The Archers

Gwendolyn

Any Archers fans about?

Been away from Radio 4 for nearly 7 weeks and I haven’t been missing tuning in to The Archers. Haven’t even been tempted to read the synopses on-line. And haven’t been using paid for internet time to catch up. Ever since the clunky way the SWs led up to THAT episode, I lost a bit of interest – after 40 + years. Once upon a time, when I was away, I would get friends to tape the episodes for me… [way before internet and Listen Again days].

But, as I will be away for another 6+ weeks, I am now wondering, should I be missing it? Has anything exciting happened? Has Brain started another affair? Has William killed Edward? Has Jill burnt a casserole?

I am working my way through the Omnibus editions downloaded onto my MP3 player. I am about 3 months behind so can advise on recent events. I only tend to get to listen to them when I am gardening or during long journeys - neither of which have taken place over the last few months.

It seems a shame that the plot seems to have been lost though - I hope that it recovers in time for our summer touring.

MattR - 2011-05-16 5:55 PM

I am working my way through the Omnibus editions downloaded onto my MP3 player. I am about 3 months behind so can advise on recent events. I only tend to get to listen to them when I am gardening or during long journeys - neither of which have taken place over the last few months.

It seems a shame that the plot seems to have been lost though - I hope that it recovers in time for our summer touring.

Is Walter Gabriel still in the land of the living? used to like him.

bob b - 2011-05-16 9:13 PM

That Kathy Perks whining voice is seriously getting on my nerves......

Is she still mourning for Sid, regretting Kenton, nagging Jamie or has something else happened to add to the whine-fest?????

Gwendolyn - 2011-05-16 9:17 PM
bob b - 2011-05-16 9:13 PM That Kathy Perks whining voice is seriously getting on my nerves......
Is she still mourning for Sid, regretting Kenton, nagging Jamie or has something else happened to add to the whine-fest?????

I'm so short of patience for the awful women, I can't bring myself to discuss her !   On the subject of country folk....where be Fred & Alice lately ?

Gwendolyn - 2011-05-16 10:17 PM

Yes to all of the above!! I'm an avid Archers Fan, and download it to listen whilst walking the dog. Also have got dragged into the additional Ambridge Extra now... the 'younger' version of it which involves Chris and Alice and the back ground characters.

I used to listen years back, but then got out of it, but have been caught up with it now since Bruce got me an itouch, so now am hooked once more. I would say you should miss it......

Quick update in case.....

Did you know that Nigel was killed off? Fell off the roof at New Year.

Elizabeth is still keeping the business going, having poached Roy as a manager from Caroline.

Jamie left home for a while, living at the Bull.

Kenton is now going out with Joleen... oh the shock of it all for Kathy!!!

Helen had a baby boy by IVF and dotes on him.

Ed and Emma have had a baby girl.

That should keep you roughly in the latest news anyhow..if you were serious that is!

Sparkle - 2011-05-19 8:36 AM

Gwendolyn - 2011-05-16 10:17 PM

Yes to all of the above!! I'm an avid Archers Fan, and download it to listen whilst walking the dog. Also have got dragged into the additional Ambridge Extra now... the 'younger' version of it which involves Chris and Alice and the back ground characters.

I used to listen years back, but then got out of it, but have been caught up with it now since Bruce got me an itouch, so now am hooked once more. I would say you should miss it......

Quick update in case.....

Did you know that Nigel was killed off? Fell off the roof at New Year.

Elizabeth is still keeping the business going, having poached Roy as a manager from Caroline.

Jamie left home for a while, living at the Bull.

Kenton is now going out with Joleen... oh the shock of it all for Kathy!!!

Helen had a baby boy by IVF and dotes on him.

Ed and Emma have had a baby girl.

That should keep you roughly in the latest news anyhow..if you were serious that is!

Oh yes, serious indeed! I was not ‘missing’ the Archers as I used to if unable to listen in, but had begun wondering if I should be!!!

So before I used up internet time reading the synopses or “going to LA” I just thought I’d check.

As I thought, been away for 8 weeks and not a lot has happened.

Yes, did know about the ‘dedding’ of poor Nigel [that’s why I lost interest; not so much at loss of the character but because of the way it was trumpeted – the event which would SATTC by way of a ‘celebration’]. Also knew about Helen and her turkey baster babe [and subsequently how Baby Cheesus transformed Hellqueen into a serene being]. The Lizard was in the process of poaching Roy Tugger from GG just as I was leaving. Had suffered the Kenton / Jolene / Cathy & Jamie’s reaction story line – I was still at home when that blew up.

So it seems that the only new developments are the arrival of another Grundy… and we knew that was happening anyway and Jamie going off to the Bull

Can’t say I am missing Cathy’s whining. Glad to be spared that. Don’t blame Jamie – or Kenton.

So as you can see, an addict albeit [temporarily?] ‘lapsed’ – but I suppose I’ll get into the habit again once I get home.

Thank you for the reply …. I can relax again knowing that I’ve not missed a great SL!!

Archived