Tesco Clubcard/vouchers

Can someone explain, simply if possible how this system works. I've got a clubcard/credit card and use this whenever I can, reason a new Tesco has opened near to us (still prefer Saino's, Nectar points are so simple).

I've now twice asked someone in Tesco to explain the system to me and both times came out more confused than when I went in. I seem to be getting the points from both Tesco stores and Tesco bank, and occasionally get some money off "tickets", what are perhaps vouchers sent through the post. I have not requested these "vouchers" which are valid to 2013, what is the best thing to do with these? Can you add them to your card?

Any help/tips would be helpful.

Many thanks

The vouchers you get quaterley, can be saved up until the date printed that they have to be used by. I always shop in Tesco so get quiet a few. You can convert these vouchers to three times there value for travel on euro tunnel (as well as other ferries) i.e £30.00 converts to £90.00 worth of tunnel fare Look on www.tesco.co.uk/travel this should help you

We went to France 2nd May for £30.00 worth of vouchers, first time for us, Very easy journey, you stay in van, so can have a cuppa, or read, it is light enough to do so. . We found it interesting, but for us not very practical, as it takes as long to get to Folkestone/Dover as it does for us to get the fast cat from Portsmouth to Cherborg or Caen, as we live overlooking the harbour.

PJay

PJay - 2011-05-15 3:54 PM

You can convert these vouchers to three times there value for travel on euro tunnel (as well as other ferries) i.e £30.00 converts to £90.00 worth of tunnel fare [..]

We found it interesting, but for us not very practical, as it takes as long to get to Folkestone/Dover as it does for us to get the fast cat from Portsmouth to Cherborg or Caen, as we live overlooking the harbour.

PJay

You can also convert the tokens to Airmiles, which can then be used on most (all??) ferries, but I've never sussed out how the conversion rate compares.

This is something I posted before when the question of Tesco vouchers was posted, it is an example of how you would get Eurotunnel vouchers instead, and then redeem them for a crossing:

NOTE: As has been mentioned above you now only get 3 times the face value when you exchange the Tesco vouchers for Deals vouchers, not 4.

You go on the Eurotunnel website and choose when you want to go and it will give you options for times/dates and the various prices. Once you have identified your timings etc, do NOT book anything.

Now you need to go to the Tesco website and redeem your vouchers for Eurotunnel vouchers (tesco.com, then Clubcard, Clubcard Deals, Travel, and then click on 'Eurotunnel' - on the right you can do the Tesco vouchers in multiples of £2.50, ie to pay for Eurotunnel return of £140, you need to redeem £35.00 worth of Tesco normal vouchers (if you haven't got enough vouchers you can pay the balance by credit card when you do your actually booking with Eurotunnel). You then sit back and wait for the postman to bring them for you, only a few days normally.

Once you have these Eurotunnel vouchers, go back on the Eurotunnel website and double check what dates/times are still available and the cost. I find it's best to print off the page with the price options on for reference. Now you need to call the Eurotunnel 'Tesco' phone number, there should've been some paperwork sent to you with your Eurotunnel vouchers with the phone number on - I think it's an 0870 number (if you go to the following website you can find a 'normal' number: Say No to 0870 nos ). When you speak to them make sure you tell them you want to pay with Tesco vouchers at the start.

Now tell them what date/times you want, they will confirm the cost, and they will ask you for the numbers off your Eurotunnel vouchers and if there is any more to pay your credit card details as well. This is where the fun starts, you now have to send the vouchers to Eurotunnel by Special Delivery to reach them within 4 working days along with the completed form (again, it tells you on the blurb), so ideally don't do your booking with Eurotunnel unless you are sure you can send them that day or the following day. If they don't get them in time the booking is void.

Once Eurotunnel have received the vouchers, they will send you a confirmation email with your full booking reference number on, you must take this with you when you go for your crossings as well as the credit card you paid any extra costs on as they may ask to see this in case of queries.

You then sit back and hope there's no industrial action when you're due to cross!!!!!!

Did you want advice on just travel, or other things?

[Having recently moved house, and having not much choice re supermarkets – it’s Tesco or …… I too began to use the Club Card scheme.]

This is my understanding of how it works…

1) You get points every time you shop and present your card in Tesco shops / petrol stations.

Ditto the Credit Card.

2) Quarterly, you get a Club Card statement [it can be checked online].

With this statement, you will get vouchers to be exchanged for specific goods / extra points if you buy XXX product.

3) As well as those specific vouchers, you get Club Card Vouchers.

These can be used in 3 ways:

(i) Use in the shops at face value.

