Classic Vehicles

nowtelse2do

I know that some of our forum members own a classic vehicle and or interested in them. At this time of the year most of us have dusted the cobwebs off them and are running about in this belting weather of ours at the moment, which is good fun for those of us that own one. I have entered ours (owned by me and my son) into four shows so far this year, they are :-

(1) Raby Castle Classic Vehicle Show, Sunday 19th of June at Raby Castle, Nr Darlington,

(2) Jaguar Enthusiasts Club, Northern Show, Sunday 10th July at Newby Hall, Nr Harrogate,

(3) Lytham St Annes Classic Car and Bike Show, Sunday 14th August at Lytham Hall, Lytham.

(4) Lakeland Historical Vehicle Show, Sunday 28th August at Hutton In The Forest, Penrith.

If any of you are showing or just going to any of the event,s for a day out and a look, please come over (with a pkt of fags and a bottle of plonk) and say hello.

Please no violence. Whatever I'v posted in the past, I didn't mean it, honest... :-D.

Look for a Jag XJS Reg A12 TWR

Look forward to meeting you.

Dave, (son is called Paul.)

Guest JudgeMental

well I was waiting in the DVLA car park yesterday for the inspection on my newly imported van...when a beautiful drop top sports car in light grey pulled in next to me, it looked mint, in fact brand new so I guesed it must be a kit...

No it was in fact a 1938 Frazer Nash BMW, I asked the chap what it was worth, and he said it is for sale for £400,000 *-)

Guest Tracker

Thanks Dave - would love to meet up for a natter but they are all a bit far for a day out for us.

Never say never and if it fits in we can have a weekend away in the van - I don't suppose any of those showsoffer overnight camping for visitors do they?

Tracker - 2011-04-28 10:20 PM

Thanks Dave - would love to meet up for a natter but they are all a bit far for a day out for us.

Never say never and if it fits in we can have a weekend away in the van - I don't suppose any of those showsoffer overnight camping for visitors do they?

Hi Rich,

I think the JEC one at Newby Hall is a 3day event with camping area but not 100% sure. Will find out if anyone is interested.

Dave.

This might be a bit too close here for you two bug*ers so no fighting,

Eddie, they are only worth what some nutter is prepared to pay, Can you lend me £399.995.00p

Pay you back next week. :-D :-D

For fellow classic petrolheads.

Here are my nominations for some the prettiest and ugliest cars I have seen.

The Beautiful Delahay was in the Schlumff (spelling?) museum at Mulhouse.

New it was was a wedding present to a French couple who took it with them on honymoon to California on a return ticket. They never came home. Forty or so years later the man died and his widow donated the car to the museum. It came home using the return ticket.

The Panhard was in a little town museum just up the road from one of the chateaus on the Loire the name of which escapes me.

Delahay.jpg.a9d6c438e50e6c5a423dd4fa4d6bbd14.jpg

Delahay4.jpg.1d525d1a7b24f38abd161f641a9cd9b9.jpg

Coming back through Basel 3yr ago with the intentions of going to Mulhouse to the Schlumpf Museum, I left it to late, so I'm going to try again end of May on or way back from Austria. Nice photo's George, the one with the Phanhard brought some memories back. When I was 14. We were strolling up the Chanselise and there was a Phanhard Showroom there. The show car in the window was a Phanhard Dyna P16 convertible. It was a futuristic looking car in 1958 and I couldn't take my eye's of it. I was soon brought back down to Earth when mum (who had been telling me to come on) gave me a clout around the ear saying, "we haven't got all night looking at bloody cars" :-D

She could never understand until later in life, that if it moved and had more than one wheel I had to have a good look at it.

I should have called this thread 'Classic Transport' and not vehicles because it wasn't the intention of it just relating to cars, I love all forms of transport from Penny Farthings to Dragsters.

Dave

Guest Tracker

If you are in the area the Motor Museum at Le Mans is worth a visit - or it was in 2005!

http://www.le-mans.world-guides.com/le_mans_museums.html

We parked up at the back in a bit of shade to get out of the sun and when I asked a guy in uniform if we could stay the night nearby he just did a Gallic shrug, smiled and sais 'mais certainment' - at least I think that's what he said - so we did and nobody complained!

