Auto Roller Motorhome 200 vibration

TJK

I have recently brought a new 2011 spec wide track Ford based Roller Team Auto Roller 200 (January this year) which suffers a vibration between 15 and 20mph on slight acceleration. After this speed, the vibration stops. The vibration is quite noticable and there is quite a shudder through the vehicle. Don't think its wheel wobble, maybe a drive shaft issue. Don't know if it could be the clutch and dual mass flywheel. Would be grateful if anyone out there could offer any advice and also can anyone advise of a good ford dealership in the Northern Home Counties with a rolling road, who would be able to accomodate a motorhome for this sort of investigation

Guest Tracker

Hi TJK and welcome to the madhouse.

With a new vehicle involved your first port of call should be the supplying motorhome dealer who ought to be able to have one of their people sit with you whilst you demonstrate the vibration prior to determining whether it be a conversion issue or a base vehicle issue.

Most dealers have some kind of understanding with their local base vehicle main dealers and with endorsement from the motorhome dealer any Ford main dealer ought to be able to assist you?

Guest JudgeMental
Why do you think it would need a rolling road? Just find a good local Ford dealer, that you can build a relationship with (servicing, warranty work etc....) and let him investigate the problem by road testing it.......

TJK - 2011-05-01 1:08 PM

I have recently brought a new 2011 spec wide track Ford based Roller Team Auto Roller 200 (January this year) which suffers a vibration between 15 and 20mph on slight acceleration. After this speed, the vibration stops. The vibration is quite noticable and there is quite a shudder through the vehicle. Don't think its wheel wobble, maybe a drive shaft issue. Don't know if it could be the clutch and dual mass flywheel. Would be grateful if anyone out there could offer any advice and also can anyone advise of a good ford dealership in the Northern Home Counties with a rolling road, who would be able to accomodate a motorhome for this sort of investigation

You don't say whether or not the vibration is gear ratio-related. If it is occurring between 15mph and 20mph in a range of gears, then the vibration would be happening at a range of engine speeds and one might then expect the problem to be outside the motor/gearbox 'group' and not related to, say, the clutch/flywheel. If the vibration is occurring between 15mph and 20mph only in, say, 3rd gear, then it would be taking place within a specific small range of engine speeds (and in a specific gear), so might be related to the engine/gearbox or drive-shafts. But that's just aimless crystal-ball gazing...

As has already been advised, you initially need to contact the dealership who sold you the motorhome as your purchase contract is with that vendor. If the dealership is a long distance from your home and, as it's likely that the vibration problem relates to the Transit base vehicle and not the Auto-Roller conversion, the dealership may suggest that you arrange an appointment with a Ford dealership local to you as base-vehicle diagnosis/rectification work will be via the Ford warranty. I echo the advice that a rolling-road should not be a prerequisite in this case, as the fault is plainly noticeable and can be reliably demonstrated by driving the vehicle at a certain speed.

(If you haven't already done so, I suggest you check the obvious - that the wheel-nuts are all tight.)

Thanks for all of your replies and advice The reason I was not so keen to return to the supplying dealer is the fact I live in North London and I purchased the vehicle 200 miles away and apart from the distance and the cost and the time involved in making the journey back, I was a bit concerned in case the vehcile broke down on the way! I thought a Ford Dealer with a rolling road might be a good idea although I agree that a test drive would suffice. The vibration at 15-20 mph is in all gears that it is possible to engage at those low speeds. I have checked all wheel nuts and they are secure. Thanks again for you help

Archived