Air Con + Inverter Vehicle or Leisure Battery?

Jackal

Re-reading and trying to understand what you've put, am I correct in thinking that the difference between the Elektroblock split charge circuit and the Dometic one is that the former has a lower rating of 40 Amps whereas the latter has a higher rating of 150 Amps plus?

If that is the case, I'm wondering how Tomo gets on. He certainly hasn't got a Dometic one and yet one would imagine he would have some sort of split charge circuit to cope with the high current. 

Dave, my final text after leaving two messages on your mobile and the emailing you was sent to your mobile 07891 441*** on the 2nd May at 17.13. It read "Dave, Carlos here. I sent you an email last week about possibly fitting the air con and inverter after we've dropped our van off this coming Saturday...so could do with knowing whether you want the job or not. Cheers."

I can resend it you, if you like.

My email to you dated 26th April 2011 at 23.26 also read;

"J*****,

I'm just trying to plan when we could drop the van down to get the air conditioning and inverter fitted, that Dave and I talked about a couple of months ago.

Presumably, Dave would appreciate having the van over a period of a week, so would it be possible to drop it off on the morning of Saturday 7th May and pick it up again on the 14th?

We could also get him to pop the new water pump filter on at the same time.

Best wishes,

Carlos"

As Dave says, if the engine is not running the slave relays are open and so no charge is transfered through the main charging circuit. His charge taken from engine battrey is replaced from the Leisure battery by the Battery Master and a much slower rate.

The disconnecting of the 12 volts habitation when engine running is not relevant to your problem. It is switched off at the main panel distributing the 12 volts via fuses to various equipment.It is nothing to do with the reason Tommo's works. If he was to start his engine and his slave relays close, he is risking over loading the slave relay and charge circuits. It may well work fine but is sailing very close to the wind.

Not that it matters now as someone else did the job but yes I would have done it differently, exactly how would depend on exactly what you wanted and how much you were prepared to spend. All I would say now is you need to speak to the guys who DID install it for you and get them to resolve the issues you have properly.

D.

With all due respect, the original quote that you gave me...

Hi Carlos

Quote to supply and install Dometic B1600 plus Air con and 2700 watt inverter

Dometic B1600 plus                     £1595.00 Labour to fit            £210.00
2700 watt inverter                           £510.62 Labour to fit             £84.00

Possible £70 extra if we need to cut a 40cm square opening for the air con,

Regards
Jackie

...which I accepted, most have entailed a certain way of fitting it?

Or are you now saying that, not only did you not get the email dated 26/04/11 replying to your email from your address davenewell0208@tiscali.co.uk or the phone messages or the text to your own personal mobile 07891 441883, detailed on page 1 of this thread but you hadn't and haven't any idea how it was going to be done anyway?

Thanks for that.

Don't understand, Carlos. Why are you quarreling with Dave? He quoted you, and for whatever reason you didn't accept his quote, and went elsewhere. The problem you now have is for two reasons.

First, you rejected the good advice to go for the specific Dometic product, and went for a "home made" solution.

Second, the person who installed the "home made" solution has made a mistake, and you now need to go back to them to get them to rectify it.

Sniping at Dave will achieve nothing useful (can achieve nothing useful), though it may well annoy him and lose you a useful ally! I'm sorry, but you rejected the sound advice, and you made your choices; no-one else did.

For what it is worth I would add this. Trying to run a Dometic aircon unit from either habitation battery, or starter battery, or both batteries in parallel, will not work for more than a few minutes, unless you add substantially to the battery capacity. To then try to replenish the amount you have taken from the batteries merely by driving, you will need to drive around for hours. If you do not do this, leaving the batteries progressively depleted, you will wreck the batteries.

I assume you want the aircon to counter heat? If it is hot, you need to run the aircon until the van is cool. For this, you need the the engine running to feed in power as the aircon consumes it. Even then, when stationary in traffic, the alternator output cannot be guaranteed to keep pace with the aircon demand, which is why the Dometic kit is designed as it is, to allow power to be drawn from both batteries simultaneously to supplement what the alternator can deliver.

Cooling a van cannot be achieved in 10 minutes. 10 minutes will clip the temperature, but if the van itself is hot, as soon as the aircon goes off, the temperature will begin rising again, as heat from the structure escapes to the interior. The 10 minutes trick may work in the cooler evening at the end of a hot day, but only if cab aircon has been going full tilt all day to keep the temperature in check. If your van has been parked in full sun for a couple of hours or more during the heat of the day, the Dometic unit, fed just from your batteries, won't (can't) get close to achieving comfort. What you need under those circumstances is what the unit is designed for: mains power.

Guest JudgeMental

agree with everything of Brians above, and here is my take on the matter for what it is worth

roof a/c needs a 230v supply to run long enough to achieve any sort of satisfactory cooling......end of!

So choice is simple, either stay on sites, or use a petrol/diesel or gas generator. Cheapest option probably portable petrol genny

Totally agree with Brian, your attack on Dave is totally out of order. He gave you a quote which you didn't accept & went somewhere else.

He has now given you FREE advice on how it should have been fitted to enable you to go back to your fitter & get it sorted & you have a go at him why?

Archived