ALDI Satellite System - this Thursday

Way2Go

If anyone is interested, this Thursday (19th) Aldi has the 'Satallite in a Suitcase' for sale at £49.99

"Get your favourite channels wherever you are with this digital kit for Satellite TV. "

> Receives 220 TV channels and over 4000 radio channels§

> Auto/manual tune and store

> Electronic programme/now and next guide where broadcast

> Multi-picture browsing/picture zoom

> Teletext as broadcast

> Works on mains power or in-car charger

> Twin SCART with cable

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_19023.htm?WT.mc_id=2011-05-16-10-55

If you were considering getting a satellite system I would have thought that at £50 it was well worth a punt.

Guest Peter James
Theres another thread somewhere about white elephants people have bought and don't use - including these Aldi satellite kits. I think its because its too much bother to set up unless you are onsite for a week. Better for caravanners than motorhomers perhaps?

An opinion based on actual use. Great piece of kit and well worth it at the price. Off to France end of month and move about every second day and the kit is a boon. Takes a few minutes longer than normal terrestrial in UK but a far bigger selection. Afraid can be a bit footery but once you gain the knack easily set up

Peter James - 2011-05-16 12:26 PM

. . . I think its because its too much bother to set up

Unfortunately I don't think the £50 covers Aldi installing it for people when they tour *-)

They could always ask a neighnour to turn on their radio for them so they can stay led down on their recliner 8-)

I can't speak for the Aldi system but I do use a tripod mounted portable system and it really doesn't take very long to set up once you get yourself organised. It should be easlily accomplanised within 10 - 15 minutes once you've had a bit of practice. You also don't have to retune any channels when you move as you're using the same satellite.

Allo,

Yes they can be fiddly but with practise 10-15 mins at a steady pace is all it takes.

IMO they are a very good buy, much better than faffing with terrestrial systems and can be used in remote hilly situations where terrestrial are not much good.

I would say that a tripod would be a good addition to the kit. I stick mine on the bike rack which means that I have to ensure that the van is parked so that it can see the satellite. I will get a tripod sometime......

Everything looks fine.nice kit...great price..some say easy to set up etc.. but WHY?why do you go on "Holiday" and watch TV??

There is wine..whisky..smelly BBQs and a million other things to do. seeing the sights,.going to the local restaurants and pubs..watching Dog racing even night clubbing [we three score and tenners plus can still enjoy ourselves!!].by the time we get back to base [van] its time for shut eye.

TV..come on..you are having me on!!

Watching TV in France and Spain..gordon bennet!!

Its everybody to there own Davie. Having spent all day enjoying the scenery, going for walks and having a meal out its nice to come back and relax in front of the tele. If you consider it necessary to embibe and take part in other activities into the we early hours, which you are fit enough do to, then its entirely up to yourself. But Dave please do not come on here and try to ridicule those that get a lot of pleasure out of the tv who may not be able to or want to have your style of holiday.

The OP was about the kit and not about the style of holiday you wish to have.

Guest Peter James

Thanks for the interesting posts.

Lidl had a similar system earlier this month at £29.99 but quickly sold out.

But even at £50 I am sure they are still great value for money if you are going to use them - which I would not.

I rarely even watch live TV at home, but record TV on to DVDs so I can watch them when I want, and I take the DVDs away with me to watch when its raining.

(You can pay over £100 just for a caravan TV aerial.)

I bought a PC from Aldi 10 years ago which I am using now.

I bought a DVD recorder from them which didn't work properly, but I took it back and they gave an immediate full refund without quibbling, so I wouldn't hesitate to buy from Aldi again.

413388461_lidlsatellite.jpg.14b695a4303d445df41919b5f3e9d1e0.jpg

Guest Peter James
Way2Go - 2011-05-16 1:35 PM

Peter James - 2011-05-16 12:26 PM

. . . I think its because its too much bother to set up

Unfortunately I don't think the £50 covers Aldi installing it for people when they tour *-)

They could always ask a neighnour to turn on their radio for them so they can stay led down on their recliner 8-)

I can't speak for the Aldi system but I do use a tripod mounted portable system and it really doesn't take very long to set up once you get yourself organised. It should be easlily accomplanised within 10 - 15 minutes once you've had a bit of practice. You also don't have to retune any channels when you move as you're using the same satellite.

I have a plain white van so my usual overnight parking spot is on a quiet street, or seafront that bans motorhomes, overnight sleeping, occupancy etc. I think a Sat dish on a tripod outside might be a little indiscrete, even for me *-)

But I can see its a great buy if your idea of a holiday is to stay on a campsite for a week.

cheetahdavie - 2011-05-16 11:30 PM

Everything looks fine.nice kit...great price..some say easy to set up etc.. but WHY?why do you go on "Holiday" and watch TV??

QUOTE]

Well you've asked so I'll answer.

We go away in our van and do whatever we choose. Like most people would do I suspect.

After all, you'd be pretty odd if you went away, came home and then informed that you'd had the same few days camping in exactly the same format as say, a friend or a neighbour.

WHY would you do that? Now that WOULD be odd.

What a preposterous question it is, why would you watch TV on holiday. Because you can, that's why. Along with, sleeping, showering, reading, moving ones bowels, washing flies off the van, taking some sun, cooking, having a takeaway meal delivered to your van, dining out, moaning about your neighbours kids/dog/choice of clothes/quality of sun loungers.

You get the drift. I hope.

Do whatever makes you happy.

Or sad if you're that way inclined. Each to their own.

Curiosity once got the better of me when on site. I asked a very elderly chap why he chose to camp at weekend when the site was busier, more expensive and full of kids.

His reponse?

Because he was attending a global traffic light appreciation society meeting 8-)

Honestly.

Martyn

Guest pelmetman

Been to Aldi this morning and bought one :D ................surprisingly light B-) .............

Question :D .........I know the dish is not big enough to pick up stuff in Spain..............but!.....If I buy a bigger dish to use just in Spain, which I can dump at my Old mans, will the rest of the gubbins (technical Term ;-) ) be ok just to plug into a larger dish (?)

I bought one of these about 3 years ago and never got a signal! Spent half my 1st holiday after it walking round France saying very frustatedly 'Anything yet?' and driving the Mrs mad- in the end packed it all up again and put it in the garage where it stayed for about 2 years!

Good outcome of it though, as when cleaning out the garage recently, came a cross it, put it on Ebay and sold it for £52.

I hope you who have bought one have more success than I did!

Re the question will the 'gubbins' work with a bigger dish, should do but it all depends on if you can find the satelite-I never could!

Gave in and admitted defeat in the end and had a self seeker fitted-enhanced my holidays and my vocabulary

Mike

Hi all

got one yesterday yet to play with it but it seems ok instruction re satallites are very comprhensive 5% north 10% south 10% = 1mm etc etc!!!!

I'm sure once i get the hang of it it'll be fine.

where do poeple usually stick them (for want of better phrase!!!) (lol)

Cheers

On occasion I have used the sucker mount on the roof and hung out a roof vent to adjust. I have purchased a lazer level from Aldi, thrown away the level and used the tripod to mount the dish. You need to ensure the dish has a clear view and if possible shelter from wind if blustery.

Hi similar to Sshortcircuit with the roof mounting idea. I have used a G-clamp with a hole in it to accept the dish spike and clamped it to the roof bars. Access is vial the large heki so a roof ladder is nor required. All works well.

Mike

It's worth paying £50 just for the receiver, it's 12v and has the easiest signal finder built in, that I have ever used.

Put the box onto (I recommend) an ITV channel, press menu, then press 1 for "beep", the signal strengh and quality meter will start to fluctuate as you get close, and the beeping pitch changes.

Signal lock in is instant ( no delay like sky box).

I've had one for 4 years, and it works perfect, getting used to how to attach it takes a bit of patience, I would recommend a tripod or a pole fixed to your bike rack etc.

Just bought said kit from Aldi's. I was under the impression that it had a 45 cm dish. A bit horrified when I got it home that it is only 35 cms. Has anyone had any success in the UK with a dish of that size? The experts reckon you need 60 cms in Scotland for instance.

Pete

Guest pelmetman
Anybody know what the 6 inch bit of flat white cable thingy with what looks like male connectors on each end is for :-S

I bought the very similar kit from Maplins for £89.00 which i still think is great value as I have just returned from a month in France and it never failed even on over night stays in Aires I set it up with ease. On the Spanish border it still worked great.

On the advise from the guy in Maplins I bought a Sat Finder for £14 which makes the job easier and quicker and you dont need the better half shouting from the van as you move the dish, but I have set up with out it.

I have a piece of old curtain pole I knock into the the ground and use the 'U' clap supplied to clamp the dish to. It means the dish can be situated on the pitch to avoide nearby trees and other obstructions.

If the Aldi one is as good it is a real bargain.

On the way back from France, on the way up the A1M, a motorhome passed me doing around 80mph and they had a similar dish stuck up on the roof vibrating in the wind. Really bizarre, wish I had got a photo. (lol)

Pelmetman - the flat bit of cable is to allow you to run the cable through a closed window . If you run the standard cable through the window then you either distort/stress the window/rubber seal or you cannot close the window fully.

Mike

Archived