Diesel at Calais

webbocj

There used to be a 24 hr self service pump at the Auchn supermarket. The site is where sainburys used to be ..other than that Calais is closed on a Sunday. J10 m20 there is a tesco or J12 there is another tesco open. Have they not dropped the price ?like Morrisons and asda..... diesel in Calais last week was e1.33.. £1.21

As you come out of Calais docks and get on the motorway, go around the big sweeping bend to the right and come off at the 1st exit. There is now a new stadium on the right, Take 2nd exit on roundabout (if you take the 1st it takes you past the stadium but you can get back on track). Follow the road thru 1st set of lights to next roundabout, on left you will see champion supermarket. Go round to 3rd exit and there are 2 entry points on your right. I nearly always use this for fuel both on the outward and return. It is easy to find and very close to docks.

Clive.

Guest Peter James
Clive - 2011-05-14 4:08 PM

Dover docks!

C.

All very well for those of you affluent enough to fill up at Dover docks!

I use the free motorway as far as Boulougne, when you come off there you see a E Leclerc supermarket close to the junction, its about the cheapest and has self service pumps accepting UK Visa Debit cards 24/7.

Just like with booze, the UK Government loses all its revenue for being too greedy.

A16 Junction 31 to the Commercial Centre at St Martin Boulogne is always a good bet - fuel is always cheap and if you fill up on your way back home you can wash those pesky flies off the front too. The pumps take all UK cards and are open 24/7.

I know it's 22 miles from the tunnel but easy to find and easy to use. We fill up on the way back too and a tank full lasts us till the next trip over. ( prices 2 weeks ago -€1.34 per litre. Saving approx 25 p per litre on local uk price ( with a diesel tank of 120 litres, not o be sneezed at!) ;-)

Just got back last night from France

We found quiet a variance in prices, and supermarkets defintlly the cheapest. We paid 1,259e at Super U on friday in Brittany, we also paid 1.39 e in another place ,and saw 1.41e so pays to look around. Seemed dearer nearer to the ports. For anyone going via Cherbourg, the hypermarket, has been taken over by Carrefour, and is in the process of beeing re developed , and there are now height restrictions 2.3 m , the fuel station was closed. We were able to park on the outer road, close to the Normandie wine warehouse, for those who know Cherboroug

PJay

"All very well for those of you affluent enough to fill up at Dover docks! "

I wish

No its paranoia of being caught on the other side of the channel without a full tank with a bank holiday Monday to follow the Sunday (again!)

C.

We do the same as Clive, fill up at Dover, I agree that it is not as cheap as France, but having paid for the ferry and investing in 6 weeks away, the last thing I want is stress finding fuel (extra miles involved partly off sets the savings).

Been caught out with French holidays in the past, still each to his own and some usefull info in the thread.

To everyone that fills up in Dover I cannot understand why you have to fill up in Dover. I must admit I have put £20 worth in myself when my tank has been low What happens when you are driving to South of France, do you stop half way till the garage opens again. Do coaches not run. Even if you did have a problem with supermarket fuel you could still nip onto a autoroute for a junction or two at very little cost. Most supermarkets take English cards 24 hr. The only ones I recollect having touble with are Intermarche, also Esso and Total garages on ordinary roads at night.

Clive.

Two weeks to go and I am off to France. I will fill up at Morrisons in Leyland and that gets me all the way to Dover about 340 miles. SatNav set for Carafoure fuel station in Calias which is just off the first roundabout and is about 1.30 euros at the moment, fill up and save about £30, easy.

Hi We are off this time next week crossing Dover Calais, and may take on fuel before crossing. I think that the cost difference for half tank works out about the same allowing for the cost of changing pounds to euro unless you manage to get a super exchange rate.

I prefer to have enough on board to be able to travel at least 100/150 mile before needing a top up..I say 1/2 tank because from home starting full, I will be down around half by the time I get to Dover, so shouldn't need more for first evening travel.(intend to reach St Omer aire only 30 miles or so)

tonyg3nwl

Best place 7 days a week is Carrefour, 3 Boulevard Jacquard, Calais co-ords N50°57'10.69" E 1°53'20.04" on Sundays it is self service payment around 1.33 euro. Was there 7 days ago. Best place before leaving France or after arriving France for diesel. Cheaper that Dover £1.49 per litre

Archived