Aires Update

kelly58

I have just been to France for 3 weeks and have found some changes with some of the Aires I visited from the 3rd Edition All the Aires France .

(1) Northern France   P 451 No 47    Souppes-Sur-Long is now 5€ for 24 hrs collected by the TO staff and service point usage is 1€ paid at TO.

(2) Mediterranean     P 341 No 182  Arles No parking along harbor wall a new parking place which is like being on a traffic island and only for 5 motorhomes opp the harbor wall ( see att photo )

(3) Rhone-Alps           P580 No 108   Roanne  Parking for 24hrs is now 6€ service point is 2 tokens @ 2.10€ each and electricity is 1 token 2.10€ for each 12 hrs.

DSC00029.JPG.8155c2c7783f713b3eeefed1265fc392.JPG

Thanks for updates, very helpful; do find however that "all the aires" is often incorrect in info, partly because the aires are "inspected" not stayed overnight on. Not stayed on any of these 3 aires, but friends tell us Roanne is in a good situation next to canal and handy for town centre, so seems well worth the 6€/24 hours charge. Yes Arles does look a bit like parking on a traffic island but note it is still full!

Don Madge - 2011-05-20 2:01 PM

Hi Kelly 58,

Vicarious Books do have an update page for the amendments that are sent in for All the Aires France.

See http://www.vicariousbooks.co.uk/updates_all_the_aires_france.htm

There are also updates for the other aires guides as well.

http://www.vicariousbooks.co.uk/updates_all_the_aires_spain_portugal.htm

http://www.vicariousbooks.co.uk/updates_all_the_aires_mountains.htm

http://www.vicariousbooks.co.uk/updates_all_the_aires_benelux_scandinavia.htm

http://www.vicariousbooks.co.uk/updates_camping_morocco.htm

Safe travelling.

Don

Great that the guide publishers provide updates by passing on info given by aires users, but would be much more useful to all if gave name of aire, not just a guide related number. That way all could benefit in the spirit of both the aires and the internet!

LOL - all that have the guide do benefit ........ so it's money jolly well spent as far as we are concerned! It's only this issue we've had the updates and didn't know we'd get em before we invested so it's a very welcome bonus for us.

You are obviously spending too much time with those amongst or French counterparts who object to paying on certain aires in the first place and tend to blame all us étrangers for the fact that some of em do charge!

:D

JennyC - 2011-05-22 3:10 PM LOL -  You are obviously spending too much time with those amongst or French counterparts who object to paying on certain aires in the first place and tend to blame all us étrangers for the fact that some of em do charge! :D

On the last night we spent on the aire at Souppes-Sur Loing a French couple came along in a beat up campervan , but when they spotted the people collecting the 5e parking fee they scarpered only to return after dark hooked up to the EHU and bedded down for the night , then in the morning whilst he was getting ready to leave but still on EHU the collectors returned and caught him red handed and demanded their 5e which took him a little while to find when the collector had gone the couple in the camper had a right slanging match we just had a good laugh at their expense.

Oh, we've regularly seen folk in vans we certainly couldn't afford scarper and come back and scarper and come back. At Berck sur Mer Bellevue, they used to come at a regular time in a morning to collect, people were forever telling them that 5 vans had driven off or whatever; then they started coming twice a day but still at regular timings, we used it Easter week and they are all over the place collecting your dosh, so random you wouldn't believe. Confuses I a bit, like to know what we've paid for so I can forget it, but is much better for making the dissenters pay.

