what's the point of...

nuevoboy

....colour co-ordinated bumpers, when the 'van is white???

I've just spent hours removing 4 counties worth of flies from our recent escapade.

And given the muck that's flung up off the wheels, surely the same goes for the skirts.

What's wrong with black?

By co-incidence, just yesterday afternoon I painted the front bumper on our old-dog of a 1992 MH in Hammerite hammered-finish, gold colour.

Looks really good (at least, relative to how cruddy it looked before), and hopefully won't show the flies/muck etc so much now...

I ride a motorbike and use a product called "muc off" there are similar products, tried it on the van and it worked a treat. Wait for a day with a bit of dew or after rain and spray on then wait a couple of minutes and hose off, some of the more stubborn blighters may take a bit of light elbow grease but i found it good. :-D

Guest Peter James
nuevoboy - 2011-05-16 11:07 PM

What's wrong with black?

My old van had rusty metal bumpers. I painted them matt black. A mistake because matt black absorbs so much heat that the next hot day the paint bubbled up. I re did them in gloss black, that lasted better.

But white is always best for insulation, reflecting the sun instead of absorbing it.

Guest Tracker

What's wrong with black?

Flies stick to your van and have to be cleaned off whatever it's colour! It's just that they are more obvious when it's a lighter colour!

Nothing wrong with black - just different!

Black is OK when new but soon starts to fade to various shades of grey in the extreme summer sunshine UV of the UK.

I understand that the majority of buyers - me included - prefer white or colour coordinated bumpers and wheel arches as it helps differentiate between a commercial vehicle and your own very expensive pride and joy.

Most of us think it looks smarter too!

I've just spent hours removing 4 counties worth of flies from our recent escapade.

And given the muck that's flung up off the wheels, surely the same goes for the skirts.

What's wrong with black?

This Thursday Aldi have a Caravan Cleaner in 1 litre bottles in their special buys this can be used neat or as I do diluted in recycled household spray bottles it is good for black streaks and many cleaning jobs around the house such as PVC guttering, windows and doors

Alf

Good comments all.

Living where we are, in rural area with lots of farms and subsequent effluent,

I've often thought of painting the lower half of my car in cowsh*t green. :-D

In reply to Tracker, I agree flies are not discriminate on what colour bumpers that they attach themselves to, but they certainly stand out on shiny white.

I've seen some older model 'vans with grey and blue skirts that do seem to date them somewhat.

Although black can fade to "charcoal" , some white ones also tend to discolour too.

I just thought that black at the lower levels may not require us to clean our pride and joy so often.

Right, back outside to polish Nancy.

Guest Peter James
nuevoboy - 2011-05-17 1:47 PM

Although black can fade to "charcoal" , some white ones also tend to discolour too.

I guess thats why the X2/50 van uses grey plastic instead of black.

Plus black needs more maintenance to keep it looking good, which its unlikely to get from whitevanman.

Archived