Advise regarding the l'île d'Oléron

Wilf

During our holiday to France in September we are considering spending a few days on the Iile de Oleron.

Having never been to this part of France before can, we ask for your help and advise please?

We have heard that the area can be very touristy; but the French holidays will be over by then so it shouldn’t be too bad.

Does anyone know of any small sites or aires that would be suitable for a few days stay where we can just park and not move; but use the bikes to get about?

Is the bridge onto the Iile de Oleron and the bridge over to the Iile de Ré toll free?

Your experiences good or bad would be appreciated.

Thanks Wilf

Guest JudgeMental

Ille De Rae is a toll bridge, I forget how much just google it?.....In September place will be deserted I would think. Great safe cycling areas.

according to my sat nav ille de rae has 10 or more Aires and Ille de Oleron over 20

I am actually replying from Oleron at present. We have had 2 amazing weeks at a site called Les Gros Joncs in Les Sables Vignieres. ACSI price 15 euro. Truly lovely, with 2 pools, gym, spa etc. We have got around the whole island on bikes. The causeway is free, too!

We are off to (again) ile de re on Monday for a couple of weeks, this is heaven.

Chris

L'île d'Oléron used to have a very dubious reputation a few years ago as far as motorhomes were concerned, as much as anything because the maire openly loathed camping-caristes, branding them as free-loading scum and making every effort to encourage them to go elsewhere. I believe things are better now.

The campingcar-infos website has plenty of detailed information on aires on both islands and I also found this:

http://airetoday.mobi/aire%20chateau%20d'oleron.html

Spent a couple of days on oleron a few years ago . Plenty of sites and a nice aire near chateau d' Oleron.

No toll on bridge. There are nice sites as you head to the north of the island.Chateau d'Olereon is a nice place for a ramble and some nice cares.

Il de re is tolled on the way in and is not expensive, no toll on way out. Plenty of sites to choose from , one or two beside lovely beaches. N . B . Bring your bikes for both islands are biker friendly

Regards ..B.G.

Spent a couple of days on oleron a few years ago . Plenty of sites and a nice aire near chateau d' Oleron.

No toll on bridge. There are nice sites as you head to the north of the island.Chateau d'Olereon is a nice place for a ramble and some nice cares.

Il de re is tolled on the way in and is not expensive, no toll on way out. Plenty of sites to choose from , one or two beside lovely beaches. N . B . Bring your bikes for both islands are biker friendly

Regards ..B.G.

The Ill de Oleron is a great place..we had around 3 weeks there a couple of years ago and thought it was a great place for motorhoming...There is a very large Aire at the Northern end of the island.(It is in All the Aires Book) which used to be an old campsite which when we were there was packed mind you that was July/August during the French hols..but as your going in September shouldn't be a real problem

The Il de Re is even better in my opinion if I remember correctly the toll to the island was 16 euros but well worth it..we stayed on a small municipal for 10 euros a night...in St Martin de Re smashing place..good safe cycling all around..plenty of shops and supermarkets

If u have time to do a few days on lile de re aswell, try Le Gratiniere in La Flotte, will be in the books under st Martin de Re. We had 2 weeks there 2 yrs ago and will be going there on Monday. Really quiet here and was also in Sept when last here. Come and enjoy, its so laid back, its horizontal!

Chris

Archived