I mean I think all the aires used to be free - of course I don't suppose there would have been so many - but now there are so many visitors, not just the French using them and the way costs of everything have risen - for everybody and everywhere recently - you can't blame the councils at all, really.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Thanks for the updates. We have just left a superb aire at Les Eyzies, in the Dordogne, but we too have noticed that French vans seemed to disappear about an hour before the lady who collected the 5 euro fee arrived, only to return a couple of hours later. A sign in English and French does ask for those leaving before 9am to pay their fee at the Marie, so a good clue when to leave, mmmmm, I'll be generous and say maybe they do a little early morning shopping, or is it I wonder some reluctance to pay where previously it was free, who knows. Witnessed similar behaviour at the Aire at Domme. I do think if they did their Motorhoming in the UK they would realise what a fantastic provision the Aire system is, and would happily pay the fee. As most if not all were newish vans who ducked out, had all the goodies, fully motorised sat systems, and one bloke with a motorised large solar array panel on his roof who we noted dodged off twice, I would have thought they could stretch to 5 Euro's

JennyC - 2011-05-22 3:10 PM

LOL - all that have the guide do benefit ........ so it's money jolly well spent as far as we are concerned! It's only this issue we've had the updates and didn't know we'd get em before we invested so it's a very welcome bonus for us.

You are obviously spending too much time with those amongst or French counterparts who object to paying on certain aires in the first place and tend to blame all us étrangers for the fact that some of em do charge!

:D

Hi Jenny,

Think you miss the point here. We have no objection what so ever to paying for staying on aires, indeed introduction of a charge often means more spaces are available. (Interestingly many French vanners also support charges, for same reason). We certainly do not agree with those who attempt to avoid payments by arriving late, going early, coming and going etc. We have seen this many times and more often than not by estrangers; Belgian and Dutch often worst offenders but have seen British vans also doing same. Now back to these updates. Comment was intended to be light hearted, but it would be more useful to all if name of aire were added and if posting info on web why not make as helpful as possible? Yes O.K. publisher wants to make money but somtimes giving a little is good PR (No objection to buying aires guides, just not keen on "All the Aires") Best updates however, are from comments from French vanners on the French web sites like camping-car infos, i-camping car etc which are free!

Thanks all for keeping up dates coming.

• 2 months later...
JennyC - 2011-05-23 10:14 PM

Well my point was, that the update is 100% free to Vicarious' customers.

Why ever would they want to make it available to folk who haven't paid them?

Not so- the link provided by Don above gets a "404 not found" response, any idea where this Vicarious customer can get the update?

wild rover - 2011-07-30 1:27 PM

I wouldn't stay in that car park even if it were free!

Wild Rover, if you are looking for aires not on car parks the our recent thread on here "Aires that are not car parks" may help for a start, for there are many!

There are however, also plenty on car parks, some good, some O.K. and some not so good. By way of illustration here are three we have stayed on this trip:

Fontenoy-Le-Chateau (dept 88, Vosges) We did not stay on the aire at the entrance to the village here but on the parking of the marina. This is right on the canal side, just down from main road through village (follow signs port and le boat) in a lovely setting. You are allowed to stay here free for 24 hours, with electricity for 2€ and same for shower if required. Very quite at night and lit all night. So not bad for a car park!

Gerardmer (also dept 88). Now this is a large urban car park designated for motorhomes. It will take over 60 vans, and was almost full each of the 2 days we were there, with some vans clearly set up for a weeks stay. There is a main road and flats on one side with a factory on the other. Why would any one stay here? Well it is right in the centre of this summer/winter resort town with its adjoining lake; much closer in than any site. Cost 4€/night plus 2€ for services. So wild one suggest you roam away from here!

Chaumont (dept 52, Haute-Marne) Well this is not really a car park but an area set aside just for motorhomes. Right by canal, with views, and hook-ups together with individual water taps. Nice canal walks, but a good walk to town (20/30 mins up-hill). Aire is well back from main road, further than a certain aires guide suggests, and so noise is not a problem. 16 spaces, but 3 or 4 local vans are well established with patio type furniture set out, so arrive in good time. Need to see Madam at office to have electricity turned on toilet empty point unlocked etc. Cost 6.40€/night all inc. We will certainly return here and Fontenoy, and perhaps even Geradmer. (As an aside met another British vanner at Chaumont, first time in France with motorhome, who first went to municipal camp site but was told to try the aire as was better for camping-cars!)

Archived