Aldi Mini Sat System

bromleyxphil

Hi

I am not a big TV person but sometimes could do with a bit more news channel than my standard aerial gives me. I notice Aldi have a mini sat system in next week for £50. Will this give me more or will it be another accessory consigned to the shed? Does anyone have experience with them? how far from home will it work? and how much of my precious free time will be taken setting the thing up.

Thanks Phil

Bought one a few years ago just so that SWMBO could watch Emmerdale.

Time to set up varied from Zero to 15 mins.

Zero happened on 2 occasions where we looked where everyone elses dish was pointed and set ours the same way and 15min was around Le Mans where some trees made life difficult.

A couple of times I did give up (lifes too short).

The little dish worked from the West coast of Harris to mid France.

Dish has to be set vertical or even slightly facing the ground (in the far North) and a few degrees makes a big difference.

We practiced setting up at home (didn't have sat at home then) so that the basics were understood before we went away.

Will agree with previous posting. Have used mine for about 4 years now from the north of Scotland down to La Rochell in France. They can be finicky to set up but it takes practice to perfect however if you are into tv it is worth it.

I also purchased a lazer spirit level from the same supplier. Threw away the level and use the tripod to mount my dish which makes it so much easier to tune. Have had numerous "where did you get that" to my set-up even from a gent with an all singing dancing automatic dish that for some reason could not get the channels I did. Like the big dishes, wind does effect tuning and surrounding trees etc

It would be interesting to find out how many are returned as "faulty" and how many are abandoned into a cupboard.

When I went to buy my Sat set from ALDI my wife laughed when I said that I and 2 friends were going to get to the store 30 mins before it opened to make sure that we got one.

Well we arrived 30 mins before the store opened - no one there so it seemed that she was right, but lo and behold at 15 mins before store opening there was a large queue and not everyone got a Sat set.

We were ok but nearly got crushed in the stampede, so if you decide to get one then its up to you how early you arive at the store. Good luck and try to find out where they will be in the store before the sale day otherwise being first in the queue and choosing the wrong isle could be a disaster. As there were 3 of us we chose one isle each and I got to them first and grabbed 3 sets, but if looks could kill then I would not be writing this piece.

PS - a very good piece of kit used it all over France as supplied and with a 1metre dish in Spain.

Mike

Archived