retiring

nightrider

On monday we did a particularly hard garden cleanout and I am now aching and paining, so I have now finally decided to throw the towel in and retire seeing as I will be 70 in september.

I reckon I have done my fair share of work since leaving school 55 years ago so I will now potter about in my garden or shed and let the days drift by.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dont blame you my friend, I'm 47 and also self employed I suffer from acute sciatica and struggle to get up sometimes. After a days work I too would throw the towel in if finances would allow.

Enjoy :-D

knight of the road - 2011-05-19 9:35 AM

On monday we did a particularly hard garden cleanout and I am now aching and paining, so I have now finally decided to throw the towel in and retire seeing as I will be 70 in september.

I reckon I have done my fair share of work since leaving school 55 years ago so I will now potter about in my garden or shed and let the days drift by.

Didn't you say the same thing a couple of years ago Malcolm? Can't see you letting go that easily.

Guest pelmetman
About time to Malcolm :D .............People like you give idle sods like me a bad name (lol) ..............Having semi retired 7 years ago at the ripe old age of 46, we are now contemplating going full timing B-) ........................................anybody want to buy a Pelmet and Poufe empire :D

ips - 2011-05-19 11:06 AM

Dont blame you my friend, I'm 47 and also self employed I suffer from acute sciatica and struggle to get up sometimes. After a days work I too would throw the towel in if finances would allow.

Im 66 and like ips I too suffer from acute sciatica,........... for the last 34 years. I say retire when you can you do not know whats around the corner. Live life to the full. After working all 50 years never out of work I feel I deserve it.

suntrecker1 - 2011-05-19 6:47 PM

ips - 2011-05-19 11:06 AM

Im 66 and like ips I too suffer from acute sciatica,........... for the last 34 years. I say retire when you can you do not know whats around the corner. Live life to the full. After working all 50 years never out of work I feel I deserve it.

Absolutely right suntrecker, I have suffered for 27yrs with constant sciatica ranging from discomfort to excrutiating and dibilitating pain, you will know what I meen the attack that lasts for a couple of weeks ish were you spend most if not all the time on the floor and dont / cant sleep. My physio who luckily lives and works 1/2 mile form me said recently that if I was a horse I would be put down...charming (lol) anyway back to the point...yes retire as soon as you possibly can thats what I say, and good luck to all who are lucky enough to live long enough to do so, unlike my poor old dad god rest his soul :-(

Guest Tracker

I carefully planned my retirement from the age of 30 and even without the benefit of a gold plated public service pension - but with the benefit of 15 years worth of one of the best occupational pensions in the UK, plus AVCs - plus capital from mortgage endowment and property down sizing - we were able to retire in 1998 when I was at the ripe old age of 54.

Circumstances have since proven it to be one of my better decisions and once we got used to managing our income versus expenditure balance - plus being happy on not a lot of income to start with - we never looked back!

Mind you it was hard to adapt at first and I did start another small part time business with the idea just to tide me over and keep me from getting bored for a couple of years - but I let that go 3 years ago and whilst I did miss it at first I don't now.

WARNING - Retirement - The hours are very long and the pay is not very good - however, the pay is regular and guaranteed and the 'bosses' are no problem at all!

GO FOR IT - ENJOY - live long and propser!

I,ve been retired for 14 years and my husband for 10. We wonder how we had time to go to work, and it's it great to be able to go away as and when we feel like it, though never in AUGUST. With grown up granchildren we don't do kids anymore . I say if you can, do retire, you don't need so much money, when you don't work. Any way the kind chancellor has just given me £8 a month rise in my pension!!! Haven't decided what to spend it on yet,

PJay

When the cold dawning of realisation hit me by saying that I was going to retire at the end of the season I went into a state of panic, how are we going to manage with no income I said to my wife?

She said check out those bank accounts where you have been squirreling money away all these years, I felt a lot better then, it will be a long time before starvation comes knocking at the door.

other people manage to get by so why shouldnt I? I know plenty of people who have been "retired" for 20 years or more after being made redundant, so I am going to spend my time pottering about in the garden.