(ii) Take advantage of occasional ‘double up’ offers on specific lines e.g wine, children’s clothes, flowers, electricals…. in the stores or on-line.

(iii) Exchange the vouchers for 3 times their face value for “Rewards” - details in the brochure, or check on line.

As well as travel vouchers you can use the Rewards system for restaurant vouchers [mainly chain restaurants like Pizza Express, Strada and so on], days out vouchers to theme parks and the like [we have used these a lot in various parts of UK] magazine subscriptions, hotel breaks … and many, many more….

Go to: http://www.tesco.com/clubcard/deals/

Hope this helps! The system is not that simple…. So I’ve simplified as much as poss!! And things may well have changed since last I checked. We’ve been away for 7 weeks…..

Make sure you get a club card number for the credit card ,and ask them to use the credit card number even if you do not want to pay with credit card .Seems to be a better rate of points if you use the credit card .Watch out for the interest if you don't pay in full at end of the month.

Well thanks for that, its now slightly more understandable than the explanation I got from the cretin in Customer Services.

However this does sound a right palaver! Me thinks I'll never remember the sequence or where I'd put the print out of Mels instructions.

I'm tempted to revert to Saino's and just knock the Nectar points off the bill, life is too short to mess about, but many thanks. I'll see how many points I get with the next statement to see if it worth saving them up.

We've just used £30 of Tesco vouchers to get a £90 reduction on ferries to and from Dublin in July/August (going by car and doing B&Bs 'cos we're taking my elderly parents with us). It really wasn't difficult as long as you can read and follow instructions.

D.

starvin marvin - 2011-05-17 3:58 PM

Well thanks for that, its now slightly more understandable than the explanation I got from the cretin in Customer Services.

However this does sound a right palaver! Me thinks I'll never remember the sequence or where I'd put the print out of Mels instructions.

I'm tempted to revert to Saino's and just knock the Nectar points off the bill, life is too short to mess about, but many thanks. I'll see how many points I get with the next statement to see if it worth saving them up.

Hi marvin

we have used Tesco clubcard points for quite a few years now to pay for a channel tunnel crossing (much better for the dog) and the slight inconvenience of arranging it is well worth the effort and not much more effort than making a normal booking. Just back from a trip to France and had a £158 return train crossing for £40 of vouchers - got in just before they changed the system to 3 x the face value!

We don't go out of our way to get the points but with food and diesel shopping we always have enough each year - try it and see how you get on.

David

• 4 months later...

It really is worth saving the Tesco points; we joined the scheme when it first started and so far have taken 2 holidays abroad for free, 2 return trips on Eurotunnel for just the cost of the dog! A few magazine subscriptions plus various smaller items, and we've just returned from a week on a canal boat that cost just the cost of the damage waiver insurance. (This to take advantage of the 4x value before it stopped.)

It doesn't matter how few points you collect, just watch the expiry dates so you don't 'lose' them.  We use the tesco credit card nomatter how little we're paying, it all mounts up.  We hardly ever shop in tesco these days but we still get quite a few points so hopefully won't need to pay for our eurotunnel tickets.

We went to France 2nd May for £30.00 worth of vouchers, first time for us, Very easy journey, you stay in van, so can have a cuppa, or read, it is light enough to do so. .

PJay

I was wondering why I missed this thread, then realised I was in Germany when it was put up :-)

Pauline I hope you got the drink out of your flask. Very naughty brewing up on the train. :-( :-D

Dave

Worth registering your clubcard on their website. I did yesterday as I wanted to confirm what changes were being made. What it told me was I had £18 of unspent vouchers from November 2009. We have never failed to use vouchers. It also tells you what vouchers you have been sent and according to them in November 2009 I was sent a £10 voucher and a £5 voucher so I have no idea how I haven't spent £18 from then. Anyway you can print off any unspent vouchers which I duly did and immediately went down to Tesco and spent it. Worth looking to see if you have any unspent ones.

nowtelse2do - 2011-09-30 6:35 PM

We went to France 2nd May for £30.00 worth of vouchers, first time for us, Very easy journey, you stay in van, so can have a cuppa, or read, it is light enough to do so. .

PJay

I was wondering why I missed this thread, then realised I was in Germany when it was put up :-)

Pauline I hope you got the drink out of your flask. Very naughty brewing up on the train. :-( :-D

Dave

Yes Dave. I always fill a flask with hot water, prior to setting off, means you don't have to get out of van to make coffee. Having been sailors for many years, this was something we did , always put any spare hot water in flask. We never travel with the gas on, EVER. In fact , we don't use gas very often, as usually on EHU. One bottle of propane has lasted us two trips of 3 month duration, as we have an electris plate on our cooker,.

Pauline

Archived