Some of the panels were reputed to be papier -mache but more probably some sort of reinforced resin The basic structure was likely to be food for tin worm although the back should last well being coated with oil form the two stroke exhaust. I seem to remember reading the mechanical bit derived from a pre war DKW.

I drove a 1960 ish Auto Union from the same roots once and a very nice car it was. Three cylinder two stroke as smooth as a 4 stroke six with a freewheel to get over lumpy over-run.

Our friend has a Trabbie and a few years ago, whilst on a microcar rally run his gear lever broke, so he got hold of a small tree branch and stuck that in the part that was still attached - worked a treat! :-D

George, thanks for the link to the museum in Brittany, will visit next time we are down that way. The Trabant would have been overloaded on the front axle i think :-D

Rich, I passed Le Mans once coming up from Poitiers to catch the ferry at Ouistreham so never got to the museum. What was interesting is that I found myself driving up this very long wide straight road with roundabout's on it, for what seemed to be no apparent reason and loads of speed cameras on it. After about a mile I realised I was on the Mulsanne Straight 8-) Am I glad there was no flying Merc's around.

Dave

Hi,

I have a Mazda Double-cab SUV, and Barbara has a new KIA Picanto. Boring! Every boy needs a car to drive and another car to play with. So I stuck an advert in www,preloved.co.uk asking for a Citoen 2CV project. I really wanted something pre-war, but Barbara doesn't like square cars.

Phone call, offering me a 1988 2CV for £350. I resent paying "two figures" for my cars, let alone three, so not interested, but I was polite. Bloke went on to tell me that it was parked at side of road and a woman crashed into the front (then drove off) :'(. The same afternoon, he stopped at a road junction .... and somebody ran into the back of him. 8-) Then he said I sounded like a nice bloke, so I could have it for £200. Yep, OK, I'll have it! I later found it had three months tax and test.

I removed the mangled front and rear bumpers (finding that it had been fittted with a new chassis), fitted two new tyres at £50 each (ouch!) and insured it fully comp (including Recovery) for £105.

OK, it ain't pretty, but its fun, raises a lot of smiles/waves. Bit of a challenge, but great with the soft-top rolled back on a sunny day.

There's about three weeks left on the MOT. Will it pass? Dunno! I can't identify anything that would fail it, but the moment of truth ain't far away. Either way, I think I'm ahead of the game

Beautiful classics? In the 1950s a 1923 Bentley (Gurney Nutting body, pointed tail) arrived in the road. Pretty enough to make the local enthusiasts drool. Absolutely immaculate. He rented it to film companies. Cost him £250, probably worth a thousand times that now. A Brough Superior bike and chair lived in the same house.

The Old Biddy living next door remarked " I see we have another old car in the road!" She preferred a neighbour's new Vauxhall Wyvern. She didn't like my 1932 Austin 7.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, got back late Saturday from our 3 weeks holiday of Germany & Austria. George we did go to the Schlumpf Collection and I think it was the best value for money I've ever had, a truly world class collection of cars in a museum that must rank among the best in the world. Entrance fee was e10.50 = about £9 each, parking cost e3.50 for the 4hrs that we were there. While we were walking around a fork lift truck came by us and it was towing the Panhard 35 CV that George Eyston broke the 1hr world record, it covered 214.064 km in Feb 1934. If I'm not mistaken it was at the Goodwood festival last year. Anyway it was a treat to see it, don't know if I can put a picture up of it, but will try.

Nope..!! all it does is say Ooop's a 500 error, try later. I downsized the photo to 640x480

What's a 500 error??

Dave

Guest pelmetman
nowtelse2do - 2011-05-31 7:39 PM

Yeh..!! Not a burgervan forum though :-D :-D

Dave

How could you say such a thing 8-) ...................I hope "Horace" never heard you :D

Guest pelmetman
nowtelse2do - 2011-05-31 8:39 PM

Looks a very tidy van Dave, What year is it? ;-)

Dave

1990.................Its 21 years old this year and has now clocked 53k :D

Archived