Guest Tracker

Malcolm - if you have money in t'bank earning you tuppence short of sod all, why not have a word with CliveH about a more realistic return on your hard earned?

I'm no financial expert but I quite like these as a safe and guaranteed income for capital destined to only ever provide income and which you will never otherwise spend?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1135

PS Clive doesn't like 'em and figures he can do better for his clients !?!?!?

Enjoy youreself Malc! Works isn't everything.

My sister-in-law was 60 in January and has decided to retire at the end of June, and has already told them she's going to go. She has son in Leeds and a daughter in New Zealand who had their first grand-chile (Luke) in December last year, and she ande my brother have managed to spend a few weeks there in February, and were planning on going back for a few weeks when she leaves, and he's going to cut down his hours at work (he's a Tax man :$ ).

But it's all gone to pot as unfortunately she's just found out that she has bowel cancer and is going in for an operation on Wednesday. 8-) Its absolutely awful news - they've had a tough time recently as she lost her Mum and Dad in quick succession just before Christmas and they were just getting back on their feet again.

So, stop working Malcolm, enjoy yourself, there's a limit to how much money you need so no point in keeping working for the sake of it. :-S

Guest pelmetman
Mel B - 2011-05-21 9:13 PM

So, stop working Malcolm, enjoy yourself, there's a limit to how much money you need so no point in keeping working for the sake of it. :-S

Ditto :D ............if I am the last I hope to die in debt >:-)

pelmetman - 2011-05-21 9:26 PM

Mel B - 2011-05-21 9:13 PM

Ditto :D ............if I am the last I hope to die in debt >:-)

Why wait ... give me all your dosh and you can do it now!!! (lol) ;-)

Tracker - 2011-05-21 4:51 PM

Malcolm - if you have money in t'bank earning you tuppence short of sod all, why not have a word with CliveH about a more realistic return on your hard earned?

I'm no financial expert but I quite like these as a safe and guaranteed income for capital destined to only ever provide income and which you will never otherwise spend?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1135

PS Clive doesn't like 'em and figures he can do better for his clients !?!?!?

I've got an appointment to see an independant financial adviser next friday, so I will see what he has to say.

I commend the action of "retiring" to this House.

By "retiring" I don't mean going from slave-ship to doing nowt overnight.

I DO define it as getting off the corporate hamster wheel, and doing something else instead, such that your conflict of work time & income versus leisure activities & enjoyment is re-balanced.

I "retired" form the international business world 9 years ago now, aged 43.

I'm 52 now.

I voluntarily gave up a monstrous salary and benefits package in 1992, in exchange for getting my life back.

Met Kathy, both sold up in the UK & moved to Spain; we have since travelled exyensively all over the world: France, Germany, Poland, Thailand, Prague, USA, Portugal, Italy, and plans for a lot more of Asia in the years to come.

We've learned Spanish.

I've learned to play harmonicas and alto sax and sing (well, as best I can) to pro standard, and now sing for my supper once or twice a week ....'cos I utterly love doing it.

Have motorbikes and motorhome, have smallish villa, with no mortgage.

Will all the savings/investment income run out before I die? I have no idea.

But if I'm rocking constantly, in a check blanket with a piss-bag when that happens, I dare say that I'll not be too bothered.

I am living NOW.

We are off in the MH for the 4th time this year already, for 2 weeks up to North East Spain and to the Dordogne nest week. We'll no doubt be trundling round Spain and Portugal a lot more in the rest of this year.

The 1992 A-class MH is an old dog. This one (our second) cost us 16,000 euros 2 years ago....but that relatively cheap purchase price has meant that we can spend a lot more on travelling, on sites, on fuel, on meals out etc etc etc. It is simple to maintain. There are no electronics to break. No-one breaks in, as it's obviously a rubbish vehicle compared to all the posh white new stuff around.

