Boulogne Overnight

kelly58

We are off to France on Saturday via Eurotunnel and usually overnight at Le-Portel , but the other week when we were there the barrier  machine would not take any of my Nationwide Cards " VISA ", so this time I thought we might overnight somewhere in Boulogne.There used to allow parking behind the Marine Centre ,but I seem to remember this has been stopped , has anyone any recomendations for overnight in Boulogne ? Thanks.

Hi Kelly, when we cross evening time our first overnight is the aire bay de la somme service station the one with the viewing platform (i think thats right) they have an aire, and a carpark for caravans, we usually stay in the carpark, about 60k from tunnel, have done for last five years no problems,

have a nice trip

snail

We usually stop at the Auchan Supermarket car park.

If you park near McDonald's, you can get hi fi and we have found it to be safe, as there are people around most of the night delivering to the supermarket.

There is a bourne at the Auchan petrol station also.

Have a good trip

Alan

Of ones mentioned so far can only comment on Equihen-Plage, as don't stay on service areas or supermarket car parks. Equihen-plage aire is fine, with nice sea views although there is not a lot in the village itself.

When using the tunnel we often stay on the private aire at Ferme Magasin Cap Nature at Audinghen. This is free to stay with charges for water and hook-ups if required. It is very safe, in court yard, with wi-fi from adjacent bistro (this serves good food; a nice way to start your trip)

Regarding Boulongne then my French friends tell me an aire has now opened on the coast road as you drop down into the town on the Route de Wimereux (L'aire de Moulin Wilbert) It is about 10 min walk from centre or a 1€ bus ride, and cost is around 7€/night by credit card barrier. Have not seen this aire yet so can not comment on it. Has any one stayed on it?

kelly58 - 2011-04-28 9:03 AM

We are off to France on Saturday via Eurotunnel and usually overnight at Le-Portel , but the other week when we were there the barrier  machine would not take any of my Nationwide Cards " VISA ", so this time I thought we might overnight somewhere in Boulogne.There used to allow parking behind the Marine Centre ,but I seem to remember this has been stopped , has anyone any recomendations for overnight in Boulogne ? Thanks.

When we were there last summer it was not a problem of not accepting the card of any particular bank. A German couple in front of us also had problems.

It turned out to be the users that were the problem, not the card.

The machine was refusing to accept any card and open the barrier because it's counters said it was full. In fact is was less than half full. Motorhomes were coming in but tail-ending others out so the machine was not counting them as going out. A van came out and we then managed to get in.

alan w - 2011-04-28 8:01 PM

We usually stop at the Auchan Supermarket car park.

If you park near McDonald's, you can get hi fi and we have found it to be safe, as there are people around most of the night delivering to the supermarket.

There is a bourne at the Auchan petrol station also.

Have a good trip

Alan

We use there to. Very handy.

• 3 weeks later...
We stopped at the Auchan at Boulogne St Martin which was really quite and parked in the corner where the bus parking is, also had a good fill of diesel @ 1.32e pltr , the best price we got diesel was at an Esso at Donzere @1.25e pltr . On the last night we stopped at Arques which is still only 2e and the parking area was full the most I have seen there in all the times we have stopped there ,diesel at the Carrefour in Arques was 1.30e pltr.

Last year we stopped at Cape Gris-Nez, with 3 other vans in the bus parking area & the local bread van came round in the morning.

Stopped in an Auchan car park once, never again kept awake all night by delivery lorries & fork lift trucks.

Archived