Site near Giverney

Another1

We are travelling to Normandy and Brittany for 3 weeks in June in our LHD Adria Izola 687 .

One of the places we wish to visit is Monet's garden in Giverney. However, we cannot find a site or aire within reasonable distance using the ASCI book, All the Aires or the Eurocamping web site.

We also wish to visit the Palace of Versailles. What is the best route to get there or site to stay at? I would think that a site with access to public transport near to Giverney would have suited both locations without needing to move. However I dont mind driving into Paris to get the RER or metro to Versailles.

Any suggestions on either or both options is appreciated.

Tony

Another1 - 2011-05-09 3:10 PM

We are travelling to Normandy and Brittany for 3 weeks in June in our LHD Adria Izola 687 .

One of the places we wish to visit is Monet's garden in Giverney. However, we cannot find a site or aire within reasonable distance using the ASCI book, All the Aires or the Eurocamping web site.

We also wish to visit the Palace of Versailles. What is the best route to get there or site to stay at? I would think that a site with access to public transport near to Giverney would have suited both locations without needing to move. However I dont mind driving into Paris to get the RER or metro to Versailles.

Any suggestions on either or both options is appreciated.

Tony

Hi Tony,

We have visited Monet's garden and house four times (spring and early autumn) and each time we have stayed the night on the car park. The car park is directly opposite the entrance, no real facilities, but no charges either. The best place is to go to the top of the car park (it is terraced) as it is quieter there.

The best time to visit is about an hour, to an hour and a half before the gardens close, as it is quieter then. We tried being clever and going in when they first opened in the morning ... big mistake, as all the coach parties arrived just after us!

We visited the Garden about 5 years or so ago, and stayed at Les Fosses Rouge CS, St Marcel (was listed under Vernon) in the CC Guide. Very rural and basic, but exc overnight stop.

We then ensured we were at teh garden for opening time next morning (partly to get ahead of the Japanese tourists!), and were able to park up in the Carpark which I think is hte same one as mentioned above, as we noticed there were some MHomes which had obviosuly been there overnight. I seem to recall the main car park (a little bit away from teh garden entrance) had a height barrier.

I would endorse what spospe said about using the car park at Giverney. Just remember to go to the correct car park, its up a slight hill and as spospe said it is terraced. Not the car park off the roundabout , this has height barriers. Every time we have stayed there it has been very peaceful, remember its in France everyone is a lot more laid back than Blighty

Many thanks to all who replied. Excellent suggestions.

We will certainly be at Monet's garden late to avail of the top car park and stay overnight. We can then visit the garden for the morning.

We will travel from Giverney to Paris to Maison Laffite as it does look handy for Versailles.

Thanks again....Tony

JudgeMental - 2011-05-12 1:26 PM

aultymer - 2011-05-12 11:21 AM

We camped here:- http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=8111

It's a few miles downriver from Giverney but is in a great position and is a very good site.

That looks a good find........Going in the sat nav now! :-D

RATS - there were only about 6 other units there when we visited - now all kinds of dubious characters could find their way there. (lol)

Guest JudgeMental
aultymer - 2011-05-12 4:17 PM

JudgeMental - 2011-05-12 1:26 PM

aultymer - 2011-05-12 11:21 AM

We camped here:- http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=8111

It's a few miles downriver from Giverney but is in a great position and is a very good site.

That looks a good find........Going in the sat nav now! :-D

RATS - there were only about 6 other units there when we visited - now all kinds of dubious characters could find their way there. (lol)

I promise I will buy you a drink......

Archived