Sat Nav failed

tonyg3nwl

Hi, Horror shock etc, My garmin quest 2 sat nav wont power up on it's internal battery so I cant upload info from computer for our forthcoming trip.

I have examined it and find that the battery is glued in internally so I cant renew it myself, and it will have to go for repair. How much??? I know garmin have a standard repair cost under warranty and a 3 week delay, but it isnt under warranty now.

In the event have to get a replacement with full european mapping, what should I get and what cost.. suggestions please for both type and where to go to get deal . Half...s or what.

tonyg3nwl

ps we depart in 3 weeks

tonyg3nwl - 2011-05-01 7:59 AM

My garmin quest 2 sat nav wont power up on it's internal battery

Sounds like the battery is dead Tony. Have you tried re-charging it? Plug it into the mains for 1/2 hour then try again (and keep it plugged in until fullycharged).

Out of interest, do you usually plug it into the cigar lighter when travelling? When did you last use it?

Is there a reset button on the Garmin? If so, try giving it a 'cold' reboot.

As regards the glued in battery. If you think it is knacked, and are considering buying a new one anyway, why not try to take it out and replace it with a new one yourself?

W2G

Hi again, Huge releif and a happy wallet. Problem solved by rechecking thoroughly and cleaning the contacts on the charger carrier, then the charging indication came on and battery has now taken the charge properly..

When in normal use , it is connected to cigar lighter socket so the the voice can be heard. In the van, the socket is dead unless the engine is on, hence no charging. Had to find the proper mains charger

and clean that to get it going again.

Problem solved.

Tonyg3nwl

Guest JudgeMental

Good news...But always ignore the 12 month warranty period? as you are covered by the "sales of goods act" for a period of up to 6 years........and yes it works have done it many times.

Just had my sons Canon SLR lens repaired, Cannon refused to do anything so downloaded letter from CAB and sent to Dixons (the retailer who you have the contract with not the manafacturer) and they paid up...It was 2 years old :-D

Hi,

For info, Garmin do a fixed price repair or replace at their discretion, cost depends on model but is around £70 which includes it being returned by carrier.

In my case when my 3 year old Garmin with Euro maps packed up, I rang Garmin and as I live in Fareham Hants, approx 25 miles from their HQ in Southampton i took mine in person rather than posting it. A replacement (better updated) model was couriered to me within days.

So well done Garmin.

Guest JudgeMental

I should have said that Garmin in my experience have always offered exemplary customer support and I have been a customer since 2000 and wont have anything else....

My Nuvi 770 started playing up last year (at nearly 2 years old) I sent it back and it was replaced gratis with latest model with a lot more features...Garmin every time for me! :-D

Archived