal is needed!

The joy of motorhoming is to wander off in any direction and to be flexible enough to cope with and adapt and enjoy the experiences.

Anyone can sit on a site doing nowt and if that was our 'thing' then we can stay at home and sit in the garden for FREE rather than spend hundreds of squids wandering around Europe on a whim!

Guest JudgeMental
malc d - 2011-04-27 8:14 PM

Something from an M & S can.

;-)

exactly...or a tin of soup and a sandwich or maybe some noddles...Life is to short

Guest pelmetman
JudgeMental - 2011-04-28 3:17 PM

exactly...or a tin of soup and a sandwich or maybe some noddles...Life is to short

Horses's for courses............. but, I luv my grub and now I know how to cook it, why buy expensive nosh when I can knock up sumfink better from what we have onboard in 20 mins :D

Guest pelmetman
JudgeMental - 2011-04-28 11:04 PM

"knock up in 20 mins"

I'll stick with restaurants thanks :-D

When we were in the money we use to eat out several times a week :D .............partly because we used to work 7 days and often late so we did not get to the resturant to almost closing time *-)

Now I prefer to have the time to cook my own grub, had a bit of Duck tonight on the BBQ B-)

pelmetman - 2011-04-28 11:31 PM

JudgeMental - 2011-04-28 11:04 PM

"knock up in 20 mins"

I'll stick with restaurants thanks :-D

did not get to the resturant to almost closing time *-)

After the the cheap scraps eh Dave. (lol) Can hear it now......Anything left (?) (lol)

Dave

Guest pelmetman
nowtelse2do - 2011-04-28 11:37 PM

After the the cheap scraps eh Dave. (lol) Can hear it now......Anything left (?) (lol)

Dave

I'll have you know we were on first name terms down at our local resturants :D ................Nuffink was to much trouble......................we even used get a Christmas card (lol)

Guest pelmetman
pelmetman - 2011-04-28 11:48 PM

nowtelse2do - 2011-04-28 11:37 PM

Dave

I'll have you know we were on first name terms down at our local resturants :D ................Nuffink was to much trouble......................we even used get a Christmas card (lol)

But when we are in France I like to find resturants/cafes, the ones that are full of locals, as that is where you get the best grub at the best price :-D

Our speciality is corn beef or marmalade sarnies. Mind you our sarnies are made with home made wholemeal bread made with 5 different kinds of seeds, cold pressed flax seed oil and honey, and the marmalade is home made lemon and ginger made with 25% of the sugar replaced by a strong honey. Very refreshing after a long hot journey.

Having read that lot, Gwen, and with all due respect, I think the greater pleasure, as with most things in life, is to be gained from a bit more pre-planning!  Chance finds as you go, like discovery learning, are about what you merely stumble upon, rather than what you could have seen had you prepared.  You are eternally condemned to discover, at some later date, what you missed!  So, late arrival (accidents etc excepted) is a consequence of underestimated journey times, and failing to shop en-route, a consequence of failing to pre-locate the supermarkets you could easily have passed as you travelled.  (BTW, a full stock up takes about an hour and a half in France, an hour for the shopping, and half an hour for the queue at the check out! :-))

Use something like Autoroute to plan the journey, then you get an idea of when to start, how far to go, and when to stop.  Failing that, just set an end of day time, stop then, and sort out the nearest stopover.  If using a sat nav, there are literally thousands of downloadable POIs of aires, campsites, and supermarkets, so simply stop and interrogate the machine for the nearest.  No need to arrive late, or with inadequate provisions, ever!  Simples.  Keep truckin'!

Brian Kirby - 2011-04-29 5:24 PM

Having read that lot, Gwen, and with all due respect, I think the greater pleasure, as with most things in life, is to be gained from a bit more pre-planning!  Chance finds as you go, like discovery learning, are about what you merely stumble upon, rather than what you could have seen had you prepared.  You are eternally condemned to discover, at some later date, what you missed!  So, late arrival (accidents etc excepted) is a consequence of underestimated journey times, and failing to shop en-route, a consequence of failing to pre-locate the supermarkets you could easily have passed as you travelled.  (BTW, a full stock up takes about an hour and a half in France, an hour for the shopping, and half an hour for the queue at the check out! :-))

Use something like Autoroute to plan the journey, then you get an idea of when to start, how far to go, and when to stop.  Failing that, just set an end of day time, stop then, and sort out the nearest stopover.  If using a sat nav, there are literally thousands of downloadable POIs of aires, campsites, and supermarkets, so simply stop and interrogate the machine for the nearest.  No need to arrive late, or with inadequate provisions, ever!  Simples.  Keep truckin'!

Well it was meant to be a bit of light hearted fun!In truth, I am a compulsive planner.... I do have a certain number of recipes, tried and tested, and all ingredients packed, and replaced once used ... I suppose I was searching for some inspiration so that I can add to the 'repertoire'.Perhaps I should try on the Masterchef thread????

Archived