Proving Your Co2 Emission Level

Vernon B

I wonder if the “Go Box” thread I opened raises a side issue that could be a problem in the future. Several posts referred to the Austrian transport authorities requiring proof of a vehicle’s emissions levels before accepting classification to euro III, IV or V toll tariffs.

In my naivety I’d assumed this was simply a matter of demonstrating the vehicle’s date of manufacture by flourishing the V5C. I guess I was lulled into that assumption from the way in which Transport For London operates its LEZ through a central database of that information. Hence I can quickly confirm that my 2009 Sprinter based 3.88t Frankia is euro IV compliant. But from what I can understand that approach has not been adopted by Austria and perhaps other EU member states.

As for toll charging in Austria, Uncle Bulgaria (Richard) in the Go Box thread made the following observations -

“A little "sting in the tail" with a GO BOX. When you sign up for a BOX at the border you will be asked the Euro emissions class for the engine. With a new van you will say Class IV or even V. However, on reading the small print on the receipt you will find you must then send the Austrian authorities within 10 days a certificate of conformity issued for your vehicle by the base vehicle manufacturer giving it's Euro emission class. Fiat are unable to issue such a certificate even if you ask them for one before leaving for Austria as emissions depend on what the coachbuilder builds on the chassis, over which Fiat has no control. There is a heavy fine if you a caught with a GO BOX charging at the Class IV rate but you cannot produce the certificate of conformity. In the absence of a certificate of conformity you must register your vehicle as emissions Class 0. The result is the charge rate for using the motorway is, I believe, 50% higher than for a Class IV.

In response to which Brian Kirby added -

“German made vans have had CoCs since at least 2005. One should have been included among the documents supplied with the van. It may be possible to obtain a duplicate from the converter if the chassis, or build, number is quoted. There may be a charge for this. The CoC cannot be issued by Fiat etc because they did not finish the van, the converter did, and issues the CoC. We had one for our first van (Burstner), bought 2005, and have one for the present van, bought 2007.”

My concern is that as an owner of a 2009 German made ‘van I was not issued with a a CoC (Carbon Certificate I assume) – nor for that matter does section V.7 of the V5C, C02 (g/km), contain an entry. Perhaps of significance, I purchased my ‘van from the UK dealer, in contrast to another thread contributor who appears to have received such a document but through Bundesvan and a German dealer.

Given that the EU mandarins are softening us up for the more extensive use of carbon based road pricing and LEZs across Europe I wonder if in a few years time - when the emission standard is euro 10 or above - the absence of a CoC could be a real problem for some unaware owner’s of IV and V vehicles? Suffice to say I am not looking forward to the potentially vexatious task of chasing my “lost” CoC back to the German manufacturer. Or should I simply keep my head in the sand?

V

The CoC is a Certificate of Conformity, which is more associated (in the case of vehicles) with assuring that it conforms with certain requirements - in this case normally Whole Vehicle Type Approval (WVTA).

Motorhomes have to date been exempt from WVTA but the legislation is making this mandatory in the near future. Some continental manufacturers have been working to the required standards for some time, and issuing CoCs, as indeed have the Swift Group in the UK.

Not being in possession of a CoC, I can't say for sure, but I would not be at all surprised if any such document issued by a motorhome converter was entirely agnositc of any emissions data (hence my question of Brian Kirby on the previous thread).

It would be interesting if anyone else with a recent CoC (Swift Group vehicle) could check and confirm whether such data is included.

The Austrians (loveley country though it otherwise is) seem to be intent on making life difficult for motorcaravanners in this respect - it is clear that the regulations for the Go-Box are firmly targeted on commercial users of vehicles, and they are not prepared to make any concessions for other use. (given their geographical position and the fact they are a major transit route for Europen Lorry traffic, I have some sympathy with the fundamantals).

You'd think the Germans (from their reputation) might be even more bureaucratic , but for foreign registrations they are quite happy to take the registration date of the vehicle as evidence of emissions category when they issue an Umweltplakette. (As I understand it, German vehicles are assessed against a field present on their registration documents - the "emissionsschlüsselnummer" which is specific about the particular vehicle.)

Our Hymer's CofC has the emissions listed, CO. HC, NOx, HC+NOx, Partical & other info in German that I'm not sure what it is.

As your van is German built you should have been given a CofC at the time of purchase I do not see why your dealer can't supply one may just a case of shouting louder.

I am sure if you emailed Frankia they would send you one but why should you have to do it when your dealer should have given you it anyway.

Robinhood - 2011-05-11 11:09 AM

You'd think the Germans (from their reputation) might be even more bureaucratic , but for foreign registrations they are quite happy to take the registration date of the vehicle as evidence of emissions category when they issue an Umweltplakette. (As I understand it, German vehicles are assessed against a field present on their registration documents - the "emissionsschlüsselnummer" which is specific about the particular vehicle.)

I have just received a green Umweltplakette from Berlin for my Burstner motorhome. Is this valid for Austria as I'm going there this month?

No, not valid,........but

There are no (AFAIK) low-emissions zones in Austria (the Umweltplakette is required for such zones in Germany).

The discussion here follows that on a previous thread where, to obtain the lowest toll rate on Austrian Motorways (for vehicles exceeeding 3.5t), you need to prove your emissions rating.

Whether a Green umweltplakette (and associated documentation) is acceptable for that is a moot point (but the Austrian documentation implies not).

I suspect your 'van does not exceed 3.5t, in which case, for motorway toll purposes, the emissions rating is irrelevant, and if you use the motorway, a (cheap) vignette will suffice.

Why is it that life just becomes so complicated...or am I just getting old!!!

Time was when you could just get in the car/motorhome, and as long as you had the valid driving licence, insurance and Road Tax documentation, you could go where you wanted...now we have the congestion zone, the LEZ, all these foreign equivalents etc.

I've just had the FIAT motorhome 48month service and MOT including the cambelt change, and was astonished to learn that in order to get the reading for the MOT Emission levels, it is necesaary to run the engine to so high a rpm that it can literally break the cambelt, which is why the insist on changing it before they do the test. The level of RPMrequired is far in excess of anything that would be encountered in normal usage! I am now the proud owner of a certificate stating that - well, I'm not sure really.......it's all double dutch to me - but basically my understanding that it gives the reading at the date/time of the MOT!

HOWEVER.......the garage advise me to keep a copy in the motorhome, as there are now VOSA staff with mobile testing equipment,and they may well stop and test your vehicle at any time...AND it may not pass the test as the reading can be different on any occasion, dependent on all sorts of factors!

If you don't have the test document with you, there is an instant fine, I think they said of £60, if you do have a certificate, then it merely shows you have done what was necessary, but if the reading taken by VOSA is not within the correct parameters, the fine is merely reduced.

In other words the paper simply shows a single reading/date/time....which seems to be not good enough for the EU Mandariins.....what's all this about!??? .......well, other than to create yet more expensive jobs for the boys in EU-land!...(or is that 'cloud-cuckoo' land! - failed politicians from the UK mainly it seems!!)...and to ensure the motorist pays yet more money to the taxman whether in the UK or Europe!

Archived