We'll also be doing several more motorbike tours round Spain too....staying in dirt cheap "hostals" (in Spain this means small hotels, NOT youth hostals) as we tour the cities later as we often do.

We feel that we are really living, and given that this one life we each get is NOT a rehearsal, and none of us knows when "Time" will suddenly be called, I am a very very happy bunny.

I have a really deep deep sense of fulfilment and of enjoyment, and of peace.

"Retiring" is the best thing I ever ever did.

It's really well worth doing.

Lucky you, I wish you well.

I on the on the other hand see no way of retiring ever at all if I want to sustain my current way of life. Personal pension is p*** poor and I keep spending my savings because I dont like debt so everything I buy I pay cash and that included brand new MH in june 09. (sold boat so had cash) and numerous other expensive toys. Like others I beleive in living life now but of course you dont have to retire fully to do it. I intend to semi retire very very soon, best of both worlds as still have money but more time to enjoy spending it :-D

Thats the plan here's hoping B-)

Guest Tracker

The thing about a £10 note is that you can only spend it once!

New van or income - interesting choice?

Guest pelmetman

Getting out the habit of spending money is the secret to semi retiring or being retired ;-) I know my old man has struggled to stop spending!

I think our own drop in income has been more than compensated by our now quality of life B-)..........................I'd rather spend the rest of my time enjoying myself, rather than trying to keep up with the latest fashion or even buying a new car or camper B-)

Well I can thoroughly recommend this semi feet up lark.

It's been almost 5 months now and it's scary (good scary) how easy we've adapted to having less income and me having much more free time to do, err, well anything I like. One huge benefit is my return to full physical fitness by way of cycling, walking and the gym. I get in about 30 miles a week now one way or the other.

Andrea, (Lady T), her work dictates she's to be on the scene all or nothing, no chance of hours reduction so eventually something will have to give. That said, legislation is on the way in 2 to 3 years which will give employees more rights when seeking flexible working.

That will be too far away for us though. We still wish to site manage in the uk in the future, living out of the van hopefully.

It doesn't matter how much dosh you have, properties you own, pension pays you, whatever, if you want to take it easier, (as I did), you can find a way.

Lady T supports me 100% and for that I'm very grateful to her. At my nice cushy part time job, they've asked me if I want any extra hours, non contracted, ad hoc all on overtime rate, I can't lose, I really dropped on my feet with them, that said, I apply the same professionalism as I did in Social Work so it's nice my efforts have not gone unnoticed.

I know we all know a sad story, like Mel's, my Father retired, ill at 67 and barely had 18 months before bowel cancer took him from us. I'm dammed if I'm following that path, I said it when we lost him and I'm glad I've stuck to it.

Martyn

Ask yourself a question. What is work. Work is an occupation whatever age or way of life one chooses.

My occupation has been living, no more no less. There was a spell when someone paid me cash for doing it.

Then I had a few years doing it much better and was paid an awful lot more for doing the same thing.

I'm still doing now but very much slower and have to keep stopping because parts of me ache too much

What is this word retire. Does this mean one stops living. What a waste.

art

LordThornber - 2011-05-23 7:53 PM

One huge benefit is my return to full physical fitness by way of cycling, walking and the gym. I get in about 30 miles a week now one way or the other.

Martyn

Don't you mean both ways each time... that is if you return home each trip! (lol)

Guest Tracker
Mel B - 2011-05-23 10:52 PM

LordThornber - 2011-05-23 7:53 PM

One huge benefit is my return to full physical fitness by way of cycling, walking and the gym. I get in about 30 miles a week now one way or the other.

Martyn

Don't you mean both ways each time... that is if you return home each trip! (lol)

Not neccessarily?

Cycle one way, leave the bike chained to an imovable object, walk home.

Following day walk back to where you left the bike and hope it is still there then if it is ride home!

If not walk home, all the while thinking of what you are going to say to the insurance company!

Simples!

Archived