Extenal Satelite lead plug in point

Cliffy

I am wanting to fit an external satelite dish lead socket to my motorhome and there is a convenient space under the external BBQ flap and a suitable knockout for me to fit a bulkhead fitting. 'Do the team think' that it would be advisable to site this connection near to the BBQ gas connection.

If the above is not advisable any suggestions for a neat alternative would be appreciated.

I dont want to use the purpose built caravan external connections as they look a bit cheap and do not match the flat profile of the factory fitted flip covers of the other service conections,

Thanks

Hi, Most definetly not. There is a risk of a spark when making the satellite connection. Not only from the power to thr LNB possibly being switched on but static as well. It needs to be completely seperate box from the BBQ point and spaced well away from it.

Sorry.

Jon.

I also don't like the idea of a non-matching external feed.

On my last 'van, I ran the sat feed through the wardrobe wall into the rear garage, where it was terminated, inside the garage, in a standard (household) wall box/f plug socket. (I used a double socket, allowing for a tv aerial point and coax as well).

The required external coax lead was simply fed through the garage door seal, the door still closing with no water ingress past the seal.

On the current 'van, there is an easy and concealed coax run to the toilet cassete locker. The locker door seal here is, however, too tight to allow a coax through when shut, so instead of mounting a termination box, I've simply terminated the coax with a flat "window frame" section from Maplin:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/window-frame-f-cable-97179

The cable simply sits in the bottom of the locker, but in use the flat section is then passed under the locker door, and the extension lead screwed on (the door closes easily). I'm not sure how long it will last, but so far so good.

If it packs in, I'll simply file a small depression into the bottom of the locker door plastic to take a conventional coax. (I think this was also covered in a recent MMM).

I've only used a single coax this time, but with the appropriately plugged coax cable, it can alernatively be used for an external TV aerial feed.

You may want to consider whether terminating a feed somewhere easily accesible inside the van will work for you.

Thanks for the quick respones. I knew in my own mind it would not be a good idea to run it near the Gas outlet but it was convenient and neat .

I am definitley going to go with the flat cable but will look at using the near side external locker as it is directly under the the TV shelf.

Unless of course someone has a reason why this is not safe or practical.

Thanks again

Hi,

My Elddis Sunseeker 120 has a standard fit aerial socket on the inside and outside.

Does your M/H have one as well ?

If so Maplins sell adaptor plugs (F type) to allow the dish to be connected via the external TV aerial

socket. I bought some and it works fine and is much neater than the flat leads.

Hope this helps.

Andy

Cliffy - 2011-05-18 7:18 PM

Thanks for the quick respones. I knew in my own mind it would not be a good idea to run it near the Gas outlet but it was convenient and neat .

I am definitley going to go with the flat cable but will look at using the near side external locker as it is directly under the the TV shelf.

Unless of course someone has a reason why this is not safe or practical.

Thanks again

If you're using a locker door, check first whether a standard coax will do (without the flat section).

On my previous 'van (which had a rubber seal around the garage door) it was entirely possible to fully close the door with a coax in place (albeit I usually made sure it was run at an angle along the seal, not at 90 degrees).

On the current 'van, where the "toilet" locker was just too convenient to ignore, the thetford door doesnt have a big enough gap when closed, and the edges are solid plastic, hence the use of the bit of "through the window" coax.

I've copied this from our own website as Roadpro are temporarily out of stock but for £16 why not fit one of these:

EXTERNAL SOCKET FOR TV/SAT. CONNECTION

This is a simple satellite and TV aerial external connection box allowing you to easily connect to an external satellite dish or terrestrial aerial feed. Also ideal for use in conjunction with the Smarty wideband aerial.

External dimensions-- 66mm W x 112mm H x 30mm D

Legth of internal cables-- 3 metres

Connectors supplied-- 1 x ’F’ connector. 1 x RF connector

Fitting kit supplied-- Yes: comprises self-tapping screws & self-adhesive mounting pad

Colour-- White

D1501 £15.99 plus P&P £59.00 fitted

D.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived